aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Agree with Christy on Hartley. His form seems to have dipped over the past couple of months but he is the only player at the club who I've seen control a game. Comparing the team before and after his arrival is to compare a team without a midfield and a team with a midfield. Remember McDonald and Kerr? I try to forget too but if you were to watch three random games from that period compared to this you'd see what I'm talking about. Milsom is a good guy to have alongside him.

What does Hartley do? He makes himself available to collect the ball and then provides it to a team mate. If no team mate is available he keeps it until they make themselves available.

We deserved the victory last night but we don't half make it hard for ourselves! Laughed for 5 minutes solid after Vuji scored. What a hilarious performance. Shame we don't still have Grassi, Bus and Duff, together that would be the worst back 4 in our history.

What does Paul Hartley do well?

Shows patience in the middle of the park. You know, will look for a pass instead of rushing the ball forward all the time. He's been a huge part of our build up play in this respect. Normally, having him in midfield is reassuring as he definitely does have the experience and know how to give a great deal to the structure of the team. I still maintain that he is a good guy to have at the club, especially as our captain. Recently his physical abilities have perhaps been dwindiling , and he's been looking sluggish. This is down to his age I suppose and the amount he's been playing, and has inevitably led to an injury. I am sure he could take better care of himself. You would perhaps think he is older than 34 as a matter of fact? However, you can't compare him to other players who are older than him and still playing as everyone is different.

With regards to his captaincy, yes he looks a bit immature with the way he goes into tackles, and that sending off a few weeks back (who was that against?) was all his fault. He's certainly not perfect, but what can we expect?!

Plus, he gets stuck the fuck in!

EDIT: The Dallas' love Hartley!

Can't wait for the champions league draw tomorrow.

What I would like to see:

Chelsea v Shalke

Inter v Shaktar

Barca v Spurs

United v Real

What for no real reason I expect:

Real v Shalke

Chelsea v United

Barca v Shaktar

Spurs v Inter

My biggest ask is that Chelsea and Barca are kept separate, until the final.

I hope Barca and Chelsea meet in the quarters or semis again, as a grudge tie, after they got fucked over by that mental referee at the Bridge.

I agree, Didier. It really was a fucking disgrace.

I don't care for Chelsea, but I hope they turn them over if they get them. A timeley elbow to the face for Dani Alves or Victor Valdes would be pleasing too. Leave Villa out of it though. Nice guy. Quality soul patch.

The internet means you can't get away with anything in football anymore. Not even looking a bit uncomfortable whilst trying a bicycle kick. Just ask Peter Crouch.

I hope Shakhtar win it all, against Real Madrid in the final. I have a feeling United will get Spurs. Bale, the greatest winger in the history of football, better than Ronaldo and N'Zogbia combined, will poke in an away goal in a dull 0-0/0-1 affair.

I can't be bothered predicting the other games. Football will be played and 1 team in each tie will win.

I would like to see Barca v Shakhtar. I like Shakhtar and their seemingly endless supply of South Americans and Razvan Rat. I reckon they'd give Barca a good game - especially at home.

Good call. They're definitely a force to be reckoned with. I also think spurs could give Barca a good game

This man speaks the truth, in my opinion. If Hartley had been churning out the performances that he has been in an Aberdeen shirt but as an 18 year old rookie, then he'd be absolutely vilified. I'm still to see any indication of what his actual strengths are as a footballer. What is he good at? From what I gather and have observed, he can sometimes pass a ball to a teammate; he can sometimes float a decent free-kick to the top corner (usually failing to score, though); and he can sometimes dispatch a penalty. Aside from that, he's not good in the air, he's not a strong ball winner, he's got no pace, his positional sense is average at best (how many times have Aberdeen been sliced open straight through the middle this season?!), he rarely beats a man, he's not a box-to-box midfielder, and he's not a workaholic. I just don't get why this guy is rated and considered to be of genuine value to Aberdeen Football Club. In actual fact, I think Paul Hartley is quite a horrible human being - he's underlined this on the pitch for the past 12 years of his and our lives.

Get back soon, Fraser Fyvie. You are more of a man and a footballer than Paul Hartley ever was.

He scored 3 goals in his first game, so being the eternal beacon of hope. The fact they were penalties seems irrelevant.

Guest idol_wild
Agree with Christy on Hartley. His form seems to have dipped over the past couple of months but he is the only player at the club who I've seen control a game. Comparing the team before and after his arrival is to compare a team without a midfield and a team with a midfield. Remember McDonald and Kerr? I try to forget too but if you were to watch three random games from that period compared to this you'd see what I'm talking about. Milsom is a good guy to have alongside him.

What does Hartley do? He makes himself available to collect the ball and then provides it to a team mate. If no team mate is available he keeps it until they make themselves available.

As much as I failed to appreciate Kerr and McDonald, Aberdeen seemed to gain more points, win more games, and concede less goals when they were regular fixtures in the side.

I think a central midfielder offering themselves to receive a pass and then distribute it to a comrade is the very minimum they should try to do at all times when their side is in possession during a football match.

But hey, you guys go to more games than I do for sure, so you're better qualified to judge Hartley's performances this season than I am. He's just failed to impress me in any way when I've watched Aberdeen.

Happy to observe that Chris Maguire has been looking pretty useful for The Dons lately. Won't be long before he's off to ply his trade in League One down south. Probably for Preston or Scunthorpe. :up:

No way spurs will knock out barcelona, not even close. If Barca are still wasting chances like they are just now it might not be embarrassing for them, but if they click it would be hilarious.

I've decided I hate spurs now, don't know where it came from exactly I used to like them ok. Not now, I hope they get a thrashing from whoever they play and fail to get back in the champions league.

If somehow Spurs got to the final and Bale scored the winning goal and then did that heart sign celebration I'd give up football.

Got to laugh at the beeb getting so dramatic and acting like this is one of the worst days in the history of British football. No one even cares.

No way spurs will knock out barcelona, not even close. If Barca are still wasting chances like they are just now it might not be embarrassing for them, but if they click it would be hilarious.

I've decided I hate spurs now, don't know where it came from exactly I used to like them ok. Not now, I hope they get a thrashing from whoever they play and fail to get back in the champions league.

If somehow Spurs got to the final and Bale scored the winning goal and then did that heart sign celebration I'd give up football.

Got to laugh at the beeb getting so dramatic and acting like this is one of the worst days in the history of British football. No one even cares.

I like all of this post. Chest bump!

Not sure why I hate Spurs either. I think it's Harry. He's annoying. I can't stand Wilson Palacios either. With his size, He should be hard as nails, but he loves to go down to the ground screaming. What a puff.

They are also responsible for Michael Carrick. Well, not really. He was a prodigy of West Ham's academy, but I'm still blaming Spurs for his rise to prominence.