aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Defoe is fairly inconsistent though. When he's in form there's no stopping him but I don't think he has ever kept it up over a whole season (whether through injury or dips). has he?

Any dips in form are usually injury related and very few players don't experience dips in form after they've been injured. He's one of the better English strikers in my opinion.

Anyway, Crouchy and Pav are both doing a decent job in his place at the moment.

Any dips in form are usually injury related and very few players don't experience dips in form after they've been injured. He's one of the better English strikers in my opinion.

Anyway, Crouchy and Pav are both doing a decent job in his place at the moment.

Without a doubt he's one of the best English finishers. He's maybe even better than Liverpool era Mowen in terms of poaching and opportunistic toe pokes into the far corner.

Crouch and Pav are ok but hardly reliable. Spurs now have a truly great midfield and an ok strikeforce. One world class or even just dependable striker and they would be unstoppable.

Without a doubt he's one of the best English finishers. He's maybe even better than Liverpool era Mowen in terms of poaching and opportunistic toe pokes into the far corner.

Crouch and Pav are ok but hardly reliable. Spurs now have a truly great midfield and an ok strikeforce. One world class or even just dependable striker and they would be unstoppable.

I, as a Spurs fan, would be happy for Keane to go and a bigger name striker to come in in his place. Crouch and Pav are perfect squad players and both capable of moments of brilliance when required.

When you're looking at World Class strikers though i'm not sure many would chance moving to Spurs at the moment unless it's someone down on their luck looking to revive their career a la VDV. Whilst Spurs also have a fair bit of money behind them the chequebook and wage structure are pretty tight for a reason, sustainability, so i can't see Levy paying the fees needed for someone of a calibre above the strikers that we have already.

I, as a Spurs fan, would be happy for Keane to go and a bigger name striker to come in in his place. Crouch and Pav are perfect squad players and both capable of moments of brilliance when required.

When you're looking at World Class strikers though i'm not sure many would chance moving to Spurs at the moment unless it's someone down on their luck looking to revive their career a la VDV. Whilst Spurs also have a fair bit of money behind them the chequebook and wage structure are pretty tight for a reason, sustainability, so i can't see Levy paying the fees needed for someone of a calibre above the strikers that we have already.

True. Spurs did spend 30 mill on Pav and Bentley though so it's not like they can't afford an ageing goalscorer alla Raul (not him but someone like him).

True. Spurs did spend 30 mill on Pav and Bentley though so it's not like they can't afford an ageing goalscorer alla Raul (not him but someone like him).

Aye, but you're probably looking at 30m per player rather than 15m each to get someone World Class. I think buying shrewd is the best way, but putting large sums of money at someone at the arse-end of their career is counterproductive. Spurs are trying to build a team through getting the best years out of players and not having to be a "selling" club. Unfortunately it's a financial tightrope and i think Spurs did the right thing not throwing money at the champions league and looking primarily to what we already had. VDV was great business at 8/9m so i'm sure there are other good buys out there who are maybe suffering at "larger" teams through lack of game time that we can pick up on the cheap.

Aye, but you're probably looking at 30m per player rather than 15m each to get someone World Class. I think buying shrewd is the best way, but putting large sums of money at someone at the arse-end of their career is counterproductive. Spurs are trying to build a team through getting the best years out of players and not having to be a "selling" club. Unfortunately it's a financial tightrope and i think Spurs did the right thing not throwing money at the champions league and looking primarily to what we already had. VDV was great business at 8/9m so i'm sure there are other good buys out there who are maybe suffering at "larger" teams through lack of game time that we can pick up on the cheap.

oh aye, that's exactly what I think too. Nurturing and shrewd wheelin and dealin (don't tell 'arry I said that) is far better than spending big bucks on a potential flop. I was only salivating at the prospect of Bale playing in a team with a forward that is his equal.

oh aye, that's exactly what I think too. Nurturing and shrewd wheelin and dealin (don't tell 'arry I said that) is far better than spending big bucks on a potential flop. I was only salivating at the prospect of Bale playing in a team with a forward that is his equal.

Me too. I would love to see Spurs become a regular top four team and be more consistent against Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal and long-term the only thing stopping us achieving that is Man City and their bottomless pit of moolah.

I've never been a massive 'Arry fan but since his arrival at Spurs he's brought continuity, strength, depth, flair and talent to the team. I also can't fault him in the transfer market either, he's bought and sold well and he's not paid over the odds for anyone. I guess that's where having a sensible chairman comes in.

See if Trezeguet fancies living in London. He would've scored a hat-trick last night.

And since I'm in this thread: Gary Hooper is a penis and Madrid are going to run all over Milan tonight.

I would rate Rooney and Bent over Defoe. I think they are both more complete strikers, and more often than not perform on a very regular basis. Apart from this season for Rooney due to injury/double crossing Fergie/tanning in Dubai/being a cunt.

I never saw Rooney as a poacher until he finally started playing as an advanced striker last season.

I'd agree. Bent and Rooney are better strikers. But Defoe's finishing cannot be faulted and is maybe even better than those two. He always seems to lash them into untouchable spots.

I reckon I'd still rate Bent as a more clinical finisher. Bent seems to take almost every chance he gets in a game, as he doesn't get that many. I'd be interested to see stats for successful conversions of chances. Bent must be near, or at the top.

Despite his ridiculous scoring record, he's still not playing for a top club, and he probably should be.