aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Guest Gladstone

BBC Sport - Football - Rangers win will wrap up title, says Brian Laudrup

Former Rangers midfielder Brian Laudrup believes Walter Smith's present side will wrap up the Scottish title should they beat Celtic on Sunday.

What? If Rangers beat Celtic' date=' to go 10 points clear at the top of the table, with a game in hand, and only 11 games to play, you [u']believe Rangers will win the title?

Bold statement.

Everton were very disappointing against sporting last night and thoroughly deserved to get raped 3-0. Commentators piss me off suggesting they were 'tired' theyre professional fucking footballers for crying out loud, no excuses, they were beaten by the better side.

Guest Gladstone
Everton were very disappointing against sporting last night and thoroughly deserved to get raped 3-0. Commentators piss me off suggesting they were 'tired' theyre professional fucking footballers for crying out loud, no excuses, they were beaten by the better side.

English commentators tend to piss me off all the time with their ridiculous bias. When watching Champions League games etc they just completely fail to see a foul when it's been committed by one of the English team's players, and make comments like "well there might have been some contact there". Likewise if one of the English team's players takes a dive, it's something like "that was maybe a bit soft" or "not sure if there was contact" rather than just being committal and saying "that was a dive".

If it's the other way round it's nothing short of outrageous.

(This doesn't apply to every single English commentator in the world, but there are quite a few).

I find myself getting really really annoyed and start supporting the foreign team, even though I almost always set out wanting the English team to win.

English commentary is awful. I Like Martin Tyler. He doesn't get too involved in opinions. He just says who kicked the ball to who, and gets excited when someone scores with a header. He fucking loves stats too. Which is fine, because stats are great. Andy Gray is a total chump though. He's a typical ex-footballer who refuses to accept that the physicality of the game has changed, to an extent where he advocates deliberate fouling as "taking one for the team" and "the ball is going past, but you're not, son", as if this is a standard practice of the game and is fully acceptable. He's a prize prick.

Anyone who gets giddy about stats should read Martin Tyler's stats column on the Skysports website. He looks into some pretty outlandish stuff you'd never think of, and it's brilliant. Earlier this week, he reconstructed the league table by taking away all the goals from every teams top scorer, mostly to see if Manyoo really are one-man team. It resulted in them still remaining second, with Arsenal at the top, and Chelsea dropping to third, as Drogba's goals alone have gained them 15 points. Martin Tyler is the king.

Guest Gladstone
English commentary is awful. I Like Martin Tyler. He doesn't get too involved in opinions. He just says who kicked the ball to who, and gets excited when someone scores with a header. He fucking loves stats too. Which is fine, because stats are great. Andy Gray is a total chump though. He's a typical ex-footballer who refuses to accept that the physicality of the game has changed, to an extent where he advocates deliberate fouling as "taking one for the team" and "the ball is going past, but you're not, son", as if this is a standard practice of the game and is fully acceptable. He's a prize prick.

Anyone who gets giddy about stats should read Martin Tyler's stats column on the Skysports website. He looks into some pretty outlandish stuff you'd never think of, and it's brilliant. Earlier this week, he reconstructed the league table by taking away all the goals from every teams top scorer, mostly to see if Manyoo really are one-man team. It resulted in them still remaining second, with Arsenal at the top, and Chelsea dropping to third, as Drogba's goals alone have gained them 15 points. Martin Tyler is the king.

Imagine getting paid to fuck about like that all day? Amazing.

Some ten year old boys want to be professional footballers, some want to be astronauts and others want to be rock stars; I wanted to be a sports statistician. Fact.

This weeks' The Football Ramble podcast contains a good 5 minute ripping into Andy Gray session. Well worth a listen.

A lad I went to school with used to work for Setanta (probably on the dole now!), counting fouls, cards, corners, shots, timing each teams possesion and working into a percentage in all 3rds of the pitch, calculating how far each individual player has covered in KM... All the usual stats. He has said on numerous occasions it is the best job ever, but he's also said he can no long watch football as an entertainment spectacle. He also won't tell me how he got the job, since there is apparently a massive amount of competition. He said that one saturday, his colleague had to take the day off for a wedding, and he was replaced for good. They don't fuck about!

Can't wait to listen to Andy Gray being stuck into. The guy's a loon!

I'm trying to decide whether the 67 + transportation it would cost me to play a game at St. James' Park in May is worth it.

Live The Dream - Play @ SJP! | Latest News | Latest News | News | nufc.co.uk | Newcastle United

A couple of lads I know have booked a slot. Would be an awesome day out, like.

For some reason I read that as playing against St. Johnstone...o_O

But yeah that looks well good, if only Aberdeen would do something like that, I would love to play a game at Pittodrie.

That's Portsmouth fucked then.

Poor Pompey go into administration

A major sell-off of players and the prospect of a long period of rebuilding in the Championship now looms.

Some finance experts believe the administrator may have to terminate player contracts now to save cash.

Simon Wilson, partner of restructuring experts, Zolfo Cooper, said: "It seems certain that Portsmouth will be relegated and will need a complete restructure.

"Depending on the level of committed funding available, the administrator may need to terminate players' contracts to reduce outgoings because the possibility of selling players outside of the transfer window has already been denied by the Premier League."

That's Portsmouth fucked then.

Poor Pompey go into administration

I remember when all of Pompey's financial problems were first publicised thinking it will be unbelievable (Jeff) if a Premiership side go into administration with all the money being pumped into the league. On reflection, it isn't really a surprise considering how the clubs are run. They are able to operate completely differently to other businesses and get away with running up debts and living outwith their means. It was reported on the news tonight that EPL teams have a combined debt of 3.4 billion, that is a scandalous amount.

Going to be a TV show on next Tuesday about the finances of football teams, could be very interesting to watch.

I would be SO up for that.

Just signed up. Tuesday 4th May, 6:30pm. Can't wait. I'm actually buzzing around the house like a ten year old at the moment! It's ridiculous.

A few lads at Newcastle-Online Forum - Index are organising a game if you're interested. Details are in the "Football" forum. Better get in there quick though, spots are filling up fast.

Feel sorry for Portsmouth. Their fans and players, Avram Grant and Paul Hart too. The latter are both swell chaps who committed themselves to the cause, even when it constantly looked like an uphill battle.

Administration is a terrible thing to happen, but a points deduction seems like the harshest of punishments. Obviously the club was being poorly run with an absolutely barking-mad wage structure, but who does the points deduction punish? The players, the management, and the fans, who are in no way any part of the running of the club. The manager to a certain extent, but neither Grant or Hart had anything to do with the clubs demise. Bah. Administration blows. Poor Pompey. Certainly a very likeable team, I always thought. Unless you're Le Tissier - The only publicly known Southampton fan on Earth.

It must blow to be a Pompey fan with all these clowns coming in and buying the club. It's just been treated like a toy with no respect whatsoever for the supporters or the history of the club. "Hey! I own a Premiership team...does this get me a queue jumper at the Met Bar?"

The fans have been with the club through thick and thin and they might not have any team to support because of mismanagement. I read on Teletext this morning Peter Storrie had a wage of over 1 million and even got a tasty payrise through the summer.

Feel sorry for Portsmouth. Their fans and players, Avram Grant and Paul Hart too. The latter are both swell chaps who committed themselves to the cause, even when it constantly looked like an uphill battle.

Administration is a terrible thing to happen, but a points deduction seems like the harshest of punishments. Obviously the club was being poorly run with an absolutely barking-mad wage structure, but who does the points deduction punish? The players, the management, and the fans, who are in no way any part of the running of the club. The manager to a certain extent, but neither Grant or Hart had anything to do with the clubs demise. Bah. Administration blows. Poor Pompey. Certainly a very likeable team, I always thought. Unless you're Le Tissier - The only publicly known Southampton fan on Earth.

Also, Avram Grant will need to find a new brothel. :down:

the way portsmouth spent money was ridiculous, paying stupid money for average players. then sacking managers willy nilly, but the fans I feel sorry for. My own team went into admin in 2005 and were very close to going bust, if it wasnt for then sports minister richard cabon we might well have gone to the wall. now we have to fork out 200 grand a year in rent cos our dickhead of an ex chairman sold the ground for a pittence. funnily enough today we got new landlords, hopefully better than the last ones whose business is going up the swanny thanks to the recession.

chester were expelled from the conference today and are on the way out. they've known their fate for ages and its just been a matter of time, yet 43 hardy souls still made the trip to cambridge for a midweek game in freezing conditions. Its the fans who are always getting fucked over and something has to be done.

now the tax man, panicing in a credit crunch, is putting pressure on clubs to pay up. bournemouth, a club with their fair share of financial problems these past few seasons, are the latest to be issued with a final payment demand from the old tax man.

so many clubs in england and scotland are fucked but the fans, the ones who really care about these clubs will keep them alive whether in the present state or as a new club. aldershot, wimbledon and newport county all did it.

maybe just maybe portsmout going into admin may finally make the powers that be realize something needs to be done to protect football clubs. maybe they should look at well-run clubs and take a leaf from them set up some kind of task force, stop foreign ownership - man city will be fucked when the arab playboys get bored - maybe a salary cap needs to be introduced, im sorry but john utaka is not worth 80 fucking grand a week, no footballer is. ban agents and take the game back to grass level. tell sky to fuck off, cut down on the ridiculous amount of live games, encourage people to go back to the stadiums and watch football in the flesh, putting money into the clubs and not that cunt murdochs pocket. football survived perfectly well for 100 years before sky decided we need to have about 100 live games a week and the rest of the networks followed suit. when i was a lad you really appreciated a live game as there were so few on the telly.

something needs to be done, football needs to be run better.