aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Guest Gladstone

I'm with Lucky. Fuck seeding - throw the names in a hat, and you have to beat who you're drawn against.

It just takes some of the romance out of the tournament if you do your utmost to stop smaller teams getting through, and doesn't that work against the TV companies in some way? I.e. doesn't it keep everything more interesting if someone like a Cameroon from 1990 World Cup progresses to quarter finals and very nearly the semi finals? I remember everyone being captivated by Cameroon and Roger Milla in particular!

It should just be wide open. And it makes it more interesting in the group stages if you get 3 big guns in a group. GROUP. OF. DEATH. etc etc.

EDIT: To my post above - I didn't realise it was 104th minute the goal was scored. So obviously already in extra time (didn't see the match - have just seen the Henry goal)

World Cup draw:

Pot 1

South Africa, Spain, Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina, England, France

Pot 2

Netherlands, Portugal , Slovenia, Switzerland, Greece , Serbia, Denmark.

Pot 3

Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay

Pot 4

Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Mexico, Honduras

World Cup draw:

Pot 1

South Africa, Spain, Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina, England, France

Pot 2

Netherlands, Portugal , Slovenia, Switzerland, Greece , Serbia, Denmark.

Pot 3

Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay

Pot 4

Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Mexico, Honduras

How are the seedings for the groups decided? Aren't Holland third or fourth ranked team in the world? Seems a bit odd that they are in pot 2 if that is the case.

As for the seedings for the play-offs, what a total farce. A case of Sepp Blatter ensuring all the big guns get to the finals to improve the spectacle of the occasion. If they have struggled to qualify automatically then they should have to go to a luck of the draw rather than remove half the teams that have the best chance of knocking them out.

How are the seedings for the groups decided? Aren't Holland third or fourth ranked team in the world? Seems a bit odd that they are in pot 2 if that is the case.

Just to add insult to injury, the team that shouldn't be in pot 1 according to the FIFA rankings is....France.

Although if you look at it the other pots are

pot 2: europe

pot3: africa and SA

pot 4: asia, oceania and concacaf

It looks like only pot 1 is done on any sort of seeding system and the rest are to keep the non-euro teams apart in the group stages. Everyone apart from South Africa in pot 1 has won the WC and I think Uruguay are the only past winners who didn't make it into that pot.

Just to add insult to injury, the team that shouldn't be in pot 1 according to the FIFA rankings is....France.

Although if you look at it the other pots are

pot 2: europe

pot3: africa and SA

pot 4: asia, oceania and concacaf

It looks like only pot 1 is done on any sort of seeding system and the rest are to keep the non-euro teams apart in the group stages. Everyone apart from South Africa in pot 1 has won the WC and I think Uruguay are the only past winners who didn't make it into that pot.

Aye, seems a bit weird that France are in pot 1 despite scraping through a play-off and Holland are in 2 after going through their group with a 100% record?

Did you see it at the end when Henry sat down next to Dunne, and started having a natter like they were bestest pals. Why the balls didn't Dunne stand up and punt him right in the egg? What a chump.

I understand Henry was so desperate to keep the ball in play that he instinctively did it by any means neccesary, as it happens alot. But what I don't understand is how no official saw it, or how Henry could even have the gall to carry on playing after 2 or 3 handballs, or how Given even let the ball get so close to the byline without coming to meet it. Looking at the replays, Henry shouldn't have even had the chance to handball it. Bad goalkeeping decision.

Still. I hope France get stuffed by Honduras or New Zealand and go out in the first round.

Platini wouldn't stand for a replay, unless it was Ireland who handballed it, then there would be a replay. A replay where only France play, and Ireland have to stand on the touchlines, hoping the wind blows the ball away from the goal. And then he would ban Ireland from football forever. Even Northern Ireland, just because.

On the plus side, there is still alot of underdogs in the World Cup this time around. The big nation clashes are rarely classics, except for the penalty shoot outs. The lesser nations are going to go out fighting with a nothing to lose mentality, and it will certainly be a bit more exciting than watching the big sides knock the ball around their back four for 60 of the 90 minutes.

aye you can bet your bottom dollar that had Ireland got such a cruel, undeserved critically important goal his little froggy face would have mashed up and he would have gone a shade of red even unknown to sir alex. But no its ok cos its his beloved France have cheated their way to the world cup finals. It will be brushed under the carpet because its one of the so-called 'lesser' nations who have been cheated out of a place in the finals. I'm really angry about this, Henry should hold his head in shame, he will now be eternally remembered for this incident and not being one of the most skillful strikers in the modern game. Cascasrino's article is a good read.

Did you see it at the end when Henry sat down next to Dunne, and started having a natter like they were bestest pals. Why the balls didn't Dunne stand up and punt him right in the egg? What a chump.

I understand Henry was so desperate to keep the ball in play that he instinctively did it by any means neccesary, as it happens alot. But what I don't understand is how no official saw it, or how Henry could even have the gall to carry on playing after 2 or 3 handballs, or how Given even let the ball get so close to the byline without coming to meet it. Looking at the replays, Henry shouldn't have even had the chance to handball it. Bad goalkeeping decision.

Still. I hope France get stuffed by Honduras or New Zealand and go out in the first round.

Shay does stupid shit like that all the time and always has done, but oh noez, you can't criticise da bestest goalkeepah in da league!

Absolutely shocking decision from the officials last night though. You can question whether or not the referee was in a position to see it and it did happen very quickly, but it was just so blatant, surely at least one of the linesmen must have seen what happened? I'm not an advocate of goal-line technology and video replays at all, but it would've stopped this happening at least.

At least we know France will get a good tonking in the finals. I don't think they're even the strongest team in the second pot.

I'm sorry, but people need a sense of perspective about this.

Sure Henry handballed it, but it was obvious just a reaction and not a premeditated attempt to cheat; he didn't have time to think 'I'm going to keep this in with my hand then cross it for a goal.'

It is the referee and the linesman who have to make the call and I think it is them, particularly the linesman, who should be getting the grief. There's definetely something fishy going on with regards to the big nations in qualifying for major tournments; the seeding system than miraculously sprung up is one example. Also, on a lesser scale, remember that decision when we played Italy?

Anyone who plays football gets the mantra 'play by the whistle' drummed into them from an early age. We can't expect footballers to become self-regulating. That said, it is all the more galling because it is the dirty French.

Still, here's hoping for another Senegal...

Regardless of his perception of the situation, he still used a method of control which is against the rules. A huge, massive, fundamental part of the game, and even if it wasn't as blatant as "I'm gonna catch this, and I'm gonna throw it in the net, 'cos I fucking hate the Irish, me", to gain victory from that is certainly cheating, whichever way you want to look at it. Look at the replay, he controls it with his hands a minimum of 3 times, because the first attempt didn't work, so the situation is absolutely riddled with intent.

I'm not in favour of video replays, but I am in favour of more officials stood behind the goal. The game is at its quickest when the ball is in the box and these situations happen so fast. If someone was stood at Given's near post, they would have seen it. It was incredibly intentional, so it would have been an early bath for Henry and his Gilette products.

However, whilst not being in favour of video replays, the 4th official certainly has the technology to review situations. I don't understand why this isn't used, for game-changing situations like this of course. Not every single niggling foul, push or bad word.

Man, I can't even get on Wikipedia at work.

Whats wrong with learning?!?

Here's the first paragraph:

Career

Nowdays, Tony behaves a bit like a twat, expressing his outraged yet hypocritical opinions in an otherwise respectable newspaper like the Times. Having originally planned to be a hair-dresser and a part time yoga instructor, Cascarino joined Gillingham F.C. in 1982 from Crockenhill FC, for a transfer fee of a set of tracksuit tops and some corrugated iron.[1] He went on to play for Millwall the club he supported as a boy. Millwall had missed an opportunity to sign Cascarino as a youngster and subsequently paid The Gills 225,000 to secure his services. He went on to play for Aston Villa, Celtic and Chelsea. However, his most successful years were with Olympique de Marseille and Nancy in the French Ligue 1 and Ligue 2.

Nice find Carrots :up:

Of course they won't.

Yeah, it was a bad decision and un-sportsmanlike conduct from Henry, but if you allow/force the match to be replayed on the basis that the referee didn't pick it up during the game then it sets a very dangerous prescedent.

What would have happened if Ireland had scored afterwards and gone through? The Henry incident would've been overlooked amid the celebration. You cannot punish an incident based on the final outcome of the match - from a regulatory body's point of view the incident must be looked at on it's own.