aberdeen-music

What do you like about playing in a band?

Moose

I've been pondering this today. It seems that a lot of people only want to play in a band if there own parts are interesting. Although I am prone to a paradiddle too far, I've always been much more interested in making good music, which often means playing very simple stuff, rather than making sure my own part is AWESOME!

I find playing really simple stuff a lot more fun sometimes too. If I ever sit down and actually play the drums on my own (once in a blue moon) I often play really simple grooves. I find it relaxing I suppose. I digress..

So how many people on here just enjoying playing in a band that makes good music, even if it often only involves a couple of notes from time to time? Moreover, what do you enjoy most about making music/playing in a band.

NB: I aint pointing any fingers here, and I'm not exactly a shining beacon of musicianship! Just interested.

From very limited experience (a rock opera, a couple of gigs here and there) I enjoy getting songs I write out there to the audience. Never really been particularly interested in ridiculous indulgent solos/music - whether or not that down to the fact I am musically inept I couldn't possibly say- and I'd much rather have good simple songs than wanky boring crap that shows off how good a guitarist I am (or not as the case may be)

Would rather be Kim Deal than Joe Satriani, if you catch my drift.

Good thread.

I like a bit of both, but I like to push myself and play really complex wierd stuff when I'm practising and keep it relatively simple in songs, mainly because I'm not a massive fan of noodly songs. That said, I do like to play around with melodies and add more complicated runs in when it adds something to the song, rather than taking something away....

I play in two bands, one originals and one covers, the covers band the money is ace and it's great to get to just jam out some simple tunes and have some fun, improvise a wee fill or a run in when it suits.

What I enjoy most is creating things, playing with the originals band. I write a lot, I draw bits and pieces too but am pretty shite at it, I just love taking a hook or a lyric and creating a song from it - whether its just three chords and a pop punk chorus or a long elaborate monstrousity filled with time signature changes and all that jazz....

Then of course there is the buzz of being on stage, the nerves, the excitement, the dissappointment... all of that!

That and the pussy.

xx

When I played in a band my favourite bit was always when everyone was playing well, the material was written and you'd just have 4 people in a small room rocking the fuck out. Especially if there was a tricky time change or a bit where the everything kicked in at once and the whole band nailed it. Those were the moments I liked.

Writing complicated stuff was fun, but I also meant I fucked it up more often which meant less moments like the ones I just mentioned.

I'd join a band again tomorrow if I could skip all the months of sitting in a room fucking up parts while the songs are written, just to get straight to the bit when everything's rehearsed and you can just rock out with your friends playing the songs you've written.

I'd join a band again tomorrow if I could skip all the months of sitting in a room fucking up parts while the songs are written, just to get straight to the bit when everything's rehearsed and you can just rock out with your friends playing the songs you've written.

Wouldn't the fact that you didn't have to work to get there make the sense of achievement absolutely meaningless / non-existant though?

xx

Wouldn't the fact that you didn't have to work to get there make the sense of achievement absolutely meaningless / non-existant though?

xx

Maybe, but I hate the writing process. That and the whole embryonic stage of bands where a succession of bass players turn up for a couple of weeks then never return my calls. Cunts. I hate bass players.

I'm much better off out of it I think, solo projects are the future. No bass players to fuck them up.

Guest Gladstone
You're just jealous 'cause I can sing and you're ginger. 8-)

I'm jealous of your singing ability (or anyone's singing ability for that), but I don't have a problem with me being ginger.

You're still a cunt.

Band discount at The Moorings is seriously great. All the drinking is actually. I totally agree with Chris's point about the feeling where everything just clicks and you're sounding ace. That is really rewarding.

I can enjoy the best of both worlds as well I suppose. Matt will come to a Weather Barn praccy with a new song or idea and it rarely takes long to get it to gigging standard. Once it is at that standard it can continue to change and improve, but the process is usually quite relaxed. Some songs are never finished I suppose. Anyway, in this setting I can really sit at the back and drive the songs along with minimal flamboyance (perhaps the odd stupid gesture) which I enjoy.

In Carson Wells, the writing process is a lot more arduous. I mean, we can jam and it will sound cool, but actual songs take a bit longer. Its just the nature of that music though, and I wouldn't change it for a thing. Its also a lot more colaborative, which maybe makes the process longer as well. In terms of actually writing my own stuff, I'm not sure I'll ever be at a standard where I can do that, so perhaps I'll never experience the feeling of playing my own song to a group of folk. Again, this band is even more different as I can really let loose. I don't feel I'm showing off, as I'm only quite good anyway, but I just feel a "weird" or more complicated part suits the music. We are very pretentious, but thats ok.

Anyway, both these approaches serve there purposes for each band, and I like the difference between them. Almost like two hobbies. And the playing styles are different. The writing process is so much fun though, when its working anyway. When you hit a sort of writers block, it can be really frustrating. But once you have a group of folk together and there is a chemistry and trust, there aint nothing like belting out the TUNES and having a good old time with it.

In terms of women, when I do pull its normally after a gig. The (un)lucky woman doesn't necessarily have to have seen my band playing, I just feel a lot more self confident - and happy - after a good gig. Also, if lassies see my bands they usually want to hump Huw or (if they're gay men) hump Matt (singers). I'm not in it for the clunge anyway...

I love it when we debut a new track and people still try to sing along thinking they know the words!!!

I enjoy the whole aspect of it - writing, rehearsing, performing, travelling. There is no bigger buzz than spending weeks or months crafting a song that I love, and then seeing people you've never met before, or will never likely meet again, getting as much pleasure from it as I am!

I'll never stop playing, but I'll likely end up in a jazz band at the end!!

Plagiarism aside, it's all about the touring. I've only done it twice, but there's just nothing better. Coming home and playing local gigs again seems shite in comparison. There's no better way to tighten up as a live band than playing every night for a week or two (or more) either. Breaking down is a kick in the dick though.

Plagiarism. The plagiarism is my favourite part. Haha.

My favourite part is the excitement of taking a new song to practice after working on it at home and showing the band then hearing it the first time with bass drums and lead geetar. often the first bash through it sounds better than the 3rd or 4th if u know what I mean, as the song then gets dissected. I feel that pleasure applies to situations when the band take it where I imagined it going or whether they take it soemwhere I hadn't thought of.

Gigging is the end of an often wonderful process and often a disappointing process but however gigs go, I always want more.

as for bass players. Kitey is intuitively on the money with a bass part.....

we have a new drummer... Ryan Barclay!!

good thread Iain.

Lots of things. I love it when I've written something in my bedroom, and try it out with a full band at practice and it just hits the spot straight away. Great buzz. I like when we spent a day recording and then when we get the tracks back from the studio and they just sound awesome. Hearing the fruits of my labours sounding polished and professional puts a smile on my face like nothing else. Mostly though, it's the cameraderie. Hanging out with bandmates at practice, taking trips to the recording studio and hanging out all day, even just doing a soundcheck at a gig and going for a burger and a pint before the doors open and having a laugh round the table. Its great being in a band, I can't see myself ever giving it up.

Lots of things. I love it when I've written something in my bedroom, and try it out with a full band at practice and it just hits the spot straight away. Great buzz. I like when we spent a day recording and then when we get the tracks back from the studio and they just sound awesome. Hearing the fruits of my labours sounding polished and professional puts a smile on my face like nothing else. Mostly though, it's the cameraderie. Hanging out with bandmates at practice, taking trips to the recording studio and hanging out all day, even just doing a soundcheck at a gig and going for a burger and a pint before the doors open and having a laugh round the table. Its great being in a band, I can't see myself ever giving it up.

QFT. Agree 100% with absolutely all of this. So much so in fact that I have nothing to add. This post is pointless. I should'a just repped Lucky, but he's a mod so that'd be pointless too.

My life is pointless.

xx