aberdeen-music

Your Musical History

Soda Jerk

I've done/do vocals in the following:

Residue (2002-2003) - Punk Rock/Hardcore - With Al Robertson (Guitar), James Robertson(Bass) and John Fraser (Drums) - Handful of Aberdeen shows. 2 Demos, Couple of tracks on various compilations - Residue Website

Voice of Aggression (2002) - Blackend Crust Metalcore - With Dave Robertson(Teabags - Uncalm - Guitar), Pete ??? (Ex E106 - Guitar: Left after our first two shows), John Fraser and Alan Brew(AL-B - Ex Karloff - Bass) - 30ish gigs in Belgium, Ireland, Luxemburg, The Netherlands and Scotland. One demo and one split demo (With Eatyergreens).

Filthpact (2003 - 2007) - Total Crust Violence - V.O.A's drummer (John) left, Remaining lineup (Al B, Teabags and I) got new drummer (Punkrock legend Andrew Fairgrieve a.k.a Jeeves - Gusto Mastivo, Ex Fastard, Bastard Son of Fud + More) and 2nd guitarist(Ben Coombes - Ex Mike Hunt(AUS) + More), became Filthpact. Barry Henson(Bonesaw Bazz - Bonesaw, Ex Hearse Crash, Fester) filled in a couple of times on bass and later became a fulltime member on guitar when Ben returned home to Australia. 150ish gigs all over Europe. 2 Demos, 3 Split 7"s (With Afterbirth, Atomgevitter and Step On It), One split album (With Atomgevitter) on CD and 12" Vinyl, Various compilation appearances, Discography CD (Total Crust Violence) of Ben years and downloadable last album (Plague Carriers of the Crust Apocalyse). Downloadable complete discography and possible DVD will see light of day when i get a chance - Filthpact MySpace .

Ablach (2007 - Present) - Grind Crust Death - Formed after the demise of Filthpact and featuring Bazz, Al B and I along with Aaron Rodgers(Ex Dis-Ease/Weeping Jesus - Guitar), Calum Carruthers(Bonesaw, Ex Evacuating Heaven & Spike Pile Driver - Drums) and Andy Geraghty(Bonesaw, Ex Hearse Crash, Fester - Vocals) - 40+ Gigs across the UK, One demo (Later pressed as a 7"), Album(Aon-One) and 5 Way Split CD (European Fastness: A Grindcore Compilation with Xaros, A Den of Robbers, Ocksen and The Afternoon Gentlemen) and appearances on a couple of compilations so far. Planned European tour in October, Scottish Tour with F.U.B.A.R(NL) in November and track on the upcoming VA: A Tribute to Nasum LP - Ablach Myspace

MANTHEFUCKUP!? (2009 - Present) - Hardcore - Debuting Winter 09.

MANTHEFUCKUP!? Myspace

Was at quite a few early Deadloss Superstar gigs at the likes of the old Drakes at the Castlegate, Exodus and Malt Mill as I'm pals with Nick. Springfield was/is a great tune and the promo pic of you all in a, um, swimming pool (complete with goggles) made a real change to the usual "up against a wall holding a guitar that's not plugged in" pish.

After much fuking about with Richard, for whatever reason, he left

He's a cock?

Anyways...

Familiar: 1997-2000 (roughly)

My school band that lasted into uni and kinda beyond. members included school chums Robb (now Bloodnut) and G (now making films, 'Ocassional Monsters' etc; and DJing Oscillations); and various drummers. This band eventually became Psycho A Go-Go but as Familiar we played a hodge-podge of covers and a few originals - but no real musical direction or coherance. Probably best known for covering YMCA in a punk rock style. Did lots of gigs with Killswitch and Clocker, Scuff etc. And gave the mighty Tar their first gig as part of the Aberdeen Alternative Youth Festival.

Psycho A Go-Go: 2000-2004/5

The most successful band I was in. Featured Robb and G from Familiar and a variety of drummers, most notably Steve Dale (Dos Dedos, Cobra Kai), 'Fast' Johnny C and Dom Aviss (he lived with Brian and Craig in the Fudge flat for a while). We were a kinda punky-garagey rock n'roll type outfit influenced by The Wildhearts, The Ramones, The Monks, The Hives etc. Recorded our first EP and did a self-financed tour, were subsequently picked up by Newcastle-based r n'r label ChangesOne and recorded our second EP with them. Following this we toured, toured and toured; with bands like Catalyst (now Eureka Machines/Antiproduct), Deadloss Motherfucking Superstar, Rat Daddy, The Flaming Eights, The Yo-Yos, Plan A, Johnny Zhivago and of course our crowning achievement: The Wildhearts.

We got a mixed reaction in Aberdeen at the time (not least because I was a mouthy little gobshite), but always did pretty well out of town, played London a buncha times and generally kicked ass wherever we went. It was good times.

We split up while demo-ing an album that Ginger Wildheart was slated to produce, mainly due to exhaustive touring, no money, and excessive drink/drug intake (mostly mine, unfortunately). Never did finish the album, but it was shaping up to be something we could've been proud, but que sera sera...

The Wyldehertz 2001-2002

Psycho A Go-Go doing Wildhearts covers, played a few Lava and Fudge gigs. Bit of a laugh

The Tijuana Switchblades 2001-present (kinda)

Started as a side-project to Psycho A Go-Go, with essentially the same line-up, but ended having Fish (Hot Mangu) on guitar and Nelly on bass, I think Dom drummed. We're an AC/DC-ish country rock type affair. Had many line-up fluctuations, currently have myself vocals/bass, my brother (Radio Lucifer, Bloodnut) on guitar, Graham (original Switchblade) on guitar and Chin (Sirius) drums.

V-8 Deth Machine Mk1 - 2003 (I think)

One-off band that played a gig for my then-girlfriend's sisters's birthday party at Dr Drakes. Me playing bass and singing, Graham Switchblade on guitar and G (PaGG) on drums (he had the sticks cello-taped to gloves). We played covers through a wall of distortion. G took the idea and it eventually became King Liar and the Brutes

Deadloss Superstar

Filled in on bass a few times - awesome, a priviledge.

Radio Lucifer 2004-2007

Line-up: Vocals: Me; James (Tar, DLS, We Become Less, currently Shields Up): guitar, Craig (DLS): Guitar (he was replaced by my brother); Oggy (Killswitch, Bloodnut): Drums, Robb (PaGG, Bloodnut): Bass. Cpt Tom was originally on guitar too.

Did a coupla less than successful tours, recorded a couple of EPs that I consider to be amongst my finest moments in terms of musicality. Essentially we were a really heavy rock n'roll band with shades of hardcore, pretty aggressive and visceral. I though we were exceptional live, really scared people sometimes, always blood, sweat and spit flying. Split up when interest dwindled and James moved to Edinburgh, then I moved to Toronto to join the Red Light Rippers

Red Light Rippers/Chop Suicide - 2007

I moved to Toronto to join the Red Light Rippers on vocals, they promptly split the day I arrived, so we formed a new band with Staci Ratt guitar, me on bass, and Danyell (Panty Christ) on vocals, various drummers. The band never really got off the ground before I had to come home due to visa/finance issues, really enjoyed writing with those guys though, shame they didn't go further.

Nowadays I don't seem to have the motivation for the band-thing anymore, was thinking about a band with Brian DLC, Keith Lorelei, Rass Atom and my brother, but I never really did anything about it. Sometimes still jam bluesy stuff with my bro though.

Spent most of my school days playing in various orchestras and concert bands. The seemingly obligatory cover band I played in at school I don't think even had a name despite appearing at a gig night in the primary school hall. We were truly atrocious, I had managed to hit the demonstration button on my keyboard without realising and our singer tried to do a stage dive but caught his foot in some cable and pulled everything off the stage with him. Kind of gave up on playing keys in bands at that point.

I bought a saxophone in my sixth year and joined the school soul band, Soul Academy, this definitely had a big impact on the type of music and groups I've played with over time.

Souled Asylum (1999 - 2006?) - Joined this group in my first year of uni, turned up to my first practice with no other brass players there, I knew the songs but hadn't really analysed the brass parts so spent two hours soloing over the top of some well played classic soul tracks. Brilliant fun and some great times and many many gigs (good and bad but mainly good). The end was a bit messy but I certainly learned a lot from my time in this group.

- Lemon Tree show on youtube.

Ghost of Bongo MARK 1 (2000 - 2003) - We started life as a Uni cover band, my mate Neil saw a bunch of my mates not doing nothing with their music and booked a gig in the Dungeon (R.I.P.), it was two guitars, one of whom sang lead vocal and a keyboard player. They did a few soul style songs and invited me to play sax. We used the keyboard drum beats to play too ... After this we added bass and drums Mike and Gordon, who later went on to play in Orwell I think. This group was mainly covers dabbling in some of our own material eventually. Band broke up naturally to musical differences of opinion.

Ghost of Bongo (2003 - 2006/7/8 *springs back to life from time to time*) - Keyboard Mike moved away so I moved into that position and after some searching some buying of beers and drunken convincing we bagged one hell of a bass player (Rob) and a new drummer (Sean). First gig was in the Lemon Tree and immediately put a lot of folks off us, we weren't exactly bad but our song writing was a bit twee perhaps. We manned up, spent a lot of time down at shoreporters lockup and went on to write, in my opinion, some quality music. Ghost of Bongo on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads. Highlight of this group was playing one of the warm up slots before the Live 8 show in the AECC.

A mixture of apathy, drummer issues, not really knowing how to run a band, and life commitments saw motivation dwindle away. I loved playing in this band and when the planets line up just right we will always get back together for a gig.

This is where my mind gets a bit hazy as I suddenly became a band whore, playing with anybody that wanted it or needed it I wouldn't say I had much of an impact with this scatter bomb strategy though. It's easy to spread yourself too thin, I apologise now to those that this affected, I was also partying a lot at the time too and may have missed out some folks but as I said, probably didn't have that great an impact haha.

AKA Ska - Great fun band, played keys for a while with them, I wasn't properly into Ska at the time so learned a lot and jumped around like a mad man. Really couldn't commit enough time to this and had to make a hard choice.

Snake Temple Kings - played sax with these guys, you'll be able to hear me on some of their tracks. I really enjoyed playing with these guys but always had a gig/practice on nights they were playing, great songs and musicians. The Snake Temple Kings on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Zony Mash - Had some fun gigs with these guys. Didn't really do them justice though as again didn't commit enough time. Great musicians all of them.

Soul Funkin Hot (2006 - present) - this is great fun. A band of people I get on with, there is a small turnover of people but that happens in large groups. We get together once a week and learn soul songs. Great people, no stresses.

Super Six Funk Machine (2008 - present) - current band. Heaps of fun. Got some interesting views and ideas about how to run a band now and putting these ideas into action seems to be working for us at the moment. Also getting a handle on promoting stuff. Basically getting an all round experience of everything a modern band should be able to do themselves. Just need everyone to start loving funk and soul now and we're laughing! Super Six Funk Machine on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Uneton (2009) - Had a bit of a fling with this. It was only supposed to be a jam on Sat night with my mates and then go out and get hammered but we ended up doing some stuff with some media studies students. Uneton on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

FatHand (2007 - present) - This is my electronic projects. They usually take between 3 and 4 hours to make due to my lack of patience. I'm just about to put up a new track, a jam with myself. Fat Hand on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

That's it I think. I probably couldn't be arsed reading through all that shit either ;)

No way, the first time I saw you was in the Pelican (coldest gig ever?) possibly with Halcion Daze. I thought you guys were great and I seem to remember drunkenly saying so afterwards...

You did the scratching thing then. Probably best not to go into that too much.

it was me. possibly at that same gig. i was pissed and brian couldn't sing. plus the scratching was shit.

halcion daze were good that night though and i have since grown to love deadloss more than many other bands. i took my wife to see deadloss as our first date.

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

No way, the first time I saw you was in the Pelican (coldest gig ever?) possibly with Halcion Daze. I thought you guys were great and I seem to remember drunkenly saying so afterwards...

You did the scratching thing then. Probably best not to go into that too much.

it was me. possibly at that same gig. i was pissed and brian couldn't sing. plus the scratching was shit.

halcion daze were good that night though and i have since grown to love deadloss more than many other bands. i took my wife to see deadloss as our first date.

Christ, and you got a second date! :laughing:

(Sorry Bri)

In other news, Irritable Downs Syndrome is my favourite band name of all time ever. I have no idea what you sound like, but internet high-fives to whoever thought of the name :up:

I'll take that high-five, although I nicked it as it's a song title by Methadone Abortion Clinic.

First "band" was Spike Pile Driver, myself, NotBald and a drum machine to start with, it gradually fleshed out and we got in a human drummer for gigs, Chris from Element. He fucked off, we got Scorge in on the strength of him seeing us at a Spike/Maiden Taiwan/ Shite Shetland Emo Band gig at the old Drake's. Take it from one who was there, people look back at that place through rose-tinted glasses. It was an ok place, but it wasn't all that. Anyway, lumbered on for a few years releasing various splits and gigging around the 'Deen. Roped in Kirk on bass for a short while until he left, then NotBald fucked off as well. Dave and Craig from Sidca joined, did a coupla gigs and a split release with by far our best material until Dave decided he'd had enough and quit without bothering to tell us. Aye, thanks you cunt...

On "indefinite hiatus" as Scorge said, which probably means dead in the water.

During the SPD japes, formed Bastard squad, old-school noise-core (not the shit that gets called noisecore nowadays which isn't noisecore) with just vox and drums, again a few gigs and splits. Also on "indefinite hiatus". Personal highlight was an entire table of people leaving a gig within 20 seconds of us starting, which means they lasted until the 7th song or so. They did well...

Irritable Down Syndrome was a crack at Corrupted-worship. No gigs, one 35-40 minute song recorded and pretty much left to gather dust.

Wifebeater was an attempt to be Scotland's answer to Rupture. Got the Discharge support slot 2 months after forming and rushed to get a rough 4-track CDr out in time for it. Anyone with half a brain "got it" and we caused barely a ripple until a month after splitting up. Things got a bit weird after that, the anarcho-jokes left it a bit late to try pinning the incitement shit on us but since they're 25 years outta date anyway what can you expect? Maybe you read about it on here...The "Northern Bastards" 3-way split CD with Elgin's Bin Laden's Daughter and Inverness's The Signal came out shortly after that and I even had to put a disclaimer on it stating the complete fucking obvious. Look what they made me do... Best recording I've ever been part of by miles, available from Bruce Bin Laden.

Which takes me neatly onto Bin Laden's Daughter, punk pure and simple, joined them on vox 2 months ago and still working our way up to being gig-ready. The BLD boys have told me the band is cursed and it's proving that way so far...

Finally, Hideous should be back up and running at the end of this month, noisy, raw, distorted punk with the emphasis on highlighting the many, many wrongs in the punk scene at the moment. Won't be stuck for lyrical inspiration for a long time to come...

:up:

the A*** Bandits

Ah yes, how could I forget!

THE A*BANDITS (1999?)

...who, just for a change, featured me, Marty Deadloss and Al fae Clocker. All my bands feature Marty Deadloss. We recorded one song, at the Foyer. It was a cross between The Shadows and Beastie Boys. Biz played drums, we rapped, Al scratched and played some keyboard. We all hit stuff. We did one gig, at the Malt Mill, where we rapped along to instrumental Beasties b-sides, wearing gas masks, balaclavas and boiler suits...

We had glow sticks. I may try to upload a snippet of video sometime...

1 Late 70s..the Paul Hansford band (only 1 live gig, but recorded an album, "Strange Stone" now priced at 500 in Record Collector.)

2 Early 80s..Unusual Kitchen Features....recording only project

3 Early 80s..Simon Pure. Never got past bedroom recording stage, apart from rehearsal room run-throughs

4 Early 80s til now..Kitchen Cynics (only started gigging in 2003)

5 Mid 90s..Pink Windmill (I only played bass at 1 gig, supporting Coast & 18 Wheeler)

6 2004-2008..Mickel Mass (loads of live gigs, some recordings)

7 2007..Crake (did some recordings, but I only did 1 live gig, before being replaced by the much more

capable Bigsby)

8 2007-now..Misspelled Cult of Balvack (some recordings, 1 live gig so far)

9 2007- now..Matricarians (5 gigs so far...next one at Peacock's in Nov, as part of Sound)

10 2009 sumisumi one gig so far!:)

1 Late 70s..the Paul Hansford band (only 1 live gig, but recorded an album, "Strange Stone" now priced at 500 in Record Collector.)

2 Early 80s..Unusual Kitchen Features....recording only project

3 Early 80s..Simon Pure. Never got past bedroom recording stage

4 Early 80s til now..Kitchen Cynics (only started gigging in 2003)

5 Mid 90s..Pink Windmill (I only played bass at 1 gig, supporting Coast & 18 Wheeler)

6 2004-2008..Mickel Mass (loads of live gigs, some recordings)

7 2007..Crake (did some recordings, but I only did 1 live gig, before being replaced by the much more

capable Bigsby)

8 2007-now..Misspelled Cult of Balvack (some recordings, 1 live gig so far)

9 2007- now..Matricarians (5 gigs so far...next one at Peacock's in Nov, as part of Sound)

sumisumi aswell :)

Of course!!!!! :kiss:

I enjoyed that one a lot...wonder if there'll be another one???

I hope so, I will need to write down 'bug Andy to organise a sumisumi gig' on my to-do list :)

Since uni has wrapped up I fancy getting back into gigs but doing more singing this time rather than sax.

capable Bigsby)

Ha, that's a bit harsh, makes it sound like you were kicked out in favour of me, which was of course not the case. Succeeded or superseded might be a better term?

Oh, and you forgot to mention your production credits for the legendary Addicted Angel. *cough*

Awe jeez. Cant think of exact dates and may be well off the mark here and stuff but feel compelled to write things down...

1980/81

Cant remember the name but played in schools and community centre's covering ace punk tunes.

1985/7

Lonebell: First proper band playing alternative rocky stuff of that era. Small gigs but played in Clouds which years later became Drakes :)

88-90

(I think) Soul System: Popular wee outfit playing Soul classics and was established via St K's

92-95/6(I think)Greenblade: Dub/rock: Sold out the Pelican a few times and played a blinder at The Big Bang at Bonkers. Went through a few incarnations after I busted one of the guitarists mouth in Manchester after he threw a knife at my head. Fair enough I say. Great learning curve in that band though.

Reverberation: Remains of Living With Alice. Garagy glam punk. Not my cuppa really but played a few gigs and started working with Andy Bass.

Blind BirdPysche rock stuff and played a few gigs in the usual outlets.

96/99Atom Flask Blind Bird evloved into this band with the inclusion of Colin Biomechanoid. Rather good band and a tad too far a head of the times. Played T in The Park and were interviewed on prime time radio 1. The band desolved

Excerpts: No not those guys. Three piece garageish band. Wasn't there for long and played one gig I believe before they changed into something else.

2000-2005 Staccato Set Did arite and went from a 3 piece to a 5 piece back to a 3 piece. Ziggy moved to Edinburgh and became a musical wardrobe.

Tupelo Town Assembly Formed with with Mr Green Pony and Andy Bass. Now with Phil of Staccato Set fame ;)