aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

There were a couple of really dodgy decisions. The goal that was chalked off should have stood in my opinion. I didn't get a proper look at the replay, but I thought Ronaldo was fouled and fell into Mascherano, who then lost control of the ball and took a dive.

It wasn't that he lost control and dived really - Ronaldo's momentum (albeit him falling over and rolling into Mascherano unintentionally) definitly knocked Mascherano over, but once JM realised that Higuain was in, he rolled about like a twat looking for the decision.

Regardless, I think the referee had made his mind up that it was a free kick (wrongly in my opinion), but it was a tough call to make in real time.

Would have been a far more interesting game if that goal had stood though.

Guest Gladstone
It wasn't that he lost control and dived really - Ronaldo's momentum (albeit him falling over and rolling into Mascherano unintentionally) definitly knocked Mascherano over, but once JM realised that Higuain was in, he rolled about like a twat looking for the decision.

Regardless, I think the referee had made his mind up that it was a free kick (wrongly in my opinion), but it was a tough call to make in real time.

Would have been a far more interesting game if that goal had stood though.

Na - look back at that youtube link above - there is contact, but you see that it was a dive in the last replay - the action of that trailing leg is definitely intentional by Mascherano.

Saying that - even if he was tripped by Ronaldo, Ronaldo was knocked over by the defender. I don't think that would have been a foul either - they just bumped into each other - the defender couldn't get out of Ronaldo's way, but Ronaldo's momentum knocked him off balance, and there's no way Ronaldo could do anything about the contact with Mascherano. Either way, the goal should have stood.

They had a goal disallowed which shouldn't have been.

YouTube - Disallowed Higuain goal Barcelona vs Real Madrid 2nd Leg Semifinal UCL

Although the way it looked at first I could understand why the ref made the call he did.

I don't think it would have been a game changer though.

You don't think 1 nil at that time might have changed the game in Madrid's favour. I think that's some Catalan tinted spectacles effecting you there.

I wanted Barca to win as well but 1 - 0 for Madrid that early in the second half and it's game on for them!

I think a full strength United will give Barca a better game than they did in 09. They don't have Ronaldo or Tevez like they did then, but they operate better as a team these days. Ronaldo scuppered any chances of United winning that game by trying to turn it into the Ronaldo Show.

This is all based on if Schalke don't stuff United tonight, which they could, considering the side United are likely to put out.

Anybody else quite happy to see Norwich back in the Premier League? No idea why, but I'm glad to see them back up there.

Yeah, pleased they're back. From what I've seen of them this season they play some good stuff and right to the end too, no switching off for the last five/stoppage time.

I like Paul Lambert too - cracking player.

Guest Gladstone
Yeah, pleased they're back. From what I've seen of them this season they play some good stuff and right to the end too, no switching off for the last five/stoppage time.

I like Paul Lambert too - cracking player.

Great to see Lambert doing well as a manager. He was a brilliant player!

Sad to see Sone go, if indeed he does.

Madrid benefited from dodgy officiating last night too. If it erent a dead rubber, there is no way on earth that Carvalho and Diarra (who was outstanding) would have lasted the 90 minutes. Carvalho should have had at least four yellows.

I see Aluko has announced he's leaving at the end of the season (according to the EE). Bummer but apparently we get 200K because he's under 24? I thought that was only if you came through the youth ranks?

Aberdeen FC will cash in if Sone Aluko leaves - Evening Express

Yet another player we didn't get the best out of. The P&J referred to him this morning as Aberdeen's "Talisman". Can only assume that this is entirely based on the home games against Bayern and Copenhagen a couple of seasons back cos match-winning performances have been very few and far between recently.

Difficult to get very upset about him leaving. 200k is a bonus though.....I didn't think we were eligible for this either.

Yet another player we didn't get the best out of. The P&J referred to him this morning as Aberdeen's "Talisman". Can only assume that this is entirely based on the home games against Bayern and Copenhagen a couple of seasons back cos match-winning performances have been very few and far between recently.

Difficult to get very upset about him leaving. 200k is a bonus though.....I didn't think we were eligible for this either.

I believe it's payable for "training costs" up to the age of 21. Since he's not long turned 22 there should be some compensation for this. I'm not sure how it works for the season he was on loan.

Sad to see Sone go, if indeed he does.

Madrid benefited from dodgy officiating last night too. If it erent a dead rubber, there is no way on earth that Carvalho and Diarra (who was outstanding) would have lasted the 90 minutes. Carvalho should have had at least four yellows.

Adebayor perhaps too. He was absolutely mental when he came on.

Any ideas where Sone is gonna go?

He'll struggle to get a contract with anyone higher than lower-level Championship IMO and the style of football will not suit his game. I think it's an unwise decision to move off the back of a poor season (for Sone personally), as his stock will be much higher if he can stay fit and put in a full season of the form we've only seen in flashes this year.

Good luck to him, but it'll be Scunthorpe, Preston or Barnsley for him I reckon (or similar).

Guest Gladstone

Fucking hell - he kicked some water bottles. That makes him the worst man in football? Cos no other manager in the history of football has ever done that. I once hoofed a 3 litre bottle of orange juice after getting subbed. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I just about broke my ankle...

Celtic were shite last night. Defensively in particular. School boy stuff at the back. I do think Celtic should have had a penalty earlier on when Maloney was upended by the keeper and Brown was wiped out on the edge of the box which should have been a free kick. The penalty was a stone waller, and the ref got the McCourt one right - although I thought he should be booking him for that if he thinks it isn't a penalty. I.e. it was either a foul or a dive - I think it was a dive.

Nae moaning - just saying, because this is one of the instances where I think crucial decisions went the wrong way for Celtic and if there was the old firm bias that has been spoken about, that first penalty would have been given. It would have been a very easy decision to make. And if the penalty was scored (I think about 15 minutes from the end), I think it would have saved the season for Celtic. But - like I say, nae moaning - just pointing out that decisions go both ways. Referees sometimes get it wrong. And, I know that all the anti-old firm brigade will just disagree and say they weren't fouls, but there you go.

Inverness were by far the better team last night and deserved to win the match. Grant Munro needs to work on his goal celebration though.