aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Sort of a begrudging respect for him admitting that.

LOL? The guy dived to win a pen and then, to compound matters, admitted it afterwards. You can't play the honesty card as a direct response to doing something dishonest. Either do the honest thing in the first place (ie. don't dive!), or keep your mouth shut.

Just makes him thick as well as a twat in my book.

Wenger will have absolutely crucified him in private for admitting to diving.

i presume flares are still bad news at games right? will celtic get a big fine for the green brigade setting them off prior to the match starting and then chucking one on the pitch after the goal?

I doubt it very much. The police/stewards didn't do anything when they set flares off at Ibrox last week prior to kick off and either just after half time or one of the goals.

Must be the Green Brigade's new favourite thing.

I doubt it very much. The police/stewards didn't do anything when they set flares off at Ibrox last week prior to kick off and either just after half time or one of the goals.

Must be the Green Brigade's new favourite thing.

aberdeen have been fined twice for flares so surely other clubs would be too, or was it just because ours(i say ours, one was thrown into the ground from outside possibly not by a dons fan) were in europe that we were fined?

LOL? The guy dived to win a pen and then, to compound matters, admitted it afterwards. You can't play the honesty card as a direct response to doing something dishonest. Either do the honest thing in the first place (ie. don't dive!), or keep your mouth shut.

Just makes him thick as well as a twat in my book.

Wenger will have absolutely crucified him in private for admitting to diving.

He did something wrong and then he apologised for it, that's what I heard that as.

aberdeen have been fined twice for flares so surely other clubs would be too, or was it just because ours(i say ours, one was thrown into the ground from outside possibly not by a dons fan) were in europe that we were fined?

Who knows! I'd like to think that the same rules are applied across the leagues and competitions!

He did something wrong and then he apologised for it, that's what I heard that as.

Same. There's not enough honesty in football nowadays. It really bugs me how hush hush everything is.

This extends to what clubs tell their supporters as well as on the pitch. I hate how we never really get to find out anything as 100% truth. e.g. reasons behind a manager's sacking, whether a club is trying to buy a player, etc. It's only folk like 'arry, Holloway and Mcarthy who seem to actually tell the truth rather than just constantly fob journalists off.

Players these days are so media trained they never let anything slip. It's boring and not fair to the fans.

journo : 'there's been talk of unrest in the dressing room'

player : 'Nah, not at all, we're all behind the manager, blah blah blah'

two days later the manager gets sacked.

Wasn't a bad draw I thought. Leicester just played really well. Boateng still looks off the pace and Jo still doesn't know how to play association football but it was just a typical F.A cup tie where the minnow plays out their skin. No great performances but no real shockers either.

Guest Gladstone
18 teams would mean only playing every team twice and therefore losing out on the money generated by playing the old firm three or four times a season.

Could that single-handedly screw a team over?? What actually happens with gate money? Do clubs travelling to Parkhead/Ibrox get a fair old whack of the gate money as well? I can see that that would make a fair difference to the coffers if they got a couple of away trips to each of the old firm, and is that the only time when all the other teams' stadiums are full at home games??

I can't see why that should end a club - if there was say a 5 year lead-in period, they could surely sort the finances out to deal with that, and be ready to live within their means. I think Scottish football would overall be better off for it. More teams in the top flight, getting to play against the "best teams / big teams" equals better experience for their players, and spreading the wealth round more clubs. The teams currently in the SPL would need to tighten the purse strings a bit and that would hopefully lead to more young Scottish players coming through the ranks etc etc.

Simplistic view I know, but I can't help thinking that the guys coming out with the 10 team idea, and saying 16/18 team league just isn't financially viable are only looking about 1/2 years ahead of themselves. The plan should be looking way further ahead than that.

Basically the argument from the guy Doncaster was this:

Clubs currently play the OF four times a season = TV/gate money

There are currently more 'derby' games (OF derby, Edinburgh derby, NF derby, Lanarkshire derby) = TV/gate money

The frequency of these would be lost going to a, say, 16 team league and as a result the overall TV money would reduce yet be split between more clubs which ultimately means the pay packet for an individual club would be much reduced. Same goes for gate money.