aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Beer Festival... fun to be had?

Hello. My (24th) burfday falls on Friday 5th of June which is when the Beer Festival is in full swing this year at Pittodrie and i'm thinking about attending with my matez.

I was wondering who has been and can tell me if it's any good? It sounds like an opportunity for a good laugh but i was worried that it may be filled with austere foodie types who would be seriously offended by our presence... y'know, a birthday night, might get a bit loud :partyboy: we don't want to go somewhere terribly boring after all!

And, don't get me wrong i'm genuinely interested in the mad beer n' cider flavours but that will only last about 4 or 5 pints tbf.

So yeah, is it a fun time knees-up or a serious tasting meet? Any help is appreciated!

Cheers!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild
So yeah, is it a fun time knees-up or a serious tasting meet? Any help is appreciated!

It's a mixture of both really. I think most of the punters attend with the intention of being serious tasters, but after about 5 pints everyone gets chatty and rowdy really. Always a good atmosphere. I shall be in attendance this year for sure.

I'm organising a work trip on the Thursday of the festival; here's some of the info i've attached to the email sent around our staff.

Aberdeen Grampian & Northern Isles CAMRA - The Campaign For Real Ale

If you haven't been to one of these festivals before, the idea is that:

* you pay 5 entry, where you will receive a commemorative pint glass (you can go again on the friday and/or saturday for free, just by showing your glass upon entry) as well as an 'ale menu' which lists all the drink available, as well as location/history/flavours/ingredients etc

* once inside you buy paper tokens, which you will use to buy the ales with. You can buy as much/little as you like.

* you hand over your tokens and glass to the 'pint puller' (looking for an old, fat man with a bushy moustache is the general rule of thumb), to which they will either pull you a pint or half pint, depending on your want.

* repeat this last step many times over.

* toilets and food are available there as well (for those who have been to the McClymont Hall Ale festivals, there are many MANY more toilets at Pittodrie!)

Guest idol_wild
How much is (on average) it for a pint at this?

I can't recall precisely; you buy a book of tokens (can't remember how much these books are) and that becomes your currency for the night. Different ales and beers will cost different amounts of tokens.

If memory serves correctly, though, the currency translates as no more than the average pub price.

Shame about it's location, it was better than it was at that community centre on Holburn Street - better atmosphere and nowhere near as cold!

ABERDEEN BEER FESTIVAL TOP TIP - THE DUDES SERVING YOU WILL MOST LIKELY BE AT LEAST SLIGHTLY TIPSY. SO - ALWAYS ASK FOR A HALF PINT, AS YOU ALWAYS GET WAY MORE THAN A HALF PINT!

TOP TIP!

Shame about it's location, it was better than it was at that community centre on Holburn Street - better atmosphere and nowhere near as cold!

ABERDEEN BEER FESTIVAL TOP TIP - THE DUDES SERVING YOU WILL MOST LIKELY BE AT LEAST SLIGHTLY TIPSY. SO - ALWAYS ASK FOR A HALF PINT, AS YOU ALWAYS GET WAY MORE THAN A HALF PINT!

TOP TIP!

Yeah, not just that but you get to taste a wider selection of ales. I've not been since it moved to Pittodrie but tempted to go next Friday.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

so thurs is the 4th...couldn't be bothered checking :)

think i'll head down, in theory it should be a little quieter on the thurs...

I've been the last two years.

You pay 5 for a glass which lets you go in on all 3 days if you want and 5 for tokens. You can buy aditional tokens also.

Generally you don't order a pint of anything as there is so much try and the 'half pint' tends to be a good bit more than a pint.

I never noticed anyone ridiculously drunk or making a nuisence of themselves and there is a good bit of banter to be had. You generally don't over indulge to the extreme as you want to enjoy what you drink and some of the stuff is quite heavy going.

At the end you can vote for your favourite beer.

Last year there was about 80 Beer/Ales and and about 10 ciders. This year there will be more. There are some things in bottles but never seen anyone try them.

There is also a ridiculous amount of men with beards.

Aberdeen Grampian & Northern Isles CAMRA - The Campaign For Real Ale

Looks like the plan is to meet Stuart, dan and Kyle in the moorings between 6 and 7 and then head down. Really lookin forward to trying the ciders and hopefully all the deeside ales will be there as well.

Very tempted to join this expedition. It is my post-exam period after all and the weather has been so nice to us. . . What harm can a few nice refreshing, half-pint-sized beers do?

:bat: