aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

We are second band of four, so I expect we'll be on about nine. Watch the monkeys get pumped for 45 minutes at Ma's, then pop over to Drummonds for some proper entertainment.

Muc as I hate the Bosche, I refuse to dignify those scumbags with the honour of changing my plans for them.

Man U 3 - 0 Orcs.

True dat but given Scotland's ever worsening co-efficient, directly proportionate to the footballing quality of its teams, the future opportunity to see the Huns getting pumped at the highest level of club football is far smaller than the future opportunity to see Deportees playing at Drummonds.

True dat but given Scotland's ever worsening co-efficient, directly proportionate to the footballing quality of its teams, the future opportunity to see the Huns getting pumped at the highest level of club football is far smaller than the future opportunity to see Deportees playing at Drummonds.

At least five more opportunities this season imo

Tiger Woods.

good call but i'd still say Pullis pips it.

I prefer tracksuit/casual managers I think, they seem more hands on. O'neil wore studs for fuck sake, like he was gonna give himself a game. A suit makes you look more managerial but you're one of the lads if you go casual. I get nostalgic for monogrammed knee-length umbro shell jackets. Like the dirty ball, they seem to have almost vanished from modern football.

I proper hate Manchester United and the endless legions of glory-hunting swinebags that "support" them. Was in a pub in Edinburgh watching the Everton game on Sunday, and every time they scored these twunts were cheering and whooping like they'd just won the league. "Och laddie! Get in there Fletcher son!" they'd say in their sublime Manc accents. They look on their shit-eating faces when Everton's equaliser went in was absolutely priceless. Have some of that you tossers.

That being said, I hope they smash Rangers to pieces tonight. Not just defeat them; I literally want Man United to break these sods into tiny little pieces. Never before has one starting XI featured so many despicable pricks as this Rangers squad. Paul Scholes needs to be at his ankle-snapping best, and Ryan Giggs should drop the "nice guy, good pro" image for one game just to lamp Lafferty in the puss. I actually hope Rangers go 1-0 up, and then lost 1-23 or something like that. Seeing the dejected look on the faces of these mutants would be priceless. There's little I love more than watching Rangers getting smashed in the Champions League.

I prefer tracksuit/casual managers I think, they seem more hands on. O'neil wore studs for fuck sake, like he was gonna give himself a game. A suit makes you look more managerial but you're one of the lads if you go casual. I get nostalgic for monogrammed knee-length umbro shell jackets. Like the dirty ball, they seem to have almost vanished from modern football.

Brian Clough and his green jersey was a good one for this, proper attire. I think it had something to do with reminding Peter Shilton (who played in green) who the real number one was at Notts Forest.

Steven Pressley wore a fucking scarf last time they played at Pittodrie. Not only is he a twat, he's a twat who looked like Biggles.

Brian Clough and his green jersey was a good one for this, proper attire. I think it had something to do with reminding Peter Shilton (who played in green) who the real number one was at Notts Forest.

Steven Pressley wore a fucking scarf last time they played at Pittodrie. Not only is he a twat, he's a twat who looked like Biggles.

This tells you all you need to know about Steven Pressley.

Former Chelsea star the inspiration for Falkirk's relegation scrap | Football | STV Sport

I watched Italys under-21 side in the summer at the European Championship while doing my pro-licence, Pressley told the Scottish Sun. I watched their coach Casiraghi on the sidelines throughout the game and the way he used his body language.

The Italians were leading 1-0 but they had their goalscorer sent off so Casiraghi took off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves. He stood at the side of the pitch and showed good body language. It sent out a message to his players.

I kept that in mind because I am always looking for little things to take in. I talk about mentality and this was something I picked up which I quite liked.

So there you go, that's the secret to winning matches. Take your jacket off and roll your sleeves up.

Pulis is the boy. If Newcastle were ever to fold, I'd probably start following Stoke. He's got his blueprint well and truly sussed. To use a couple of clichs, the team play to their strengths and they are far more than the sum of their parts. He uses a couple of flair players with real game-changing ability (Eidur, Tuncay) and hard-working grafters (uhhh, everyone else) to great effect. Stoke get a lot of criticism for playing "ugly football" or "anti-football" (hate that term, btw, as it seems to be applied to any team who dare to ping a ball into the box or attempt a sliding tackle these days), but sod that. Pulis wins matches through superior organisation and hard work. It's a competition, not an artform. Winning matches "the wrong way" is far more credible than losing matches "the right way".

Foster, who can play at left and right-back, centre-half, in midfield or on the wing,

LOL. He can play in goals or upfront too. Doesn't mean you'd actually put him there. I hope he plays at centre half tonight.

Let's be honest. Utility man = not first choice in any position.

Guest idol_wild
Foster, who can play at left and right-back, centre-half, in midfield or on the wing,

LOL. He can play in goals or upfront too. Doesn't mean you'd actually put him there. I hope he plays at centre half tonight.

Let's be honest. Utility man = not first choice in any position.

If Foster wasn't blessed with natural pace and athleticism, then he would not be a professional footballer.

He's going to let himself down considerably at Rangers. His numerous errors will be more evident.

Pulis is the boy. If Newcastle were ever to fold, I'd probably start following Stoke. He's got his blueprint well and truly sussed. To use a couple of clichs, the team play to their strengths and they are far more than the sum of their parts. He uses a couple of flair players with real game-changing ability (Eidur, Tuncay) and hard-working grafters (uhhh, everyone else) to great effect. Stoke get a lot of criticism for playing "ugly football" or "anti-football" (hate that term, btw, as it seems to be applied to any team who dare to ping a ball into the box or attempt a sliding tackle these days), but sod that. Pulis wins matches through superior organisation and hard work. It's a competition, not an artform. Winning matches "the wrong way" is far more credible than losing matches "the right way".

Agreed. How can winning matches be anti football? He's a manager who plays to his team's strengths. There's so much bullshit in football punditry it really annoys me. Like when they say Stoke are too physical and put in dangerous tackles yet they're the first to scoff at some 'handbags', reminding us of how hard players used to be.

The whole hypocritical attitude towards 'moneybags' clubs like chelski a few years ago and now man city annoys me too. It's all about the ell being 'the best league in the world' yet when a rich club starts bringing in players people want to see and fill the stands for, it's suddenly ruining the game.

Oh and transfer gossip columns are annoying me today too. Where has this phrase 'want away' came from? And who, outside of football gossip issues a 'come and get me plea'? Lazy lazy journalism. One of them uses a phrase and they all start doing it.

Fuck MOTD, fuck 5Live, fuck Talksport, fuck the rag papers, inshallah for iraqgoals with it's incomprehensible commentary.

Guest idol_wild
I didn't see any of the match at the weekend but I heard Foster was badly at fault for Hamilton's goal.

Yes. Yes he was. And was a shambles in general.

He looked awkward and completely out of place. Much like the time I made my amateur league debut for Halliburton up front: "Areet, min, Phil, min. We're gonna stick you up front wi' Dave i'day, because you're tall and you've got a good hit on ye". They learned, though, because they discovered that I am not a very good centre forward.

Much like Foster is not a very good professional footballer.

Guest Gladstone
I didn't see any of the match at the weekend but I heard Foster was badly at fault for Hamilton's goal.

EDIT - wasn't at the goal but he did make quite a blunder: Watch at about 2:20 in.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | R | Rangers

I think that was his first touch competitively for Rangers. Brilliant.

BBC Sport - Highlights - Dundee Utd 3-1 Aberdeen

Just watched Dons highlights. Some game actually. Look at the touchline argument just after the 2nd goal. Is that McGhee arguing with the guy from Chewin the Fat?

I proper hate Manchester United and the endless legions of glory-hunting swinebags that "support" them. Was in a pub in Edinburgh watching the Everton game on Sunday, and every time they scored these twunts were cheering and whooping like they'd just won the league. "Och laddie! Get in there Fletcher son!" they'd say in their sublime Manc accents. They look on their shit-eating faces when Everton's equaliser went in was absolutely priceless. Have some of that you tossers.

All successful clubs have their glory supporters though. Even a bit of Newcastle clobber was worn by kids at my school for a bit when Newcastle looked like title contenders in the mid 90's. My then-best friend stopped being a Leeds fan and started supporting Blackburn too. Pretty sure he "doesn't like football anymore" these days. Idiot. There's more Money City shirts cropping up here and there too, and lets not forget the Barcelona supporters, who seem to be in abundance wherever you go. If Barca are on telly in a pub, there's always a huge roar when they score. Catalan through and through.

I don't know if I can really blame Edinbuirgh folk from supporting Man Utd. It's either pick a Premier League team, or stick with Hearts or Hibs. Grim!

I think there is a difference with wanting a team to win every week and actually supporting a team however. Picking an attractive team to watch alongside your lifelong burden of a football team is often a welcome break.

I don't really have an EPL team, I generally just support whoever's got the players or managers I like best. This year I'm probably supporting Birmingham because I like Alex McLeish as a manager and I think he's doing a fucking fantastic job there, building a really strong team in his own image that are hard break down and work really hard. Plus they have McFadden :up:

Previously I followed Everton for a long time, because I like David Moyes, plus they had McFadden. I might be a little bit gay for McFadden.

Surely the majority of Scottish football fans also have a team in the Premiership that they like? Since most probably make this decision when they're quite young it's hardly surprising that people tend to pick one of the exciting sides towards the top of the premiership. I can't really see a problem with a group of Man U fans in a pub in Edinburgh.

Guest Gladstone
All successful clubs have their glory supporters though. Even a bit of Newcastle clobber was worn by kids at my school for a bit when Newcastle looked like title contenders in the mid 90's. My then-best friend stopped being a Leeds fan and started supporting Blackburn too. Pretty sure he "doesn't like football anymore" these days. Idiot. There's more Money City shirts cropping up here and there too, and lets not forget the Barcelona supporters, who seem to be in abundance wherever you go. If Barca are on telly in a pub, there's always a huge roar when they score. Catalan through and through.

I don't know if I can really blame Edinbuirgh folk from supporting Man Utd. It's either pick a Premier League team, or stick with Hearts or Hibs. Grim!

I think there is a difference with wanting a team to win every week and actually supporting a team however. Picking an attractive team to watch alongside your lifelong burden of a football team is often a welcome break.

People can ultimately choose to do whatever they want, but I do find something a bit strange with the whole affiliation with a Premiership team with guys from Scotland.

(I know this sounds hypocritical seeing as I'm a Celtic supporter from Aberdeenshire, but hear me out...).

It's people who have a team from the EPL, and say things like "we've got Man U away at the weekend". No, "you" don't. The team that you've decided to affiliate yourself with for whatever reason does. Some reasons I can think of: A lot of guys starting "supporting" Man City in the 90s because of Oasis, some started supporting Everton because a few Scottish players signed, some supported Blackburn because they got given an open cheque book and the newly promoted team challenged for the league, similar reasons for Newcastle, then Chelsea "fans" popping up all over the place recently, similarly Man City fans etc etc.

I don't actually care, but it's just the whole thing with people getting all wound up watching a team they really have no affiliation to whatsoever, and saying the "we" nonsense etc. It's different if you have a real connection. I have a mate who supports Spurs because he's got family from down there, but then he only kind of passively supports them really, he's a Dons fan through and through, but out of the English teams he wants Spurs to win kind of thing, and I'm sure he'll be right behind them in the CL this season. That's fine. I don't mind that at all. My brother and Dad both claim to support Liverpool, and I did when I was younger, but stopped caring a long time ago about them - the only reason for this is some far-fetched "connection" with Celtic that doesn't exist other than singing You'll Never Walk Alone before matches. I know my connection with Celtic is a bit dubious so this sounds a bit hypocritical, but my Dad and older brother supported Celtic, and I just followed on from them, and I do actually "support" the team, in that I've had a season ticket in the past, and do go to games when I can. I don't just look at the scores on teletext.