aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

I think his signings mostly look pretty good. Paul Hartley is the best Dons signing in years! Vernon pretty good too. I've seen signs of promise the couple of games I've been to this season, particularly from last season. Defence is shocking though.

However, the man is an arrogant prick (or at least he comes across that way in interviews). I had it confirmed from 'a source close the club' that MM barely gets involved in training, the taining they do get is shit, he has no rapport with the players and everyone hates Scott Leitch.

Still, I'd give him to the end of the season.

Strange, if he's so shit how come he did well at 'Well?

Strange, if he's so shit how come he did well at 'Well?

He had a good first season at Well, but they finished seventh in his second. I honestly don't know why McGhee was being talked up so much for the Hearts / Celtic / Scotland jobs, as his record as a manager is pretty unspectacular. If memory serves he got sacked from Wolves, Brighton and Millwall, no? It's like some giant smokescreen has fallen over Scottish football, he came back up to Scotland and had one good season and suddenly the press were all jizzing over this fantastic Scottish manager, all completely forgetting about his track record down south. I would not be surprised to learn that McGhee is some sort of android with mind-control abilities.

I didn't say he was shit - a source close to the club did!

He didn't do consistently well at 'Well. This is a myth propogated by MM himself in his post match interviews.

They finished 3rd in his first season with a pretty ordinary bunch of players and not much cash.

7th in his second after losing quite a few of those players, not bad at all.

Still, we spunked enough cash away signing hi, no point losing more paying him off. Although attendences have been so bad teh board might think it actually makes financial sense.

Scott Leitch is terrible. His advice in football manager is awful. Best move I've ever made is sacking him.

I expect McGhee to go pretty soon, if not after the Caley game then after another humping at Ibrox at the weekend. I have no idea who would replace him. Hopefully any change would at least give us enough of a lift to avoid a relegation battle.

I know every dons fan has a bit of a chub for Paul Hartley and he has been decent this season so far. But why is he not taking more flak for the loss?

He gets himself sent off stupidly early for an incident that would have only had them 1 - 0 down, I know Celtic got a player sent off as well but they were already 3 - 0 up then and it was game over.

If it was my team I'd be raging at him as much as the manager?

I know every dons fan has a bit of a chub for Paul Hartley and he has been decent this season so far. But why is he not taking more flak for the loss?

He gets himself sent off stupidly early for an incident that would have only had them 1 - 0 down, I know Celtic got a player sent off as well but they were already 3 - 0 up then and it was game over.

It was a bad decision, particularly so early on....and with both hands! If anything I suppose the game after that showed how much we rely on him to hold things together.

I'm happy to put this one down to a freak result. Let's move on and get a win the morn!

If we had lost 4 or 5 nil, I think Hartley would be taking most of the blame. Hartley cost us the game imo, but is pretty much absolved from the capitulation that followed.

Having said that, I think Hartley has flattered to deceive in a lot of games so far this season. He talks the talk though and his attitude is spot on, which is what we have been crying out for on the field for years now, but he is not the player he was when at Celtic, let alone Hearts.

If we had lost 4 or 5 nil, I think Hartley would be taking most of the blame. Hartley cost us the game imo, but is pretty much absolved from the capitulation that followed.

I agree with you actually. Hartley cost you the game but the result is what everyone is upset about. Which is fair enough. I just thought the stupidity of his move would get a bit more attention.

This.

It's not the 80s, and while 9-0 is terrible, it's a game we were always going to lose, be it 1-0 or 11-0.

A win tomorrow night then a scrappy 1-0 victory at Ibrox and we're back in the game! 8-)

Deary me.

Is that how far we've fallen?

Lets close the doors now and get Pittodrie turned into flats.

Defeatest talk of the highest order.

We have been breaking records for all the wrong reasons these past 2 seasons.... where does it end?

And what does it have to do with the 80s? No-one expects us to win every game.... but the standard over the past couple of seasons has been nothing short of shambolic. :down:

I shak ma heed min......

I don't even know why I bother getting worked up anymore. What's the point?

Matches Won Drawn Lost Win %

58 17 28 13 29.3%

227 94 60 73 41.4

The top one is McGhee, the second one is Calderwood. Suddenly Jimmy's record doesn't look so bad.

Doesn't look all that great, expected it to be better than that. To be fair I don't think anybody had a problem with Calderwood's league results. It was those cup defeats that cost him.

We definitely neede a change. Unfortunately the change hasn't paid off... yet.

Doesn't look all that great, expected it to be better than that. To be fair I don't think anybody had a problem with Calderwood's league results. It was those cup defeats that cost him.

We definitely neede a change. Unfortunately the change hasn't paid off... yet.

Aye, agree with you that we did need to make the change, the problem I think is that we made the wrong change. My biggest problem with JC was the football, it was honking at times. Nicholson at right back, Clark at left back, Mackie on the left wing, Hart at centre back etc.

Aye, agree with you that we did need to make the change, the problem I think is that we made the wrong change. My biggest problem with JC was the football, it was honking at times. Nicholson at right back, Clark at left back, Mackie on the left wing, Hart at centre back etc.

The football has arguably been worse under McGhee.

Centre backs at fullback.

Derek Young at right back.

Strikers on the wing.

Swapping keepers every other game.

Makes Jimmy's tombola look organised.

The football has arguably been worse under McGhee.

Centre backs at fullback.

Derek Young at right back.

Strikers on the wing.

Swapping keepers every other game.

Makes Jimmy's tombola look organised.

Truth. Playing 4 centre backs across the back 4 has made us look decidedly flat, and punting our only left sided defencder to our biggest rivals in return for a striker who's barely played was a dreadful piece of business. Generally though I've got no problems with MM's signings, Hartley and Vernon are the stand-outs. Maguire seems to have really developed under him as well, hopefully he can finally shake off the last of that "promising youngster" tag and become a player that commands a first team place (I mean through being good, not just because we don't have any other players)

Truth. Playing 4 centre backs across the back 4 has made us look decidedly flat, and punting our only left sided defencder to our biggest rivals in return for a striker who's barely played was a dreadful piece of business. Generally though I've got no problems with MM's signings, Hartley and Vernon are the stand-outs. Maguire seems to have really developed under him as well, hopefully he can finally shake off the last of that "promising youngster" tag and become a player that commands a first team place.

Are you sure Mark Mcghee isn't Gordon Strachan? That's exactly how boro were lined up in defence while he was in charge along with 2 of our actual left-backs being loaned to rival teams because they aren't married or some similar bullshit reason.

Who will replace him if he gets sacked, and more to the point, who the fuck would want the job? We're talking about MM being binned before he's even had a full season under his belt.....9-0 or not, that is absolutely ludicrous short-termism!

Was it Ebbe's first season when we took about 8 games to score a goal, yet he kept his job and turned a corner, despite humping after humping from the OF, and just about everyone else in the division? How is MM's record any worse, especially when you consider that Ebbe had riches to spend that MM could only dream of? He's already stated that he can't buy any players in January, and with most of our long term players coming to the end of their contracts, we've got virtually no sellable assets.

He's undoubtedly having a shit season, but the constraints he is working under are both severe, and many. Nobody else will be able to do any better with this squad......but as Dons fans, we're not allowed to think like that. We just go on our merry way, sacking manager after manager, making the same tired excuses every fucking season. Perhaps, just perhaps, the reason that JC's record stands up reasonably well is because he was given longer at the job than most of his predecessors. Sack MM, and IMO you consign us to the fucking dark ages for another season or two at least.

And whatever people's reservations are re. Stewart Milne (and I have many), the fact is that nobody is chapping at the door to takeover, and despite not bankrolling big signings, he is underwriting about 6 million of debt. Whatever his ultimate motives are for the club, if he walks then we're utterly fucked, so don't even think it.

Sorry, that was a rant.