aberdeen-music

The Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Adam Easy Wishes

OK, so there was De Jong's "challenge", and Van Bommel's booking was a pretty heavy tackle (albeit not much worse than Puyol going through the back of Robben). Other than that, what seriously bad tackles were there? I can't think of anything out of the ordinary.

i honestly don't recall seeing any of this diving that the dutch apologists are bringing up. iniesta went down softly but there was a definite tug and it was a foul.

the imaginary cards were disgusting, i hate that and it should be cracked down on.

the dutch though, were dirty feckers. van bommel should have walked for a number of late challenges and persistent cynical fouls. de jong obviously should have walked. robben could have been sent off, though that would have been particularly harsh(robben also was falling easier than many spanish players). their game plan was basically to stick the boot in and make sure the spanish didn't get a chance to play. i appreciate the tactic and restricting them playing was their best option but to do it in such a cynical manner was disappointing.

puyol could have been sent off as well.

good game, lots to talk about but not a classic.

i honestly don't recall seeing any of this diving that the dutch apologists are bringing up. iniesta went down softly but there was a definite tug and it was a foul.

I can think of one instance on the wing when Iniesta fell over without being touched. There was also a ridiculous period of play where 3 spanish players all fell over in the box in rapid succession. It was hilarious, like the old cliche of a sniper being in the stands picking them off.

But aside from the play-acting and whining like little bitches they were the better team on the night and deserved the win.

When Iniesta went down screaming from a Van Bommel barge, he was up very quickly, and gave Van Bommel a bit of shoulder himself. Van Bommel did it to try and win the ball. Iniesta did it because he's a pissy child. There was alot of falling down with very little contact with faux screaming and peeping at the referee. Immediate recoveries were made when they realised the referees were taking no action. There was plenty of hard tackles, some of them were mistimed, but I really can't remember too many that looked cynical.

Don't know why Iniesta wasn't sent off for barging Van Bommel down out of retalliation. Would have meant he'd have been sent off for taking his shirt off when he scored.

Thankyou!!

Spain are certainly not immune to the diving problem, no team are, but they are far from the worst around. And of all the players who you could accuse it shouldn't be Iniesta, I really think I must be watching different games to anyone who thinks he's anything of a play acter or diver. When he gets fouled he goes down, but he gets back up and gets on with the game.

And maybe I'm just blind but I really didn't see too much imaginary card waving or hounding the referee in the game.

I really hope teams such as Brazil and Holland who do have great players at their disposal realise that solid defensive play is not the best way for them to play and come to the next world cup with a more positive game.

Thankyou!!

Spain are certainly not immune to the diving problem, no team are, but they are far from the worst around. And of all the players who you could accuse it shouldn't be Iniesta, I really think I must be watching different games to anyone who thinks he's anything of a play acter or diver. When he gets fouled he goes down, but he gets back up and gets on with the game.

And maybe I'm just blind but I really didn't see too much imaginary card waving or hounding the referee in the game.

Really? I mean... REALLY? Come on. Iniesta and Xavi do that imaginary card thing at just about every foul. ITV even showed replays of it TWICE last night. There was also the time when Iniesta went down screaming because Van Bommel, god forbid, tackled him. Amidst the screaming, he looked up, Webb had none of it, so he sprang to his feet and shoulder barged Van Bommel to the ground. Not a player actor at all. Just a miraculous recovery. And Puyol and Xavi sprint from wherever they are stood to yell at the referee, even if the decision has gone their way, because they want the player carded. Come on. You simply can't miss that. You just can't. They surround the referee in numbers, more than any other team I've ever seen. It really is hideous.

Your views towards the Spanish, for some reason, are exasperatingly blinkered. You like them, fair enough. But even I can see when the team I want to win are being shitbags.

Isn't the card waving thing not meant to be a bookable offence? One of these rules that seems to go unnoticed or gets by under the refs discretion I suppose. I'd like to see it enforced more as it is poor form to beat a team by trying to get their players sent off. Everyone should be more like De Jong and if you want a player out of the game then try and put them in hospital. Job done.

I'm not saying I never see any card waving, what I meant to say is that I don't see it to the extent that you seem to. And not as aggressively as you suggest either. You seem to have started the world cup as equally anti-spain as I am pro-spain. I haven't ever wanted to claim they are perfect I've just been responding to posts which seemed to be very blinkered against the team I've been supporting.

Anyway if we all agreed on everything this forum would just be pointless and boring:up:

So what are people's best and worst bits of this world cup?

For me...

Best:

Spain - a few more convincing victories would have been nice but I got the winner I was hoping for at the start of the tournament.

Germany - In the past I tended to dislike German sides, but since '06 they've become one of the most entertaining and top quality sides around and they played great in this world cup. I'd be very happy to see them win something in the next few years.

Chile - After the tedious opening few days Chile brought things to life with a cracking performance (only missing more goals) against Honduras. I wish more sides had a positive attitude like theirs. They were a little unlucky against Spain and it could possibly have been them not Holland that caused the Brazil meltdown if they hadn't been missing a few key players.

Knockout Games - Much more goals in the knockout stages than in 02 or 06. All the quarter finals were very exciting in some way and most of the last 16 games were great too.

France - Comedy Gold

Ghana - So unlucky, second world cup in a row they were by far the best African nation. They played some great stuff with a very young squad. Hopefully they can go further in 2014.

Van Bronkhorst's goal - what a belter!

World Cup daily podcasts - the train rides to work have never been as enjoyable as the last month. James Richardson is simply wonderful, but perhaps Barry Glendenning is even greater!

Cameroon's kit - Awesome

Aberdeen Music - helped fill those horrible hours between matches. Not sure what to make of receiving more reputation points for my drunken ramble of a post than all of the others where I at least try to make some sense put together! :jester:

Worst;

Negative tactics - Too many sides set out with limited ambition and little desire to play good football. I don't mind North Korea or New Zealand trying to defend with everything they've got but I expect more from the countries which have genuine talent at their disposal.

The first 5 days - nothing really happened (except for Germany)

The Jubulani - I don't know if it caused any problems really, but hearing about it all the time was very annoying.

Bad decisions - lampard, video replays, goal line technology, sepp blatter's an idiot blah blah it's all been said.

Lack of a real classic match - there were some very exciting moments but no true classic games with the lead changing hands and lots of opportunities. You expect at least one in a tournament.

I'm neither a Dutch apologist nor a Spanish hater, I watched the final as a neutral and I found the Spaniard's behaviour spoilt it for me. Iniesta was definitely having it on on several occasions. The ref should have been more firm handed earlier on, De Jong should certainbly have been off, but he was rather one sided and booked Dutch players whilst ignoring similar offences perpetrated by the Spanish.

Anyway, it's all over. Now we can take sweepies on how long it will be until the AFC support are calling for McGhee to be sacked. If there aren't 20 goals in 2 games I'm betting that will be the catalyst.

I like how in all the videos and celebrations seen of the Spanish, Reina is like the most involved in it. You did nothing Reina, you are the most useless international player ever. Casillas isn't even 30 yet!

Example: BBC Sport - Football - Spain's mid-air World Cup party

Fair play to the Spanish though, they stuck to there strengths and played a consistant tournament.

I like how in all the videos and celebrations seen of the Spanish, Reina is like the most involved in it. You did nothing Reina, you are the most useless international player ever. Casillas isn't even 30 yet!

Example: BBC Sport - Football - Spain's mid-air World Cup party

Fair play to the Spanish though, they stuck to there strengths and played a consistant tournament.

I dunno why Reina has taken it upon himself to be the team compere. He did it after the Euros too. He must have the gift of the gab in Spanish, coz he seems pretty boring in english interviews. I'm already tired of the spanish being all justifiably happy.

I loved the Reina celebrations too. He is definitely the most prominent.You can tell he drank most of the victory champers too, and is always hogging the trophy, the greedy cunt.

But as I said earlier in the thread, that trophy they have on the plane with them isn't even the real one. No team gets to keep that outside of the ceremony inside the stadium. Looking at it now, it's pretty obvious. The real one is 1000 times shinier.

That's right, Pepe. You're kissing a fake.

Reina is hilarious.

The situation with Fabregas and the Barca shirt was a little odd though. Fabregas looked like he was pretending to have fun but really just wanted it all to stop.

Where does the real world cup stay the rest of the time? I hope there's a man whose sole job is to polish it and keep it shiny.