aberdeen-music

The religion debate thread

ZeromiserY

o_O

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

So, actually, it's the same message as the bible.

Springer probably doesn't contradict himself in the same breath though. "Take care of yourself and each other, unless someone is bad to you, in which case you should take appropriate revenge, even if it goes against what I've just said".

So, in short, Jerry Springer has more moral authority than the bible. Hurray.

Springer probably doesn't contradict himself in the same breath though. "Take care of yourself and each other, unless someone is bad to you, in which case you should take appropriate revenge, even if it goes against what I've just said".

So, in short, Jerry Springer has more moral authority than the bible. Hurray.

I guess it depends on which part of the Bible. I mean, with Jesus in the New Testament it's pretty straightforward and non-contradictory. Treat everyone as you want to be treated, don't judge unless you are willing to be judged, turn the other cheek, the meek shall inherit yaddah yaddah...

The contradictions are there if you take the Old Testament at face value which is what I was debating with Shaki earlier in the thread. Personally, I don't think we should and I've given my reasons - it is massively contradictory, open to interpretation and potentially corrupted by the men who wrote it. However, the whole 'eye for an eye' thing was rebutted later by Jesus who used it in his 'turn the other cheek' speech.

Just playing devil's advocate again.

I honestly can't get my head around the double think that allows people to say the Old Testament is fanciful but the New Testament is right on. I'm not playing Devil's Advocate either, it's pretty crazy. I suppose at least fundamentalists have the courage of their convictions.

Or at least apples to shag in heaven.