aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

I totally agree.

Okay okay okay. New direction for the thread - has watching a game of football ever made you cry?

Almost (but not quite) after the Aston Villa game at the end of the 2008/09 season that took us down. I didn't watch the game: I couldn't bring myself to it, so I just went down to the beach and read a book instead. Came back, saw the score, felt like hanging myself. It's a weird feeling, relegation. I felt more numb than anything else for the first couple of days, and angry after that.

The only time anything football-related has drawn a tear from me was the death of Sir Bobby Robson. I'm a big girl.

I totally agree.

Okay okay okay. New direction for the thread - has watching a game of football ever made you cry?

I've never cried at a game of football, but some of the highs and sheer jubilation I've felt during and after a football match is something that cannot be matched by any drug, orgasm or anything else.

eg - Jamie Smith's goal against Rangers in the 3-2 win at Pittodrie a few years ago. Just sheer exhilaration. I actually fell to my knees in the middle of the Main Stand and starting wailing at the sky with my arms in the air, like off of a film or something. One of the best feelings I've ever had in my life, and it lasted for days.

also - Darren Mackie's goal against Dnipro. I was sitting watching that game in the house by myself. I just about tore the living room apart when Mackie scored, fucking running round in circles screaming like an idiot.

also - James McFadden's goal against France. :up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

I've never cried at a game of football, but some of the highs and sheer jubilation I've felt during and after a football match is something that cannot be matched by any drug, orgasm or anything else.

eg - Jamie Smith's goal against Rangers in the 3-2 win at Pittodrie a few years ago. Just sheer exhilaration. I actually fell to my knees in the middle of the Main Stand and starting wailing at the sky with my arms in the air, like off of a film or something. One of the best feelings I've ever had in my life, and it lasted for days.

also - Darren Mackie's goal against Dnipro. I was sitting watching that game in the house by myself. I just about tore the living room apart when Mackie scored, fucking running round in circles screaming like an idiot.

At that time though I was following the Dons really strongly, I was at every home game and a few away games, I invested a lot of time, money and emotion in following them, so when something like that happened it was like happiness x 1000000. These days as more of a casual fan I find it more difficult to get worked up like that and get so emotionally involved when I'm only at 4 or 5 games a season.

I cried in 96 after England beat Scotland. I was outside in my garden leathering a ball off the shed for about half an hour before a single tear trickled down my cheek. I also have a propensity to cry at scenes of unbridled sporting joy. The passion on the faces of players or fans when they score that big goal brings immediate tears. I cried a lot during the Korea/Japan WC when they would show millions of Koreans celebrating in the street.

Guest idol_wild

I cried with sheer exhilaration the first time I saw Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 in 1996. Sheer emotion. And I have absolutely no affiliation with either club.

It was just an amazing, amazing 92-odd minutes of football. My eyes also watered recently when I watched back the highlights from that game.

I also cried a number of years back at Hampden when Aberdeen came from behind in the Scottish Cup semi-final to beat Hibernian. I will never ever forget Andy Dow's volley winner from that day. Then I smacked a Hibs "casual" on the way back to the car, after he tried to start on my friend. Despite the fact my friend and I are both well over six foot. Little idiot. I hope the pavement tasted good.

So yeah, some idiot Hibs fan took just one skelp in the face, and he was decked. That skelp came from a guy who was greetin' just minutes earlier. I hope that man feels suitably lame.

I fucking hate Hibs.

Guest Gladstone
I totally agree.

I cried after a few football games I've played in when I was a kid. We had an awesome primary school team and won absolutely loads of trophies, but there were a few finals of tournaments that me and my mates cried a bit after losing. I'm not proud of it.

Don't think I've ever cried after watching a football match, although I was definitely close to tears of frustration during the Scotland v Liechtenstein match.

And Joe, only women cry at movies you big homo.

Guest idol_wild
One of my favourite matches ever. Jess was awesome in that second half.

What amused me when I saw the highlights of that game is when the Aberdeen players are mobbing Dow after his strike, you can clearly lip-read Eoin Jess saying "What a fucking strike, Andy" into Dow's ear.

My dreams were shattered. I didn't think Eoin Jess ever swore. I mean, he never ever put a tackle in, so why would he be the sort of boy to swear?

Guest Gladstone

also - James McFadden's goal against France. :up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

Yeah man, this. As a Dons fan, what about Smith's goal against Copenhagen? And then, just that second half against Copenhagen? I was there and even I was going fucking mental for that.

For my own exhilarating moments in football over the years:

Gary Caldwell scoring against France - I was at the game, and it's probably the best celebrated goal I've ever seen in a stadium. Absolutely incredible.

Obviously the McFadden goal against France - I was in Ma Camerons and I swear I jumped from tucked in behind a table about 10 feet from the big screen to within inches of the big screen in one foul swoop. No idea how I got to the other side of the room. But I was there, hugging strangers.

John Collins tucking away a penalty against Brazil in World Cup 98. The Howe (New Deer pub) got turned upside down when that hit the back of the net. Amazing.

Celtic turning Rangers over 6-2. It was 3-0 after 13 minutes and we just fucking pummelled them into oblivion. Larsson's chip over Klos in the second half was ridiculous.

Celtic winning games in the Champions League. The first time we were in it with O'Neill, I remember I was watching the game against Rosenburg in my in-laws' house and I was jumping about the living room trying not to scream at the top of my lungs (my in-laws aren't really into football, and they would have wondered what on earth was going on in the next room), but I remember being on my knees in front of the TV pointing at the score in the corner. It was only fucking Rosenburg for fucksake.

Celtic taking the lead twice against Barcelona a few years ago. It was a proper good Barcelona team with Henry, Ronaldinho, Messi, Deco, et. al. and we were giving them a game and took the lead. Twice. The celebrations were incredible inside Celtic Park. The bastards beat us in the end.

Guest Gladstone
What amused me when I saw the highlights of that game is when the Aberdeen players are mobbing Dow after his strike, you can clearly lip-read Eoin Jess saying "What a fucking strike, Andy" into Dow's ear.

My dreams were shattered. I didn't think Eoin Jess ever swore. I mean, he never ever put a tackle in, so why would he be the sort of boy to swear?

Eoin Jess once saw me score a goal for New Deer. I felt like a king.

Yeah man, this. As a Dons fan, what about Smith's goal against Copenhagen? And then, just that second half against Copenhagen? I was there and even I was going fucking mental for that.

I fucking missed that game. I sat down in front of the telly, fell asleep right before kick off and when I woke up it was 4-0. I also missed the 2-2 with Bayern Munich because I was cooking a Valentine's dinner for my girlfriend. WHATAFAG.

Guest idol_wild
Eoin Jess once saw me score a goal for New Deer. I felt like a king.

Drew Jarvie once saw me score an absolute beezer of an own goal for Portlethen Boys Club.

I felt like a fucking muppet.

Guest Gladstone
I fucking missed that game. I sat down in front of the telly, fell asleep right before kick off and when I woke up it was 4-0. I also missed the 2-2 with Bayern Munich because I was cooking a Valentine's dinner for my girlfriend. WHATAFAG.

Haha. I'm not a Dons fan and I still went to the Bayern Munich match in favour of wining and dining my fiancee. YOUAREINDEEDAFAG

Guest Gladstone
Drew Jarvie once saw me score an absolute beezer of an own goal for Portlethen Boys Club.

I felt like a fucking muppet.

I played a game of 7s with Drew Jarvie once - his son was in our team, and Drew got drafted in because we were short. I have no recollection of what happened in that game to be honest.

I was on my christmas night out with work when that was on. I was the only one sitting in the globe, glued to the TV, screaming and singing to myself while all my colleagues crowded round a bandit and pretended not to know me.

The Copenhagen game was weird...it's like nothing I could ever explain. The goals were great, and a good bounce at them all but it almost didn't feel right that we were winning 4-0.

The games with the most emotion in it for me, are those that are tight, almost scrappy affairs. The 2-0 win over Rangers to put us into Europe where Seve scored a beezer and Lovell scored later on was amazing; Mackie's goal away at Dnipro to send us into the group stages; another Seve screamer late on against Hibs (in the season prior to our Euro run) on a cold and wet evening midweek-er; Barry Nic's equaliser against Hearts that same season to keep the chance of playing in Europe alive...all unbelievable experiences for me.

Unfortunately for both the 4-0 against Copenhagen and the 2-2 with Munich I was in Nepal with no Internet access where I was staying so I completely missed out. That whole European campaign which is probably the highlight of recent times for most Dons fans is something I have little recollection of.

My strongest and fondest Dons memories are from about 95-02 when I was able to have a season ticket and go to every home match.

Guest idol_wild
The Copenhagen game was weird...it's like nothing I could ever explain. The goals were great, and a good bounce at them all but it almost didn't feel right that we were winning 4-0.

I remember when the third goal went in, it became evident that Aberdeen were going to win the game and win it well. I just stood there with my arms in the air, laughing my absolute chest bollocks off.

Guest Gladstone

The games with the most emotion in it for me, are those that are tight, almost scrappy affairs. The 2-0 win over Rangers to put us into Europe where Seve scored a beezer and Lovell scored later on was amazing; Mackie's goal away at Dnipro to send us into the group stages; another Seve screamer late on against Hibs (in the season prior to our Euro run) on a cold and wet evening midweek-er; Barry Nic's equaliser against Hearts that same season to keep the chance of playing in Europe alive...all unbelievable experiences for me.

Was that game v the Huns the last game of the season? I was at that, and would always be gunning for the Dons v Rangers anyway, but Celtic won the league that night, after being something like 7 points behind Rangers with 3 or 4 games left. Novo got sent off for a fucking awful tackle on Stuart Duff as well. Little mink (Novo that is).

EDIT: The Copenhagen game was really weird actually. I remember the first half being a really cagey affair and quite shit/boring actually. Then Jamie Smith just skelped that one from about 17 miles out and Aberdeen just started to play like a proper football team and destroyed them. Copenhagen. A team that were in the Champions League the previous season, beating Man United and Celtic, and Aberdeen brushed them aside as if they weren't there. Even Ricky Foster scored a goal (didn't he?)

I was at that game with my boss's wife (weird in itself), and I remember the pair of us just looking at each other and laughing quite a lot in that second half, in a state of disbelief at Aberdeen actually playing football well.

Was that game v the Huns the last game of the season? I was at that, and would always be gunning for the Dons v Rangers anyway, but Celtic won the league that night, after being something like 7 points behind Rangers with 3 or 4 games left. Novo got sent off for a fucking awful tackle on Stuart Duff as well. Little mink (Novo that is).

There were two seasons in a row we beat the huns up here in the last game of the season, one was a saturday afternoon, 2006/2007 season. I missed it because I was in Amsterdam. Then again in the 2007/2008 season, which was a Wednesday night because the huns were in the UEFA cup final. I think that one was 2-0 and Celtic won the league because of it.

Guest Gladstone
There were two seasons in a row we beat the huns up here in the last game of the season, one was a saturday afternoon, 2006/2007 season. I missed it because I was in Amsterdam. Then again in the 2007/2008 season, which was a Wednesday night because the huns were in the UEFA cup final. I think that one was 2-0 and Celtic won the league because of it.

Probably the second one. It was definitely a midweek match. Celtic beat Dundee Utd at Tannadice the same night. It was the same season as the Aberdeen UEFA Cup run with Bayern, Copenhagen etc.

I can't remember the goals or who scored. I can remember the following:

Charlie Adam looking FAT

Novo stamping on Duff and getting red carded

The Dons fans chanting: "You're just a fat Eddie Murphy, fat Eddie Murphy"

The Dons fans chanting: "Barry, what's the score, Barry, Barry, what's the score"

I went back to my King Street flat and watched the Celtic celebrations on the telly with a can of Tennent's lager. Amazing.

In other completely unrelated news, I just saw a bulletin stating that George Michael has just been sent to jail for 8 weeks. Imagine the fun he'll have in there. ;)