aberdeen-music

HMV to close?

Lemonade

I must admit i love HMV for the odd deal you, like box sets from 100 down to half price or whatever, you could find that online but for people like me whole live 50 miles out of Aberdeen its hard to find the deal in the first place. I also totally that recently i've went in and there was nothing that i wanted to buy, except the Reservoir Dogs badges.

As for Waterstone's I've never been in the there and bought any thing, i do tend to buy my books online but CD's i do like a good rake One-UP!

What sort of playback quality is Spotify streaming? Plugging my laptop into the AUX IN on my HiFi amp sounds pretty damn good too. Better than my iPod actually. But iPods sounds a bit arse no matter what bitrate of MP3 it's playing.

192kbps for normal, 320kbps on premium. Sounds washy and clipped on my stuff, but still pretty listenable.

But is it how the artist intended it to be heard?

Given that the artist probably paid for it to be recorded at the highest quality they could afford, the thought that somebody is just going to gut the treble and low-end out of it when they inevitably download it compressed to fuck at 48kbps from a p2p i'd say the term soul destroying pops into mind ;)

Spotify normal quality is alright. I can't really tell the difference upward from 160kbps anyway. Neither can the encoder, most of the time. I re-ripped a bunch of my CDs, over the wintry days, and encoded them with variable bit-rate, highest quality in LAME. I noticed most frames were encoded in the 160-220 range so a fixed 192kbps encoding will capture all but the busiest tracks fine.

and HMV fucking suck. sort out your electronica section, you have nothing I want.