aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone
Do i really read today that Jelavic is claiming that Man U want him?

:laughing:

He's been good for Rangers once he got his fitness back up to speed, but he is nowhere near good enough for PL, let alone PL champions elect.

Do i really read today that Jelavic is claiming that Man U want him?

I read something in a paper today (can't remember which one) about how he was claiming Man U are definitely interested in paying 13ml for him. He is a decent player, and still relatively young (24 I think), but I can't see why Man U would be interested in him, especially with their plethora of strikers as it is. I believe Blackburn have an option of signing M.B Diouf - who isn't of Man U quality IMO - and Sunderland can sign Welbeck, so potentially to cover for these losses. I can't see him being worth 13, maybe half of that. I do think he would be ok in the Premiership though.

As for Hartley, I'll be sad to see him leave. He's been a good player for us and a great captain. It was quite clear that his legs were going though, so maybe this is ultimately the best option for both parties. Considine will be in with a shout for captain, but I can't see him as "club captain" really. Otherwise, I guess Foster, Langfield or Vernon. No reason why Vernon couldn't be captain IMO. Looks like we're going to have a lot of new players coming in anyway, which is exciting.

Guest Gladstone
I read something in a paper today (can't remember which one) about how he was claiming Man U are definitely interested in paying 13ml for him. He is a decent player, and still relatively young (24 I think), but I can't see why Man U would be interested in him, especially with their plethora of strikers as it is. I believe Blackburn have an option of signing M.B Diouf - who isn't of Man U quality IMO - and Sunderland can sign Welbeck, so potentially to cover for these losses. I can't see him being worth 13, maybe half of that. I do think he would be ok in the Premiership though.

As for Hartley, I'll be sad to see him leave. He's been a good player for us and a great captain. It was quite clear that his legs were going though, so maybe this is ultimately the best option for both parties. Considine will be in with a shout for captain, but I can't see him as "club captain" really. Otherwise, I guess Foster, Langfield or Vernon. No reason why Vernon couldn't be captain IMO. Looks like we're going to have a lot of new players coming in anyway, which is exciting.

If anyone was willing to pay 6/7 million for Jelavic, I'd bite their hand off for it. I don't think he's done anywhere near enough to justify a price tag like that just yet. He's definitely a good player though and maybe after a good (full) season for Rangers he'd be justifying that sort of money, but it would be a risk at the moment. Maybe 3 or 4million just now.

I certainly wouldn't be looking anywhere near him if I was Man United though - they can surely pick up a better striker than Jelavic.

If anyone was willing to pay 6/7 million for Jelavic, I'd bite their hand off for it. I don't think he's done anywhere near enough to justify a price tag like that just yet. He's definitely a good player though and maybe after a good (full) season for Rangers he'd be justifying that sort of money, but it would be a risk at the moment. Maybe 3 or 4million just now.

I certainly wouldn't be looking anywhere near him if I was Man United though - they can surely pick up a better striker than Jelavic.

I'd agree with all that, I suppose. Mind you, the money in football has become completely bonkers. They could easily find a much better striker though. It seems weird that he is personally claiming they're looking at him mind you, that's why I'm not denying that there is perhaps some element of truth in his claims.

Guest Gladstone
I'd agree with all that, I suppose. Mind you, the money in football has become completely bonkers. They could easily find a much better striker though. It seems weird that he is personally claiming they're looking at him mind you, that's why I'm not denying that there is perhaps some element of truth in his claims.

I can't get my head round one of the best teams in Europe being interested in him though. He's been pretty good for about half a season. The last few games he's looked like a really good player, but to get interest from Man United, you surely need to show it for more than just a few games in the SPL.

Although - Liam Miller was signed off the back of two good Champions League performances I suppose...

EDIT: But that was for free - not 13 million!

Can't see Diouf going back to United but I imagine Welbeck will. Owen will probably leave too, but they'll still have Berbatov, Hernandez, Rooney and Welbeck. Macheda is due to return from Sampdoria too, so that's 5. They just don't need a striker, whether its Jelavic or whoever!

Jelavic looks fair good though, but not a title winning striker. Perhaps Everton might swoop for him, as they are crying out for a striker it seems. Beckford has had a reasonable season, but it's not enough, especially since Saha is always injured.

Guest Gladstone

I'd be quite happy if Jelavic is sold for a few million because I think he'll be awesome in the SPL next season, so it will weaken Rangers, and I can't see them attracting someone of that quality for a similar price.

Not sure what will happen with Rangers in the transfer market in the summer though with the new owner. I can see him being a bit flash with the cash this summer actually.

The story about Jelavic and Man Utd came from the tabloids today after he gave an interview to a Croatian newspaper. It's probably likely he said something like he hopes one day he would get the opportunity blah blah blah.

He's been amazing this 2nd half of the season once he recovered from Ian Black's ridiculous tackle, but Manchester United and 13 million! Haha. Even I laughed at that this morning.

Simon Lynch. Remember him? He's a busker now...

How does he compare to Kevin Rutikekeiiwkjaijiajiwijiaizzzz?

I lasted until he started singing, then I cringed and turned it off. How come every football player-turned-singer apart from Slavan Bilic wants to sound exactly like Pablo Nutella?

I lasted until he started singing, then I cringed and turned it off. How come every football player-turned-singer apart from Slavan Bilic wants to sound exactly like Pablo Nutella?

Ryan Babel considered himself a bit of a rapper...

Pat Nevin is a surprisingly good DJ...

:up:

Another reason to hate football - the FA Cup final is tomorrow.

And there are 4 Premier League games kicking off at 12:45.

and from next season the FA Cup final is going to have a 5-15 kick off and there will be prem league games played the same day.

I quite like being old enough to remember the days when the FA Cup final actually meant something.

Going back to the Old Firm/Sectarianism/Societys problem issue, FrankieMachine on Aberdeen-mad.co.uk has put it better than I ever could/ This sums up my feelings on the issue perfectly:

"Yes. These clubs can't dismiss this as "society's problem" because its not. They're not just a reflection of bigotry, they foment it and keep it alive.

One example. A kid who grew up near me decided to support Rangers. Who knows why - glory hunter, liked the colour blue. You can't be too judgemental about a decision a kid makes at 6 or 7.

He had a typical Aberdeen background. No Rangers fans in the family, probably didn't have a clue what religion his pals and schoolmates were growing up.

By the time he's a young man, he hates Catholics. Gets in fights about it. Gets arrested for getting pissed and chanting sectarian bile in the street.

This is not a guy who supported Rangers because he's sectarian. This is a guy who's sectarian because he supports Rangers.

Maybe an unusual example, but far from unique. More common will be cases where the OF have kept sectarian hatred alive unto the the 4th and 5th generation when it would have died out generations since without them.

Most of the grievances that motivates these folk happened long ago in a different country. Contrast, say, the attitude of the French to the Germans. The second world war wasn't so long ago. Invasion, brutality, murder, concentration camps, torture, womenfolk raped. The French have forgiven the Germans much faster than the Catholic half of Glasgow can forgive the Protestant half (or vice versa) and for much worse behaviour. Why? Because there isn't the same apparatus keeping the hatreds alive, reminding folk which tribe they belong to, bringing them together to focus on old grievances and telling them that the shared values of their own tribe include hating the members of the other one. The schools system doesn't help, some of the pronouncements of the Churches don't help, the continuing aggravation in Northern Ireland doesn't help, but the biggest, shiniest, most visible, most glamorous and most seductive bit of the apparatus that keeps this tribalism alive long after it ought to have died a natural death is the rivalry between Rangers and Celtic.

So spare me the "we're the victims of society's problems" hypocrisy. It's society that's the victim here."