aberdeen-music

The religion debate thread

ZeromiserY

I had 2 Jehovas witnesses at my door last week. This was, as far as I'm aware, the first time I'd met a jehovas witness. First off, I am antithiest: What is an ANTItheist? | The Rational Response Squad - (as they didn't know wtf I was talking about.) so they started off their sales pitch and we had an interesting conversation. Long story short I invited them in, they asked if I'd read the bible and I said yes, pointing over to my books with the bible sitting proudly at the top of a pile (only because it's the smallest in the pile). Coincidentally, right underneath it was "the athiests guide to Christmas" (which is hilarious) and beneath that was "the god delusion". They kept referring to me as athiest and I corrected them. The whole conversation was very civilised, they out their points across, I got mine in (edgeways).

Anyhoo, they asked if they could come back next week and I'm looking for some topics for conversation. There is absolutely no way they will convert me but I genuinely enjoyed talking to them, they were nice people and I'm happy for them to try again if they want to. I find religion interesting but ridiculous at the same time.

So the purpose of this thread really is (initially) to get topics for when they come back on Sunday and laterly to discuss religion, atheism, antithiesm etc.

Also feel free to throw in things like ghosties, demons, angels, "mediums" (or cold reader's, Sally Morgan/John Edwards). Personally I think it's al hokum but if you disagree I'd like to hear why.

To be honest, I think you're just an atheist. An antitheist would be going round to their house telling them they were wrong, not the other way round.

Some questions I'd like answered:

If the whole world was covered in water after 40 days and 40 nights of rain (re:Noah), where did it all go after that? It's not in the earth, it's not in the sky, where is it? Maybe Satan wears scuba gear to work. That'll put his fires out.

If they think the earth is only approx 6000 years old, why was it made to look like it's billions of years old? What's God playing at. Ooops, sorry, I forgot, the ways of God are ineffable, they are beyond the ken of mortal man. "I'm sorry Mr Geologist, you are wrong, but I can't tell you why because even though I have a cosy-cosy relationship with the Big Man even I don't know, and, even better, I can never know, cos he's that freakin' ineffable".

If there is only one true God, why does he not smite the unbelievers? Why is he leaving all the hard work to the Jehovah's Witnesses when he is omnipotent?

You'll have a hard job though, they've had 2000 years of otherwise intelligent people thinking up bullcrap answers to intelligent questions.

I asked them if they believed the earth is 3000/4000 aprox years old. They said no, they believe it millions of years old?

They seemed to bend a fair few of the rules to suit themselves actually, now that I think about it.

I don't think an antithiest necessarily would do that, I mean I believe religion is harmful in general I think of I went around preaching my beliefs to everyone then I'd be a hypocrite. I hate those street preachers. I saw a guy reading from the bible and speaking into a megaphone, shit like that annoys me. We know of the bible, we're perfectly aware of your beliefs. We don't need you booming them around the area between Markies and GAP through an horrible sounding amplification device.

I asked them if they believed the earth is 3000/4000 aprox years old. They said no, they believe it millions of years old?

They seemed to bend a fair few of the rules to suit themselves actually, now that I think about it.

What rules? Not their own, as far as I know. JWs are not '6 day' creationists, are they? Where have you heard them say the earth is 4000 years old? From my admittedly porous memory and a quick google search the only figure they've really mentioned is 6,000 years which refers to the age of 'modern man' i.e. the 'civilised non-caveman' type. They're quite happy to accept that the age of the earth is nothing to do with the age of man.

And they don't take the Bible as being infallible. They believe in progressive revelation, in which God continually and gradually reveals his will.

I hate those street preachers. I saw a guy reading from the bible and speaking into a megaphone' date=' shit like that annoys me. We know of the bible, we're perfectly aware of your beliefs. We don't need you booming them around the area between Markies and GAP through an horrible sounding amplification device.[/quote']

Do you get as angry about Chilean pan pipes? In other words, Is it the medium you object to, or the message?

Sounds a bit like, "I don't mind what they do behind closed doors, as long as they don't ram it down my throat..."

Maybe you're not an antitheist, maybe you're a theophobe...

Why do we potray Christ like ourselves and they do in thon mag is it the bell tower or is that Plath? Anyway I.e. White dude with blonde beard??

Also discuss rebirth I.e. Some religiong believe Buddha Jesus mohhammad and selassie are all the same rebirth. That ll take up a few hours and cups of tea insist they bring cake

If the JWs had written The Bell Jar, this would be a whole different thread.

For the record, I am a total atheist, and have been since before I knew of the term. I was asked to leave Sunday School when I was wee for asking inconvenient questions and stressing out the woman taking it. Out of the mouth of babes and all that...

If Jehovas come to your door and you're ont interested, just tell them. They don't take offence, in fact the last Jehovah I had at my door brought her daughter with her who was fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. I am so going to hell.

I am interested though. Not in changing my ideals but I like to hear what people believe in. It kind of makes me sad considering how far we've come in the last 100 years that people still believe in "fairies and Jesus and Eskimos and all the other fictional characters" (homer j Simpson)

What rules? Not their own, as far as I know. JWs are not '6 day' creationists, are they? Where have you heard them say the earth is 4000 years old? From my admittedly porous memory and a quick google search the only figure they've really mentioned is 6,000 years which refers to the age of 'modern man' i.e. the 'civilised non-caveman' type. They're quite happy to accept that the age of the earth is nothing to do with the age of man.

And they don't take the Bible as being infallible. They believe in progressive revelation, in which God continually and gradually reveals his will.

Do you get as angry about Chilean pan pipes? In other words, Is it the medium you object to, or the message?

Sounds a bit like, "I don't mind what they do behind closed doors, as long as they don't ram it down my throat..."

Maybe you're not an antitheist, maybe you're a theophobe...

From what I've read they do take most of the bible literally apart from the parts that are "obviously of poetic intent" which is pretty fucking convenient don't you think?

As for being a theophobe, you can fear what doesn't exist. Well, you can but it's totally irrational. So no, I'm not a theophobe.

As for the creationist part, I wasn't sure what their beliefs were as far as the 6 day creationism so thanks for clearing that up.

I was raised Catholic, but now I don't really believe in anything. I'd like to, I envy the security and happiness it brings people. It must feel great.

Guess I'm technically atheist, but I wouldn't call myself that as the majority of folks who use the term complain about religious people enforcing their beliefs on people while doing the exact same.

Guess I'm technically atheist, but I wouldn't call myself that as the majority of folks who use the term complain about religious people enforcing their beliefs on people while doing the exact same.

The difference though is that atheists do not "believe". An atheists view is formed from collecting facts and analysing them using rational thought and an absence of pre-formed opinions (well, that's the theory). An atheist will change their views as more evidence comes to light. Religious belief is entirely different. You are essentially allowing someone else to form your opinions for you, and these opinions are formed on other peoples opinions, not evidence, opinions.

Personally, I prefer to be in control of my own thought processes. I certainly won't hand over my decision making to people who believe a book that preaches forgiveness and "an eye for an eye". Surely the two are mutually exclusive. There are so many inconsistencies and contradictions in the bible you could pretty much do anything you wanted by finding the right passage.

If religion followed the mantra of Bill and Ted ("Be excellent to each other") then I wouldn't have a problem with it. Unfortunately most religions seem to modify that sentiment slightly to "Be excellent to each other, except that lot over there who believe something different, we need to deal with them".

Well done for getting a bill and ted quote in and keeping it on context. Excellent post.

It's the whole vengeful, incestuous, bigoted, homophobic jealous yet omnipotent part I find hard to get my head around. Also if you ask most religious people, "are your parents religious?" they will say yes. It's just passed down brainwashery.