aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone
I'm no fan of him but on a purely pragmatic level I'd rather have him in teh holding role than McCulloch.

Ferguson isn't a holding a midfielder though. Well he wasn't. To be fair, I haven't seen him playing for Birmingham, so he maybe is playing that role for them well, I don't know.

The biggest problem I had with Ferguson was that he was seen as a holding midfielder and quite often played in that position and he even saw himself as a holding midfielder, but he was far better in an attacking role. The best game I ever saw him play was against Villareal - he was going box to box, creating attacks, splitting the defence with his passing etc. When he did that he was excellent, but he was a bit substandard when he tried to do the defensive midfielder role. I used to watch him like a hawk in games because of the hype surrounding him that I just didn't seem to get. He would very regularly pick up the ball in midfield, turn, pass it to the full back, but then not move into space to take the ball back from him, leaving the full back with the option of punting it up the line or taking on the striker/winger. The full back would quite often give the ball away, but in my opinion that was more Ferguson's fault than the full back because he put him in that position. He's just far better at creating attacks and making late runs into the box etc.

It's the exact opposite of what Scotland do with Darren Fletcher. He plays for Man Utd, therefore he must be the best attacking midfielder Scotland have at their disposal. Wrong. Darren Fletcher is a hatchet man to trade, who occasionally pops up with a great pass, through ball, lungbursting run into the box, goal etc. But his main job is to get in the face of the opposition, break up attacks, etc, and keep the ball.

If Ferguson got back into the Scotland set up, I would really like to see Fletcher playing as the more defensive of the two, but to be honest, I don't really want Ferguson back in the team. I wouldn't rule him out all together, in case guys get injured etc. and I wouldn't say no to him being in the squad, but there are other guys I'd rather have in the team. Although, if it was a straight up choice between Scott Brown and Barry Ferguson, I'd have Ferguson everytime. Scott Brown, despite a good start to the season with Celtic just looks like a man possessed when he plays for Scotland, and a man on the cusp of a red card every minute of every game. Add that to the fact that he's not exactly that good.

I watched the Real Madrid/Ajax game. Ronaldo, Marcelo and Ozil linking up on the left was just ridiculous. Ozil's passing and movement is just fantastic for his age. Real Madrid, who certainly aren't bargain hunters, got themselves a bargain with Ozil. United, Arsenal and Chelsea are stupid for not going after him. They had plenty of time, and there wasn't any better valued midfielder out there.

His delivery from corners was giving Ajax all kinds of problems, just from kicking a ball into the box. Completely two footed as well, so always plays the inswinger from either side.

Going for less than 20mil is just silly, considering James Milner cost about 10 million more, and being significanly less good at football.

There was a rumour on 365 this morning that some Rangers players heard United players calling Fabio "Rafa" on Tuesday. His brother Rafael was suspended due to hauling down Ribery against Bayern last season, and it was reported that Fabio was injured in a reserve game last week. Now there is rising suspicion that United played Fabio's identical twin brother in Fabio's shirt and in Fabio's position.

It sounds like absolute horseshit, but I really hope its true. What a way to utilise identical twins, merely to give Evra a rest. How could it even be proven though?

A fun rumour none the less. Better than the usual "Cunt City are set to miss out on Johnny Foreigner due to his 3million a week wage demands"

Guest idol_wild
There was a rumour on 365 this morning that some Rangers players heard United players calling Fabio "Rafa" on Tuesday. His brother Rafael was suspended due to hauling down Ribery against Bayern last season, and it was reported that Fabio was injured in a reserve game last week. Now there is rising suspicion that United played Fabio's identical twin brother in Fabio's shirt and in Fabio's position.

Maybe the United boys nicknamed Fabio that to wind him up, thinking that it's "clever banter" to swap their names, 'cos y'know, they look the same 'n shit. Typical footballer sense of humour.

Guest Gladstone

It sounds like absolute horseshit, but I really hope its true. What a way to utilise identical twins, merely to give Evra a rest. How could it even be proven though?

A fun rumour none the less. Better than the usual "Cunt City are set to miss out on Johnny Foreigner due to his 3million a week wage demands"

That thought crossed my mind during the game actually. When they said Rafael was suspended, I wandered to myself if Ferguson signed Fabio for that exact reason. Fabio isn't as good as Rafael, but Rafael could get sent off but never be suspended because they just play him with Fabio's shirt on. Genius. And I also thought they would never play him at right back because it would look suspicious.

Fabio doesn't get as much plaudits because he hasn't played as much, but I think he's equally as good when he has. He looks much more robust defensively. Made some excellent tackles against Rangers, which is what Rafael isn't as good at. The cross for Hernandez's looping header was smart as well. Rafael loses his cool a bit too easy, especially when a player gets past him.

I find since returning to the terraces regularly with my own club I've completely lost interest with football at the top end. I still enjoy the footy fest on a sat night on the beeb but dont bother watching the live european games anymore. Sometimes listen to a game on the radio as I did with Man Utd v Rangers, as always quite interested in a 'battle of britain' . There's way too many live games on TV and as has been stated the seeding systems favour the biggest teams. I find little excitement in the champions league, its not even bloody champions anyway. since when has second, third or fourth place meant your a champion?

Top level football used to be really exciting and when I was growing up I'd really appreciate a live game as there were so few on telly. All these ridiculous kick off times to suit the TV audience.

Highland League is ace, I used to go watch Fort William - in two seasons I never saw them win a game at Cleggan Park! Proper football that, I reported on Cove Rangers for Northsound many years ago, was brilliant fun and got paid 20 quid to watch a football match!

Much as I hate being in the conference, it is a pretty exciting league and glad to be going regularly again. Wish i could afford to go to more away games mind.

Guest Gladstone

Manchester United Set Sights On 12m Rated Celtic Man to Boost Old Trafford Midfield | CaughtOffside

Hahaha!

This should be in the humour thread.

If someone was to offer 12m for Scott Brown, I would be ecstatic. They probably added a zero onto his evaluation by accident.

He's been decent so far for Celtic this season, but he is very very very far away from being a 12m midfielder. 5m at a push - quite a big push actually, and only if it was by over-inflated EPL prices.

Guest Gladstone
If Alex Ferguson spends 12m on Scott Brown it's irrefutable evidence that he's gone senile.

I'd like everyone to stop speaking about this now, just in case Alex Ferguson stumbles onto Aberdeen Music.com and realises that Scott Brown is not all that.

sssssssshhhhhhhhhhh

Allardyce has this strange high level of arrogance and belief in his ability. He said something before like he would be considered a genius if his name was Allardici. He seems unable to accept that people judge him on his record and style of play and that they are not dismissing him unfairly because he is English.