aberdeen-music

Your Musical History

Soda Jerk

2004-2006: Soul Academy : the soul band at my school. We were by far the coolest of the band geeks! We played weddings and other events, our material including Mustang Sally, Hard to Handle and Try a Little Tenderness. Was a lot of fun and all the singers were ridiculously fit.

Hotbed of Banchory talent. Feel lucky that I got to do it in the last year of school and was my reason for taking up the Sax.

Hotbed of Banchory talent. Feel lucky that I got to do it in the last year of school and was my reason for taking up the Sax.

You didn't get the awesome drum-view of the singers bums though. That was the best thing about it. Lizzie Brown, Karen Henderson, Alex Buskie... fucking ace.

Almost all the material was new and whilst perhaps 40% of our set was strong, the other 60% was pretty poor.

[/ESSAY]

See now this ratio would have been in reverse and bettered if 'Lough Shore', 'Almost Parallel' ' Henri...', and thon one about a dude in the sea had all been in the set together.

It was that one with the stupid 'jazz' ending that let the side down badly....

Guest idol_wild
See now this ratio would have been in reverse and bettered if 'Lough Shore', 'Almost Parallel' ' Henri...', and thon one about a dude in the sea had all been in the set together.

It was that one with the stupid 'jazz' ending that let the side down badly....

Actually, you're possibly right. Was that tune called "Cut Your Ties" or something? Jazz/funk breakdown...that really didn't suit Dedalus, regardless of how much we all listened to jazz and funk. That stompy wild-west sort of tune was fucking horrible aswell. Oh the memories.

(2004 - 2004) One Winged Angel/Sixteen Accused

Hardcore band formed at a time where we were all 'growing out' of hardcore and into 'mature' music. I was old enough to know better, my band mates were slightly younger. Our bassist is a cool guy, but liked to stamp on people's fuzz pedals randomly to add 'atmosphere'.

Played two gigs at Portlethen Academy.

"What's a staccato?"

I was the "vocalist" for this band. My lyrics were absolutely dreadful. I haven't been involved in anything since although Jan and myself (and...Charlie?) are trying to get a riot-grrl band on the go. Hopefully.

rockAustin you went to banchory academy then? what year did you leave?

As Shaki said, 99 was my exit year. That was the year that the soul band started, we actually did a recording in the Mill. Dunno if that is still kicking around at the school but I often marvel at how good it sounded for a bunch of school kids with not a great amount of experience playing soul.

Soul Funkin Hot has 4 past memebers of Soul Academy in it.

As Shaki said, 99 was my exit year. That was the year that the soul band started, we actually did a recording in the Mill. Dunno if that is still kicking around at the school but I often marvel at how good it sounded for a bunch of school kids with not a great amount of experience playing soul.

Soul Funkin Hot has 4 past memebers of Soul Academy in it.

I didn't realise you're in Soul Funkin' Hot. I've seen you guys a few times as well and didn't spot you.... hmmmm.... I must have been pissed.

Actually, you're possibly right. Was that tune called "Cut Your Ties" or something? Jazz/funk breakdown...that really didn't suit Dedalus, regardless of how much we all listened to jazz and funk. That stompy wild-west sort of tune was fucking horrible aswell. Oh the memories.

That was it, the main song was actually OK in a ramshackle indie-pop kind of way, the end was just incredibly unecessary and stupid...I didn't mind the stompy wild-west one, what was it's name again, 'East' something wasn't it??

Guest idol_wild
That was it, the main song was actually OK in a ramshackle indie-pop kind of way, the end was just incredibly unecessary and stupid...I didn't mind the stompy wild-west one, what was it's name again, 'East' something wasn't it??

"East Transept", I do believe that one was called. Somewhat embarrassingly, I think I named that song. :down:

"Lough Shore" was a belter, though. I've been looking for it for months but just can't find it. Titpiss.

"East Transept", I do believe that one was called. Somewhat embarrassingly, I think I named that song. :down:

"Lough Shore" was a belter, though. I've been looking for it for months but just can't find it. Titpiss.

Yeah I used to have that CD of demos that you gave me when I first joined that had it on, but I seem to have lost it along the way....a sad thing, if for nothing else to revisit Steven and Rob's drumming where you can hear the pauses as they try and piece together their ideas for different sections that don't really work when trying to naturally get from one t'other....

I play the keyboard and generally have brass players in front of me (even though my sit down chair dancing shits on their standing up efforts)

I guess folk pay more attention to the singers than the musicians. I recall seeing you in the Blue Lamp last year, I was drunk as a lord and dancing around like a total fanny-whacker down the front, with Louise's boyfriend. I can't remember where else I've seen you. Really good band though.

Guest idol_wild
Yeah I used to have that CD of demos that you gave me when I first joined that had it on, but I seem to have lost it along the way....a sad thing, if for nothing else to revisit Steven and Rob's drumming where you can hear the pauses as they try and piece together their ideas for different sections that don't really work when trying to naturally get from one t'other....

Some of those demos were hilarious to watch being recorded. Steven and Rob playing the kick drum with their hands, piecing sections of songs together. It was DIY to the max. Happy days.

Be honest now...you look at my arse when we play, don't you?!

It is a nica ass. I'm afraid Huw's is better though. I love that I can always see his white boxers. I don't think he owns any underpants that aren't white, or maybe he just constantly wears the same pair... That's what that smell is!

Headlight (2003 - present)

I quite fancy getting this story down, so I apologise for the length. Headlight is/was essentially about 4 different bands, but for some reason the name has always stayed.

Started out as an acoustic two-piece with my mate Ben when we were both about 15. We wrote some songs about girls and some songs about dying, as you do when you're 15. We released an EP that we recorded at the Foyer. It was awful.

Eventually we cobbled together a 'band', consisting of my then girlfriend's brother Ewan on bass and one of our mates, Fraser, on keyboard. These were the only people we knew that played instruments so it's amazing that we also got on pretty well. Ben moved on to the drums. We probably should have changed the name at this point, because we started to play ridiculously upbeat pop songs. The Foyer were brilliant for us, we got to play some cool gigs at the Lemon Tree and learnt a bit more about music in general. With hindsight, we were still not very good though.

My elder brother Jamie saw us at a gig and decided he wanted a piece of the pie. This was good, as he was actually a drummer. Ben moved on to the bass for a bit, before eventually leaving the band. We released a second EP, entitled 'Half Truth', which was a blend of pop and rock, with a few rock ballads thrown in for good measure. The recording quality is truly awful, but I'm quite proud of some of the songs on there. Particularly In the End, which I maintain is the best pop song of all time.

Eventually, we realised we should really have a bassist. We got one in the shape of Mitch Bain, who is a true hero in every sense of the word. I can't imagine Headlight without him now. This resulted in us becoming a lot better, but because I live in Glasgow we could never practice as much as we wanted and were thus a little rough around the edges. At this point we were playing piano-driven rock. Played some quality shows with the likes of Little Comets, De Rosa, and (bizarrely) Iglu & Hartly.

Our keyboard player was away with work at the last minute for our appearance at the Wizard Festival, so we had about a week to cobble together a set for that gig sans keyboard. This was pretty difficult for a keyboard-led band. We wrote two songs the night before, and played them to a rammed tent the next day. It was brilliant.

There was a wee bit of internal conflict a few months ago, which resulted in our keyboardist leaving a rehearsal. We haven't seen him since. Assuming he didn't want to be in the band anymore, we started to hone the set we played at Wizard. We played the best gig of our lives with A Genuine Freakshow and our issues with timing and accuracy all but disappeared with one less instrument to worry about.

Now we have taken a wee break from gigging, but are returning in March to play with A Genuine Freakshow again. The set will be about 60% brand new, 40% reworked I think. We are terrible excited about it. The sound is a lot louder and more abrasive, but the focus on simpleness and melody is still there. As I say, we should probably change the name of the band, but we quite like it so it'll no doubt stay. Should have a mastered copy of our newest song soon, which we'll stick on myspace. It'd be nice to hear your comments :). There is still no way we can play as often as we'd like to because of the logistical issue, but we're all really enjoying it. I'd love to record an album before we go our separate ways.

Phew.

Guest idol_wild
that dedalus wild west song was funny.

i remember when we did the Neptune, Pro Forma, Dedalus & HG no.1 gig that it was the 1st gig back for them and i distinctly remember that wild-west song sticking out. It was kinda catchy though!

Catchy, but really shit! :up:

It is catchy, because it's been bouncing about in my head for the past few hours. Which is perhaps why I feel nauseous today.

I started off in 97 with my school band Nikita. We were a noisy trio who eventually became a four piece, and had a few songs released on various different compilations. We used to be drunk a lot and fight a lot. Heady days. Rob from Nikita went on to play drums in my first Edinburgh based band and then moved down to Manchester where he played synths in Juno Ashes featuring ex-members of Puressence. Neal went on to form Grace Emilys and toured the UK twice, putting out two single via Universal.

nikita on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

I moved through to Edinburgh for uni in 1998 and formed Deadenstereo who a few people here might remember. We had four different drummers and were very briefly a five piece, but on the whole we were a four. We spent more time than was healthy driving to and from Aberdeen, and played a fair few good gigs over the years, putting out a series of singles and even getting mentioned next to Cliff Richard in the Daily Record. Heady times indeed.

deadenstereo on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

I also played bass in Those Flying Machines around this time, meeting my now good mate Gary. We only played a handfull of shows, but planted the seeds for what was to come. I also started a Wildhearts acoustic tribute band - hello The Mildhearts.

Those Flying*Machines on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

The Mildhearts on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

When Deadenstereo split in the early noughties, I went on the form To The Rescue. We were hugely Weezer influenced, and played our own take on surf pop and punk. We only made one studio visit and split soon after due to a combination of personality clashes and the fact that I had joined another band.

...To The Rescue on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

I spent a year between 2006 and 2007 in Baillie & The Fault. This was my first taste of actual achievement in a band. We played the first Connect, Live at Loch Lomond, a sold out T on the Fringe show and opened for Idlewild on their Greatest Hits tour. This was a dream come true for me and was only topped when I found out we were playing the Barrowlands gig too. I never thought I'd get to play there and it remains a highlight. There's footage on Youtube so I don't start thinking I dreamt it all. Sadly, things went awry with the band, and so I left in 2008.

baillie & the fault on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

During my time in the Fault, I had been writing and recording with my mate Gary and had put together about 30 demos. When I left the Fault, we began to work seriously on what would become Curators. After going through three drummers and a bassist, we have played some pretty good support slots and found our feet, with a little help from the lovely people I met while playing in the Fault. We recorded demos at my own wee studio and gave away free mp3s of them and of a live set we did in Edinburgh supporting Wintersleep. Since Decemeber, we have been recording our debut album and, all things going according to plan, we finish this Friday. You'll just have to take my word for the time being that it sounds foucking amazing and I can't stop smiling when I think about it. We'll see what 2010 brings, but do watch this space!

Curators on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads