aberdeen-music

HMV to close?

Lemonade

The plot thickens on FaceBook -

"Got to love the fact that the guy who posted this did it from the comfort of his bedroom, due to being laid off yesterday, and that said post has the most ''likes'' and comments of any One Up post, ever. Says it all, really."

Yeah that's a bit strange. It wasn't a malicious post just trying to encourage people to go to One Up instead of downloading which is why I think people are liking it.

Now that would be a tragedy, even though the hugest bit of my nostalgic love is for the Rosemount Viaduct store, my portal into just how weird, cool and fascinating music can be, hope you survive, old guide.

A shame, but not really a huge surprise. Very difficult to keep an independent record shop going these days, there are only so many Day V Lately's in this world.

Would much rather see HMV close. Sorry if you work in HMW (nothing personal) but it's soulless national chain with nothing unique to offer anyone, except perhaps it's shareholders.

I feel a little bit guilty because our jukebox is at capacity, and we've had a new one sitting waiting for me to get of my arse and install it for well over a year now. Hence there hasn't been any official Moorings patronage of One Up... but it's not like we've been buying stuff elsewhere.

One Up has advantages over both the Internet and the nationals. Firstly it's able to offer an experience that cannot easily be duplicated on-line. Atmosphere, advice, fun, in-store gigs, the sheer joy of browsing, accessibility of related paraphernalia, the friendly and knowledgeable staff etc.

These days there are, in my experience, little in the way of worthwhile savings to be made from shopping on-line. A few times I've actually bought something on-line only to later see it cheaper in a local outlet.

On-line works best when:

you don't need advice or after sales service.

you know precisely what you want.

it's a bulky item that is harder to lug home, like a TV.

you don't need to try out or see the thing before you purchase it.

you can't be arsed getting off your arse to get it

you're are fairly certain that you'll be home when the postman comes.

In the case of CDs there is no advantage to going on-line unless one is looking for something specific that One Up is unlikely to have in stock.

Most of us are in town on a regular basis anyway. It's nice to nip into One Up, have a browse around, pick up stuff you like, shoot the shit, and take it home. It's not heavy, it's not any more expensive, and it's fun to do.

The anal antisocial trolling daleks out there will strongly disagree with those statements, but their opinions are worthless, so just ignore them. Trust me, those prats would download beer if it were possible (after all they already download sex).

And as the daleks will point out the thrust of my argument has been predicated on CDs. Surely the MP3 changes everything? After all hasn't it been scientifically proven that a human cannot distinguish between CD and MP3? Well actually no... perhaps a dalek can't tell the difference (or God help them may prefer the dull grainy lifeless sound), but the rest of us can easily distinguish, except in a very noisy environment. And the difference is massive. For this reason we run full CD audio in our jukebox. There are zero MP3s in there.

If you really love music, then sound quality should be important. Any expert will tell you that a high quality system punishes a bad recording whereas a poor quality system flatters one. So dig out those valve separates and dust off your CDs. There life in them yet. It's true that in the future, we'll have access to so much storage and bandwidth that it will be viable to download full WAV audio, but we're not there yet, so why fork out the same for an intangible album of MP3s as you would for a much better sounding CD?

Finally, there also the problem of being British and therefore heavily under US influence. In some other countries, particularly in Europe, people will defend their privately operated local outlets at all costs. They avoid shopping in supermarkets, they won't eat in a McDonalds, and they would never spend their night out in something like a Wetherspoons. They also feel much the same way towards the on-line experience. This is a cultural thing, where people have educated themselves and each other to value that which is unique and therefore irreplaceable. That's why they avoid tearing own historic buildings, bulldozing public parks *COUGH*, and abandoning their high streets. That's why people enjoy the experience of visiting these places on holiday. It's unique, it's quaint, it's lovely, and it's a high quality fully immersive and interactive experience. And if we allow these things to be eradicated then our world becomes dull, and our lives become poorer.

So lets all get off our arses; all we need do to safeguard the future of One Up is to go there a bit more often. I rest my case :)

Walk in the Light

Not much point in buying a CD if you're going to rip it to an mp3 player or your computer, which I suspect is what the vast majority of people do now.

It would be crap if One Up closed down for reasons already mentioned, but they don't seem to be doing anything to compensate for online sales or what not. Why not have a few PCs were people can download stuff and put it on their iPod? I realise people can do this at home, but if people are out browsing the shops, then why not offer the capacity to do it instore? If vinyl sales are showing a marked increase in sales, why not have a bigger vinyl section that is competitively priced?

I realise those ideas aren't going to turn a huge profit overnight, but it's a small start in the right direction.

Not much point in buying a CD if you're going to rip it to an mp3 player or your computer, which I suspect is what the vast majority of people do now.

What about collecting?

I rip all my cds onto my laptop so I can listen to on my iPod. I never use cd players. But I like having them. I've actually got cds that I don't listen to but damned if I sell them.

I also have unopened stuff that I've bought just so I have it.

Not much point in listening to music if you don't care how it sounds. Not much point in painstakingly recording something if people don't give a shit how it sounds. MP3 players have their purpose: portability. See all this stuff about linking you MP3 player to your HiFi - that stuff exists to separate gullible people from money.

I'd rather have the CD for the quality, and rip it to MP3 for when I need portability. If the computer is integrated into a HiFI system then I'd rip a WAV from the CD. But listening to music through shitty computer speakers??? Gads!

Why not have a few PCs were people can download stuff and put it on their iPod?

Because:

1) The CD costs the same and offers much more, so only an idiot would choose to pay to download an MP3 in a record shop.

2) They can't take a cut of the sale therefore they'd be cutting their own feet. They may as well hand out free snacks as while they're at it.

Not much point in listening to music if you don't care how it sounds. Not much point in painstakingly recording something if people don't give a shit how it sounds. MP3 players have their purpose: portability. See all this stuff about linking you MP3 player to your HiFi - that stuff exists to separate gullible people from money.

I'd rather have the CD for the quality, and rip it to MP3 for when I need portability. If the computer is integrated into a HiFI system then I'd rip a WAV from the CD. But listening to music through shitty computer speakers??? Gads!

Because:

1) The CD costs the same and offers much more, so only an idiot would choose to pay to download an MP3 in a record shop.

2) They can't take a cut of the sale therefore they'd be cutting their own feet. They may as well hand out free snacks as while they're at it.

3) No manufacturer has a yet combined an MP3 player with a spliff roller.

Because:

I said "vast majority" for a reason. The people on this website do not come into that. I should have made that more clear.

Last time I checked, One Up didn't operate a 'No Idiots' policy. Why can't they take a cut of the sales?

I don't have anything for playing CDs at home. I didn't realise this meant that I hate music.

Lesson learned!

I'm sure you don't hate music, but trust me you'd enjoy it much more through a decent system.

If anyone would like to experience this, then my age old offer still stands: PM me and arrange to visit me in the bar out of hours. Bring your favourite CD's. I can't give you anything to drink, but I can let you hear your music as it was intended to sound.

EDIT: if you don't own any CDs then you can listen to the ones I bought from One Up :)

My HiFi is awesome, but I still use an iPod too, and plugging my iPod into my awesome HiFi still sounds awesome too. But I mostly play the CD/LP when at home, though its difficult to tell the difference between a CD and an MP3 ripped at 320kbps. Especially at home volumes.

I'm still more inclined to buy online than OneUp, because it's astronimically cheaper and I'm skint because of Tory cunts.

My HiFi is awesome, but I still use an iPod too, and plugging my iPod into my awesome HiFi still sounds awesome too. But I mostly play the CD/LP when at home, though its difficult to tell the difference between a CD and an MP3 ripped at 320kbps. Especially at home volumes.

I'm still more inclined to buy online than OneUp, because it's astronimically cheaper and I'm skint because of Tory cunts.

See i find that a good HiFi over-exposes the missing elements of a compressed music file and it grips my shit no end. Depending on types of music i'm fairly confident i can tell the difference between CD quality and 320kbps but i work with it all the time and i know what i'm listening for so i'm stuck not enjoying mp3 playback on anything other than an mp3 player and occasionally streamed from my hard-drive through either my PS3 or laptop connected to my HiFi set-up (largely out of convenience with options like shuffle etc though if i want to listen to a specific album i'll get the CD out).

I wouldn't say i have anything other than a mid-range set-up leaning slightly more heavily towards the home-cinema end of the spectrum but i chose the amp i had on its versatility and musicality.

Same. I rarely touch my CDs, but I know my ipod isn't going to last forever. once it bites the dust then that'd be all my music gone if I didn't own the CDs.

This is the crux for me also, can't bear the thought of all my music collection being on some hard drive that goes tits up. I realise back up to another hard drive etc is an option but it's too much fucking about for my liking. I like having shelves heaving with CD's that represent a collection that has been bought for love of the music, because the cover looked interesting or even for reasons I cannot remember.

I am in serious need of a clear-out though....