aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest idol_wild

Everything about Chris Maguire is just fucking wrong.

Firstly, he's a professional footballer who can't even kick the ball properly 90% of the time. Secondly, he's by no means an athlete - he lacks the pace that people seem to attribute to him, and his physical strength is almost nil. I have literally never seen or heard of him out-strength someone on the football park.

Furthermore, he's got the worst balance I have ever seen. Even worse than Lee Miller. Maguire will topple over even if you happen to whisper "Chris, you're fucking shite" in his ear.

Also, I've never seen him actually skin a player. He's horrendous in the air (yes, I'm aware he's tiny, but I've seen small people jump well in the air), he can't tackle for toffee, he seems to fanny out of every single 50/50 challenge, and, above all, he just doesn't have any semblance of a footballing brain. He has no idea what to do with the ball when he receives it, and this is so fucking evident that I cringe every time he gets the ball. He then dwells on the ball, unsuccessfully attempts to beat the opposing player that is nearest to him, falls on his arse, and allows the opponent to stroll away with the ball.

Utter, utter garbage. I have said it before and will say it again - so long as Aberdeen FC are paying this guy to try and play football, I will not be paying to see them Aberdeen FC play football.

He's got an okay first touch and can do some neat keepy-ups, but can someone else explain to me what this guy has in terms of footballing ability?

Firstly, he's a professional footballer who can't even kick the ball properly 90% of the time. Secondly, he's by no means an athlete - he lacks the pace that people seem to attribute to him, and his physical strength is almost nil. I have literally never seen or heard of him out-strength someone on the football park.

Furthermore, he's got the worst balance I have ever seen. Even worse than Lee Miller. Maguire will topple over even if you happen to whisper "Chris, you're fucking shite" in his ear.

Also, I've never seen him actually skin a player. He's horrendous in the air (yes, I'm aware he's tiny, but I've seen small people jump well in the air), he can't tackle for toffee, he seems to fanny out of every single 50/50 challenge, and, above all, he just doesn't have any semblance of a footballing brain. He has no idea what to do with the ball when he receives it, and this is so fucking evident that I cringe every time he gets the ball. He then dwells on the ball, unsuccessfully attempts to beat the opposing player that is nearest to him, falls on his arse, and allows the opponent to stroll away with the ball.

Utter, utter garbage. I have said it before and will say it again - so long as Aberdeen FC are paying this guy to try and play football, I will not be paying to see them Aberdeen FC play football.

He's got an okay first touch and can do some neat keepy-ups, but can someone else explain to me what this guy has in terms of footballing ability?

In his defence, he's been excellent for the Scotland u-21s for their qualifying campaign, and he's been okay so far this season, hasn't he?

There are definitely worse players, I reckon. Like me. I'm not very good at football.

Did you see his goal for Scotland?

He seems to have turned in a few great performances there.

I think you're being very harsh though at least you're consistent, you've been slating him for years. The boy's 21, he can bulk up and add strength. The obsession with players being strong and muscling other's out of the way is killing football. I've seen him take on players and he's got a good shot on him. He doesn't have many good games for Aberdeen but then he's always played on the wing. Playing in the middle for Scotland seems to turn him into a different player.

Changing the subject, Stuart Duff signed for Caley Thistle. No-one seems to have mentioned that.

• Upvote 1

I think you're being very harsh though at least you're consistent, you've been slating him for years. The boy's 21, he can bulk up and add strength. The obsession with players being strong and muscling other's out of the way is killing football. I've seen him take on players and he's got a good shot on him. He doesn't have many good games for Aberdeen but then he's always played on the wing. Playing in the middle for Scotland seems to turn him into a different player.

:up:

Changing the subject, Stuart Duff signed for Caley Thistle. No-one seems to have mentioned that.

Will be a good move for both parties, I think...I hope it works out for him there.

I reckon if Maguire bucks up his attitude and toughens up he'll be a decent player for us. He's got a good first touch and close control and strikes the ball well. Look up his volley against Hamilton last season, it was Van Basten-esque!

His attitude has reeked in the past but going by what McGhee has stated in interviews he's seen a real difference in him this season.

I read this, and I enjoyed it. I then read it again, but wherever you mentioned Chris Maguire, I changed it in my head for the afformentioned Cristiano Ronaldo. It made it even more enjoyable to read. Especially "Ronnie, you're fucking shite"

Guest idol_wild

I knew people would throw the recent goal for Scotland U21s into the mix. That doesn't concern me; every professional footballer should possess the ability to kick the ball into the opponents net from time to time. Especially a forward player.

I can't really see him bulk up an awful lot more, as he just doesn't appear to be interested in improving himself or really imposing himself as a professional footballer. Which, at the age of 21, is something he really ought to be doing it. I always felt that if a player hasn't made it at his club as a regular starter by the age of 21, then he's just not going to work out. Sure, there have been some exceptions to that mode of thought, but Chris Maguire will never be an Aberdeen regular, or even an SPL regular. He just doesn't have it in him.

His reputed attitude shown to Maxi's mate in Snafu sums this little cunt up entirely. He probably thinks he's made it.

I actually knew about Stuart Duff signing for us on Monday, as he scored in a testimonial friendly at Rothes.

I'm happy with the signing. He did well for us in centre midfield when on loan (undefeated in the 3 or 4 games he played), which is his preferred position. We also need a bit of cover at RB with Kevin McCann nursing a groin injury and Tokely moving into the centre. Duff can play there and in one of his last games for Aberdeen which I saw (v. Kilmarnock I think) he was excellent in that position.

The main reason I've been quiet on the situation is due to the amount of Scotland viewing and organising this last week or so! Sorting out 14 folk for Spain tickets/travel and 10 folk for Liechtenstein tickets and travel, whilst attending Scotland Under 21 v. Austria Under 21 and watching the senior games on TV took up 95% of my spare time!

I'm all set for my train trip to Easter Road tomorrow for ICT's game v. Hibs, which should get me back into club football again :)

I'm all set for my train trip to Easter Road tomorrow for ICT's game v. Hibs, which should get me back into club football again :)

I'm heading down to this game as well, but I've no idea which end I'll be sitting in yet. It's going to be weird as hell going to an SPL match between two teams I have no affiliation with whatsoever.

Guest idol_wild
I'm heading down to this game as well, but I've no idea which end I'll be sitting in yet. It's going to be weird as hell going to an SPL match between two teams I have no affiliation with whatsoever.

You'll support someone by the end of the game. The team that cheats less. Probably ICT.

That's how I tend to work in these games. I went on a long weekend to Yorkshire a few years back with my then girlfriend and we went to Elland Road to see Leeds play Crystal Palace in the Championship. At the time I had an affiliation with Leeds and had been down to a few Premiership games and Champions League games previously.

However, not only were Leeds utterly diabolical on the day, but they were cheating bastards and the fans around us were absolutely horrible - spouting worse stuff than I've heard come from most of the worst fans in Scotland, like Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen.

I supported Crystal Palace by the end of that game. Openly. I got a few rough stares from the home lot. I probably merited a skelp in the kisser.

Then after the game I saw a mid-20s father, with his 6 year old child in tow, start on two studenty Crystal Palace fans, calling them all sorts of "Southern Bastards". Despite the fact Leeds won 2-1. His child then burst out crying, which is a natural reaction to your dad acting like a total fud in public.

I fucking hated Leeds Utd that day.

Watching the Dons game online, seems to be on BBC Alba. Pretty open game and will be surprised if there are no more goals, both team nearly scored just before half time. Utd looking dangerous though and would say they are more likely to score.

Not sure it was a penalty as it looked like Hartley took the ball but will wait to see it on TV as my feed isn't too sharp!

Everton/United game was stupid. Jammy! Jonny Evans is crap. Good defender most of the time. Shite decision maker. Evra made a bit of an error, but he's always forgiven. Good lad Evra. You did all you could.

Leaving Rooney out was daft when Hernandez is injured. Who cares about a bit of booing? Footballing villains even say they perform better when they get jeered.

Tim Cahill is the best headerer of the ball in WORLD FOOTBALL. It's quite an injustice that the best headerer of the ball is only about 5ft8.