aberdeen-music

The religion debate thread

ZeromiserY

Guest idol_wild
I thought this was meant to be a debate? Inevitably it's just become a thread about making fun of people.

Just your run-of-the-mill aberdeen-music thread then, eh?

And I fucking love it.

It's the whole vengeful, incestuous, bigoted, homophobic jealous yet omnipotent part I find hard to get my head around.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Of course there are theists who are cunts. There are plenty of atheists who are cunts too. People are just cunts.

I've yet to meet any religious follower who feels the need to have a go at me for being atheist, yet I've witnessed atheists patronise and force their opinions on people who have different beliefs countless times.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Of course there are theists who are cunts. There are plenty of atheists who are cunts too. People are just cunts.

I've yet to meet any religious follower who feels the need to have a go at me for being atheist, yet I've witnessed atheists patronise and force their opinions on people who have different beliefs countless times.

Yes. Hammer, nail etc.

How so? I was talking about the way god is portrayed in the bible. If he is meant to be omnipotent (you get pills for that now) and infallible how can he have all these mortal imperfections?

I've met plenty of religious people who have berated my opinions. I guess you've just been lucky so far. I'm not saying theists are cunts, I'm saying their lord and saviour is.

How so? I was talking about the way god is portrayed in the bible. If he is meant to be omnipotent (you get pills for that now) and infallible how can he have all these mortal imperfections?

I've met plenty of religious people who have berated my opinions. I guess you've just been lucky so far. I'm not saying theists are cunts, I'm saying their lord and saviour is.

IMO it depends on how individuals interpret the Bible. Yes, some people might decide from it that people who don't believe in God or homosexuals are sinners and should be punished. Equally others will take from it that they should love everyone equally and treat everyone as an equal.

Personally, I don't believe in an intervening God.

I think Stephen Hawking sums it up pretty well:

Hawking stated a few months ago that when he uses the word "god" he means whatever driving force was behind the creation of the universe. He isn't referring to an old man with a White beard sitting on a cloud or any other incarnation of the god in the Christian sense.

I believe he could have been talking about dark matter in that quote?

Personally, I don't believe in an intervening God.

I think Stephen Hawking sums it up pretty well:

I recall watching a documentary on this a while ago, something about the galactic constant and how if the rules of physics were even minutely different life could not possible exist in our universe. The only conclusions drawn were that there either is a Great Architect or we are in one of an infinite number of universes.

Probably running on an computer somewhere tbh.

Hawking stated a few months ago that when he uses the word "god" he means whatever driving force was behind the creation of the universe. He isn't referring to an old man with a White beard sitting on a cloud or any other incarnation of the god in the Christian sense.

I believe he could have been talking about dark matter in that quote?

Yeah I'm aware that when Hawking's uses the term 'God' he's not referring to the big guy up in heaven.

I don't know if he was referring to dark matter or not in that quote.

My take on it was that the only role 'God' had in the creation of the universe was to define the initial rules and parameters and that's it, nothing else.

Yeah I'm aware that when Hawking's uses the term 'God' he's not referring to the big guy up in heaven.

I don't know if he was referring to dark matter or not in that quote.

My take on it was that the only role 'God' had in the creation of the universe was to define the initial rules and parameters and that's it, nothing else.

I'm with you now. So do you believe if this architect god exists that he doesn't really care about our progress? As in, yes, he created us but didn't necessarily hang around to find out what became of us?

I recall watching a documentary on this a while ago, something about the galactic constant and how if the rules of physics were even minutely different life could not possible exist in our universe. The only conclusions drawn were that there either is a Great Architect or we are in one of an infinite number of universes.

Probably running on an computer somewhere tbh.

That's the one, I was looking for it in one of his books but maybe it was from the TV series.

This thread has the potential to turn into a complete mind fuck.

Here's the linkage for the series, unfortunately it is no longer being shown. :down:

Stephen Hawking's Universe - Series 1 - Channel 4

That's the one, I was looking for it in one of his books but maybe it was from the TV series.

This thread has the potential to turn into a complete mind fuck.

Here's the linkage for the series, unfortunately it is no longer being shown. :down:

Stephen Hawking's Universe - Series 1 - Channel 4

It's already heading that way!

I'll have to check that out. I missed it when it was on.

I'm with you now. So do you believe if this architect god exists that he doesn't really care about our progress? As in, yes, he created us but didn't necessarily hang around to find out what became of us?

To a certain extent but I wouldn't say 'created us'. Created the universe but then let the universe evolve on its own. No great master plan to create earth or humans, that just happened by chance.

That's how I've interpreted the Hawking's quote anyway.

2834305343_4dbbf7fff7.jpg?v=0

Uh-oh, i better put my wild behaviour in check. Quoting someone out of context must be high on the lords list of brimstone related vengeance.

"Then the Lord rained brimstone and fire on Sodom and Gomorrah, from the Lord out of the heavens"* Genesis 19:24.* "Turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly"* II Peter 2:6.*