aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

What's the deal with Dons fans? Sigma Olomouc are a tidy side, and after a 5-1 raping at the Pitt, 3-0 in the away leg is a pretty reasonable result.

3-2 win against Celtic...

Ach, more just the manner of it I guess. Should have been worse tonight, Langfield shouln't have been on the pitch to save that penalty for a start.

AFC can die.

Celtic will horse us about 10-0 next week.

Complete and utter shambles.

I simply can't understand why McGhee has signed absolutely no-one in almost 2 months and seems to have no list of targets.

Now we are getting a midfielder and striker to play as trialists against Hull.

Maybe some defenders might be a better option.

AFC can die.

Celtic will horse us about 10-0 next week.

Complete and utter shambles.

I simply can't understand why McGhee has signed absolutely no-one in almost 2 months and seems to have no list of targets.

Now we are getting a midfielder and striker to play as trialists against Hull.

Maybe some defenders might be a better option.

I imagine McGhee has a list of targets himself, but is keeping things quiet so we don't lose out on players a la Reda Johnson.

Yes, the result in Europe was awful, but I'm not throwing myself of a cliff yet. I'm happy to wait and see what the end of the transfer window brings, and for me this season has to be about McGhee stamping his ways on the club.

I imagine McGhee has a list of targets himself, but is keeping things quiet so we don't lose out on players a la Reda Johnson.

Yes, the result in Europe was awful, but I'm not throwing myself of a cliff yet. I'm happy to wait and see what the end of the transfer window brings, and for me this season has to be about McGhee stamping his ways on the club.

Judging by the way things have gone so far, his methods are working about as well as a lead balloon.

We badly need players by next weekend. Even just some stop-gap defenders.

And rumor is Diamond to Celtic today for 900k plus O'Dea on loan for the season.

Judging by the way things have gone so far, his methods are working about as well as a lead balloon.

We badly need players by next weekend. Even just some stop-gap defenders.

And rumor is Diamond to Celtic today for 900k plus O'Dea on loan for the season.

Rumour been floating about for a while...a couple of pages back too (although the fee keeps rising :)).

I'm sure we'll see movement towards transfers this week.

Holy shit, the season starts tomorrow...

Correction - the season starts tonight. Woooo! C'mon Boro!

Looks like Alves is off to the Middle East for a small fraction of what we paid for him, oh well, we've got Leroy Lita now so that's a more than fair swap. For some reason Tuncay hasn't left yet, he was awesome last season so I can't understand why no one wants him - don't think he'll be starting tonight though since he didn't feature at all in pre-season. Shame Paddy Kenny isn't playing, it was his stellar own goal that got us a win against them in the FA Cup last year, albeit in extra time of the replay.

Anticipation is high, confidence is high, the only way is down, hurray.

Correction - the season starts tonight. Woooo! C'mon Boro!

Looks like Alves is off to the Middle East for a small fraction of what we paid for him, oh well, we've got Leroy Lita now so that's a more than fair swap. For some reason Tuncay hasn't left yet, he was awesome last season so I can't understand why no one wants him - don't think he'll be starting tonight though since he didn't feature at all in pre-season. Shame Paddy Kenny isn't playing, it was his stellar own goal that got us a win against them in the FA Cup last year, albeit in extra time of the replay.

Anticipation is high, confidence is high, the only way is down, hurray.

I hope Boro come back up cos I like Southgate as a manager, and I respect the chairman for sticking by him. If they bounce back the chairman will be applauded for his loyalty, but if they end up mid table he's going to look like an utter cunt.

What the fuck? McGhee's played two games against an underrated, well coached Czech side. You never had much of a chance in Europe with the squad you have. The manager, and players, will have no chance of achieving the unrealistic expectations of the fans unless you actually get behind them rather than whingeing about losing heavily to frankly, a better team. Of course, it's upsetting to see your team lose heavily, but how are they meant to improve unless you give the manager a chance to mould his team in the way he wants to?

Pre-season's been a bit of a disaster, that's a given. But it's what he does now that really counts. He got an average, demoralised Motherwell side with a terrible pitch into Europe. His man management skills have been so far, commendable. Give him a chance.

• Upvote 2

"Aberdeen boss Mark McGhee plans to run the rule over Rohan Ricketts and Craig Rocastle in Sunday's Dean Windass testimonial at Hull."

McGhee to run the rule over duo | Scottish Premier League | Football News from TEAMtalk

Trialists I've actually heard of! Tho Ricketts has as worse record than Mackie. "Ricketts spent last season in the MLS with Toronto, scoring four goals in 39 appearances, but the 26-year-old was released and has returned to the UK."

What the fuck? McGhee's played two games against an underrated, well coached Czech side. You never had much of a chance in Europe with the squad you have. The manager, and players, will have no chance of achieving the unrealistic expectations of the fans unless you actually get behind them rather than whingeing about losing heavily to frankly, a better team. Of course, it's upsetting to see your team lose heavily, but how are they meant to improve unless you give the manager a chance to mould his team in the way he wants to?

Pre-season's been a bit of a disaster, that's a given. But it's what he does now that really counts. He got an average, demoralised Motherwell side with a terrible pitch into Europe. His man management skills have been so far, commendable. Give him a chance.

Well said. Typically Aberdeen fans are baying for blood already when realistically it is going to take time to re-build and adjust a very poor squad both in ability and depth-wise. Yes, you got butt-fucked in Europe, but to be honest did you honestly think you wouldn't? It was always going to happen. There needs to be some wholesale changes in attitude at AFC both on the pitch, in the stands and in the boardroom. It's a bit of a joke really.

It'll happen, it'll just take time.

Trialists I've actually heard of! Tho Ricketts has as worse record than Mackie. "Ricketts spent last season in the MLS with Toronto, scoring four goals in 39 appearances, but the 26-year-old was released and has returned to the UK."

He's a midfielder for fucks sake, not a striker. He's played at Premier League level against good teams and also at Championship level. Stop fucking moaning.

He's a midfielder for fucks sake, not a striker. He's played at Premier League level against good teams and also at Championship level. Stop fucking moaning.

Jesus, do you have sand in your vagina or something? I wasn't moaning, maybe you missed the tone of the "trialists I've actually heard of!" statement. I thought he was a striker, so I stand correct. Bu seriously, lighten up a bit.

Jesus, do you have sand in your vagina or something? I wasn't moaning, maybe you missed the tone of the "trialists I've actually heard of!" statement. I thought he was a striker, so I stand correct. Bu seriously, lighten up a bit.

It's the whole negative spin thing, "worse than Mackie" of course he'll be worse at scoring than Mackie, he's a right sided midfielder. Your post wasn't a "woooohoooo, we've got a player that's played with some quality players, against quality opposition and at a high quality level" it was all doom and fucking gloom, "he's shite, he's only scored 4 goals in the last 39 games and he's playing in the MLS". You aren't going to get Kaka playing for you, Ricketts is about your level.

Another plus point is that it'll give all of you a good reason to shout "ROOOOOHAAAAAAN!" in a lord of the rings style - which is always fun.

I really do like boros chances this season, our back 4 is pretty solid - no one is going to be beating huth/poggy/wheater in the air - it's just the other end of the pitch that needed sorting out and that looks to be heading in the right direction.

RRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!

It's the whole negative spin thing, "worse than Mackie" of course he'll be worse at scoring than Mackie, he's a right sided midfielder. Your post wasn't a "woooohoooo, we've got a player that's played with some quality players, against quality opposition and at a high quality level" it was all doom and fucking gloom, "he's shite, he's only scored 4 goals in the last 39 games and he's playing in the MLS". You aren't going to get Kaka playing for you, Ricketts is about your level.

As I already explained, I thought he was a striker, and 4 goals a season is a poor return for a striker, be it Kaka or Ade Akinbiyi. There's no doom and gloom about it, that's just fact. Also, it called gallows humour, sometimes football fans do that. However as you already pointed out he's a right winger, and as I already pointed out, I was wrong. In summary, you know everything and I am a total plum. Thus you win. :girl:

As I already explained, I thought he was a striker, and 4 goals a season is a poor return for a striker, be it Kaka or Ade Akinbiyi. However as you already pointed out he's a right winger, and as I already pointed out, I was wrong. In summary, you know everything and I am a total plum. Thus you win. :princess:

Nah, i just know him from when he was playing at Spurs. He's a good footballer, you could do a lot worse.

4 goals is a shite return if you're not providing for another striker as well.