aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Do they not drink their milk at arsenal? That's three leg-breaks in recent years. Feel bad for shawcross too. No malice, 50-50. I think the ref did the right thing in sending him off though. Yes the tackle itself wasn't an offence but the ref has taken into account the outcome and deemed it dangerous play. Some situations like this require a certain level of common sense rather than a rule book. Itl be interesting to hear what pulis says, I reckon he won't complain about the decision.

Hasn't Van Persie got a broken ankle too? And Nasri broke something and was out for ages. When Arsenal do injuries, they really don't phone it in.

Van Persie is ligaments I think. Nasri did break his leg too, was a weird one that coz he came back pretty quickly. Must have been a small fracture. Also that was in training.

I do think Arsenal are targetted in particular. Most teams can't beat them by playing football and have to make up for it by setting about them. The amount of fouls committed on Fabregas would be an interesting stat (Got a number Woodsinho?!). Physicality is a valid tactic against a footballing side but it has to be fair. I reckon most managers tell their teams to foul when playing arsenal which isn't fair, and a knock on consequence is these horrific injuries. It's got to the point where it's no coincidence and as much as I can't stand moaning Wenger most of the time, you've got to feel for him in this instance.

I liked Pulis's dig at Wenger telling him he 'doesn't know the boy' I too admire Pulis, proper old school manager, it was just an unfortunately just a terrible accident. Shawcross is not a dirty player but I think the ref made the right decision sending him off as it helped diffuse the situation. Wenger is naturally upset like he was after the eduardo challenge, he did retract his comments afterwards though he didnt say nearly as strong words about Shawcross as he did about Martin Taylor a couple of years ago. I think Arsenal are just unfortunate and I can understand Wenger being frustrated as any manager would be in the circumstance.

I'm disappointed with Wayne Bridge as he missed a trick yesterday, he should have done the full comedy act of going to shake hands, pulling away, thumb on nose and wave of the fingers infront of millions of the world! I'm pissing meself at the thought of that, would have been hilarious!

Looking forward to the league cup final this afternoon, its a cold, miserable rainy sunday here, perfect for staying in playing footy manager and watching a cup final.

Actually no, it was Irwin and McClair, but Big Pete got an eyeball full of it, threw the ball into touch and ran away, like a man. None of this crying shit.

He ran away so he could throw up off the pitch. Throwing up adds +3 manly points.

Stat time! Fabregas has been fouled 45 times in the league this season but he's not the king of the getting fouled castle. The man who wears that crown is Kevin Cyril Davies of Bolton Wanderers with 60 fouls suffered. Had Fernando Torres not been injured for half the season he would probably be a contender as he's been fouled 35 times in only 14 games.

There should be a seperate thread, just for stats, to seperate it from the "my team are shite at football wah wah" pottering. It would be a thread of pure majesty. Not an ill word said. No dismay or disappointment. Just numbers and figures.

Oh, and I just read the United Coventry game had to be delayed for 12 minutes to clean the blood of the pitch when Busst got injured. Gruesome!

Got to make a correction, went hunting for more fouled players and discovered, much to my amazement, that Stephen Hunt has been fouled 64 times but he's played 2 games more than Davies so he's still higher when it comes to fouls per game.

Apparently Arsenal are the 4th most fouled team in the league this season behind Spurs, Hull and Everton. Props to @opta_joe on Twitter for that one.

There should be a seperate thread, just for stats, to seperate it from the "my team are shite at football wah wah" pottering. It would be a thread of pure majesty. Not an ill word said. No dismay or disappointment. Just numbers and figures.

Oh, and I just read the United Coventry game had to be delayed for 12 minutes to clean the blood of the pitch when Busst got injured. Gruesome!

Hells yeah, stats and football trivia make the world a better place.

And if I never see that Busst injury again I'll be a happy man, that was just horrific. Luc Nilis had a nasty one as well just from running into the goalie (Richard Wright I think it was).

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I want John Terry to shag every other WAG in the England team' date=' just to upset their World Cup preps :up:

I predict a Celtic win today.....just off to find a pub showing it in a moment. I also predict a few sending-offs and Mowbray giving Ally McCoist a Glasgow kiss.[/quote']

We were discussing the John Terry thing last night and I came to the conclusion that Capello having already said no WAGS at the world cup HAD to take Terry with the squad. Anyone in the squad with a missus at home in England would never be able to concentrate knowing John Terry would be lurking.

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'm listening on the radio and it sounded as if Lafferty should have walked as they were 'wrestling'. And Bougherra could have gone about 3 times by the sound of it. The referees are a bunch of cunts. Typical Walter Smith team against Celtic winning with the last kick of the ball. Bastards.

Good cup final. Milner and Agbonlahor were effective. Downing is such a negative winger at times. He almost plays like a conservative full back, and Agbonlahor had to keep drifting wide to fill the gap he created, leaving only Heskey in the middle. Heskey! So obviously they weren't going to score from open play. Not until Collins and Dunne started playing as centre forwards in the last 5 minutes. Why doesn't Carew start? He's the strongest man on earth and at least a foot taller and wider than nearly all footballers. No one is going to beat him in the air. Not even a keeper. Fuck Heskey!

Valencia and Berbatov were excellent today. Park was very effective too. Valencia is always good, but the latter 2 are quite strange to give praise to. It was like some sort of opposite day.

Shame about Owen. He was looking sharp, and his goal was well taken.

Berbatov ... excellent today.

You feeling alright?

Agreed though, he put in an excellent shift. Valencia has a magic technique of getting the ball across into the box no matter what his body position. Great first half overall. Petered out a bit in the second, Manyoo started defending so deeply that as well as Agbonlahor and Heskey were, they just couldn't et in behind. Vidic should really have been sent off. Ref bottled it coz it was the first few minutes, a cup final and against manyoo.

Carrick was awful. He should be put to the knackers yard.

Aye, I was watching online and it was just a wrestle. Probably deserved yellow cards but to send off Brown and not Lafferty is just stupid.

Bougherra was another one who rode his luck, definitely.

It looked to me like Lafferty jerked his head back as if he'd been butted/punched again (not quite as blatantly as he did with Mulgrew though). He should get a lengthy ban for simulation.

Thought I'd managed to avoid seeing any foreign football, but, annoyingly, my mum had on the Man Utd-Aston Villa game with the sounddown, so I had to suffer some of that :down:

Phil Dowd completely bottled it today. To not even yellow card Vidic, let alone send him off was rather baffling. Especially when you consider that minutes later Collins got booked for a challenge not to dissimilar! Had Vidic been sent off, I don't think I would have been sitting here as a happy United fan. Fergie and Vidic seem pretty confident it wasn't a sending off somehow...

Apart from the poor refereeing, it was a pretty evenly contested game, and a good watch for neutrals.

You feeling alright?

Agreed though, he put in an excellent shift. Valencia has a magic technique of getting the ball across into the box no matter what his body position. Great first half overall. Petered out a bit in the second, Manyoo started defending so deeply that as well as Agbonlahor and Heskey were, they just couldn't et in behind. Vidic should really have been sent off. Ref bottled it coz it was the first few minutes, a cup final and against manyoo.

Carrick was awful. He should be put to the knackers yard.

He just looked bothered for a change. Closing down defenders in an area where he doesn't really need to. Just generally putting in legwork. Usually he'd potter about or walk back to his position of possession was lost. I think the 4-5-1 formation has bothered him, and he's realised he's not going to just walk into the line up. His link up with Park and Valencia, like it was against West Ham, was supreme.

Carrick really was awful. I think he's playing far too deep. He's plotting right infront of his own back four. I find he's at his best at the edge of the final third, spraying it out wide, through the middle, or supporting the striker holding up the ball. Don't know why he's sitting so far back.