aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Not exactly an inspiring first attempt from Levein but beating Czech is nothing to be scoffed at, even if it was a friendly. Some shite performances, some ok performances and a couple of really good ones.

On a side note, Craig Gordon is a fucking great keeper. I can't think of many keepers I enjoy watching more. He deserves all the praise in the world. Fast, smart and unbelivably gutsy, he just throws himself full throttle into everything. I don't think anybody can underestimate quite how important it is having a keeper of that calibre in the Scotland team.

I agree! It looked like Czech could have scored a few last night, but good last ditch defending and great goalkeeping (from both sides actually) kept Scotland in it.

England were poor. Egypt looked fresh, which I thought they would, coming off the back of their successful ACN campaign, where as England haven't played together for some time, and it showed. Gerrard is woeful. Lampard got in good attacking positions, but scuffed opportunities. Flattering score though. First goal showed good movement. Crouch's second was ridiculously offside, and I've no idea how the keeper pushed Sweep's shot into the net, but he did. Rooney and Defoe doesn't really work. Defoe can't bring Rooney into the game, and Rooney was playing the job that Heskey would, which renders him ineffective. I think Capello should try the 4-5-3/4-3-3 which has made Rooney such a talisman domestically, if we are to rely on him this summer. Or play him up top with Carlton Cole!

Guest Gladstone
I agree! It looked like Czech could have scored a few last night, but good last ditch defending and great goalkeeping (from both sides actually) kept Scotland in it.

England were poor. Egypt looked fresh, which I thought they would, coming off the back of their successful ACN campaign, where as England haven't played together for some time, and it showed. Gerrard is woeful. Lampard got in good attacking positions, but scuffed opportunities. Flattering score though. First goal showed good movement. Crouch's second was ridiculously offside, and I've no idea how the keeper pushed Sweep's shot into the net, but he did. Rooney and Defoe doesn't really work. Defoe can't bring Rooney into the game, and Rooney was playing the job that Heskey would, which renders him ineffective. I think Capello should try the 4-5-3/4-3-3 which has made Rooney such a talisman domestically, if we are to rely on him this summer. Or play him up top with Carlton Cole!

Cheating English bastards.

BBC Sport - Football - Scottish Premier League clubs favour expansion plans

16 team SPL? Better or worse? (could it be worse!!?)

I'm swayed by Jefferies' argument.

dunno wasnt the whole reason a premier league was formed was to reduce the amount of clubs? with the old firm continuing to dominate, there would still be a lot of meaningless mid table fixtures. Having said that, I think Jeffries puts his arguement across very well and change in the Scottish system is needed.

Not sure how it would work with 42 clubs to accomodate but the whole system needs freshening up for sure.

BBC Sport - Football - Scottish Premier League clubs favour expansion plans

16 team SPL? Better or worse? (could it be worse!!?)

I'm swayed by Jefferies' argument.

I'm in favour, pretty much for the reasons Jefferies gave. It would be nice to have more variety in the league and more teams to play. In theory, it would mean there are a few whipping boys in the league for the Old Firm to cuff but I don't think there is much of a gulf between the divisions. I mean, the Dons get beat by lower division sides all the time so they can't be that bad...perhaps.

I'm not sure the suits running the league will go for it. Apparently the clubs would suffer financially from playing the Old Firm less and not getting the extra gate receipts as I've heard that as a reason before for not extending the division. With the state of some finances just now that may be a barrier to progress with this.

I shook Denis Law's hand today.

That was ace.

He and - presumably - his son and his grandchildren came into the Banchory Golf Club once when I was working as a waiter. They sat down and had a meal but he just had a bacon roll and a coffee. He also insisted that the coffee was in a mug and not one of our generic tea cups so I gave him the chef's mug. She was delighted. When he paid up he said "Thanks a lot kid" and put 2.50 in my hand as a tip. I was super chuffed! After this I left school on the road to becoming a professional footballer. There was a montage.

Very nice bloke, Dennis Law.

Gah! I hate being 2-0 up against Dundee!!

:(

I have to say I took quite a degree of satisfaction in this result after Ayr going 2-0 up against Caley last week only to end up with a fucking 3-3 draw.

Still, solid 2-0 victory over Morton today and Tam 'best loan signing ever' McManus just rattled in his fourth goal in five games. Going to be gutted to see him go at the end of the season :down:

Caught the Newcastle highlights at half time on the French stream of the Wolves/United game I was illegally watching. They look like a joy to watch at the moment. I bet it's mint being a Toon fan right now. Winning emphatically is great at any level. Barnsley are a decent side too, but going down to 10 men obviously hindered their chances of getting anything out of the game, especially away from home.

My Barnsley hatred has absolutely nothing to do with my enjoyment of the drubbing. None whatsoever. Why would even think that? Just enjoyment of quality attacking football, that is all. Fuck off Barnsley you inbred set of fuckcunts.

first league win in 14 for Cambridge today away at Barrow this afternoon so delighted with that especially as according to someone at the game we played utter shite! I was at Norwich Utd watching our youngsters hump the lesser known of the Norwich teams 3-1 in freezing cold weather. And Peterboro lost again, the scum from London Road are almost doomed to relegation. Shame Histon didnt lose as well but you cant have it all. Speaking of the web-toed village idiots, we play them next saturday and their people carrier's worth of away supporters and I really hope we give them a right royal thrashing!

And well done to Montrose this afternoon!

Mon the Mo.

Pretty decent game for us against Stirling today, and a draw was a decent result after our toothless performance. Playing a 4-4-1-1 in Div 2 doesn't work at the best of times, less so when your whole team is sat 10 yards further back than they should be due to the lack of pace of.. er, yer best player. Whose knees are gone. Fuck.

we were great yesterday, and what a goal from tosher, nice pass, pass, pass movement in from the left from tomana and sinclair, the sly dog dropped his shoulder took a touch a powered a beckham-esque curler into the top corner in from 30 yards. OUTSTANDING.

Then on 60 mins, I hollered "About time you scored a goal Tweedy" as he made his way up to the box, he had a wee laught and made a prayer sign to God. God duly delivered. Tweed's header cleared off the line, he makes his way back to defence, ball comes out to him on semi circle on 18 yards and he side-foot volleys it into the top corner.

I fucking love it when we win. Makes the journey back from Stranraer all the worth it.

It was also nice to get some of the decisions today, nothing match-wrecking but the general lady luck was on our side!

Keane scored 2 nifty goals yesterday but didn't look like a good team player. In good positions he constantly tried to shift the ball into shooting positions, instead of shifting it to players in acres of space mere yards away. He was often being closed down by 3 players at a time, but still refused to pass. He showed his class with his finishes, but he needs to get a grip. With the amount of chances he scuffed because of not lifting his head up, you could argue that a 2 goal return isn't really all that great.

Samaras is terrible at football. What is his purpose in the side? He does absolute nothing. They'd be better as a unit if they played with 10 men so they don't have an option to pass to him, just for him to do his slow motion step overs and then lose the ball, which he has absolutely nailed down as an art.