aberdeen-music

Finally! P&J gets behing the local music scene...

Frosty Jack

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thread. Scenesters have to ask themselves why an a covers duo can pull over 150 punters on a tuesday night in O'Donoghue's. I know it's in Nedsville but still.

Totally agree

Covers bands get to have fun and also get payed lots for doing so.....how good is that?!

My cousin in the Drummer in The Clashed, a really good touring tribute band who get to go all over the place, play their favorite clash songs and get payed shitloads of cash

dont knock it cos you cant do it (or something...)

so um... if they started writing about something that interested you

then you'd read it..?

wasnt that the point ?

No. I will continue to flick through it to keep my knowledge of who's cat is stuck up a tree, which local children have debilitating diseases and which 'star' player has rejected AFC for a more fulfilling career in the english third division bang up to date.

As for anything else, I'd rather believe the horoscopes.

yikes!

a telling off from a 'senior scenester'

and 'fucking high horses'

whats all that about???????? (it could be a good film)

same old cheap shitty comment anytime someone dares to say ANYTHING against the 'scene'

thats why its so shit

insularness

WE ALL MUST THINK THE SAME

repeat this kids

WE ALL MUST THINK THE SAME

THE SCENE MUST BE OBEYED

KILL YOUR MOTHER

etc

the only way we ever have a >CREDIBLE UNDERGROUND SCENE< is when we when reality finally sinks in (look up 'underground' in the dictionary if you dont understand)

christ didn't realise i was a 'senior scenester', does that mean i get to collect my scene pension then?

look i'm not saying that people can't have an opinion against the scene or anything all i've been saying(and it does seem like i'm banging my head against a brick wall here) is that it can't do any harm to get a bit more publicity and the local press is an obvious target for that. we're not all underground/alternative elitists here, okay we want to do things a certain way but that's no reason to stop us playing in front of as many people as we can. a good way to do that would be to try and get some attention from the local press. what's the reality you speak of? are you saying we should all realise that we're going nowhere and be content with the world of fanzines, drakes and this messageboard? hey i can do that, i've done it ages ago. i hold no grand ideas about 'making it' in the music biz, i have no desires to move to london or be on totp, but i do believe in aberdeen's music community. very very strongly. i think there's an amazing amount of talented people here who work really really hard for very little recognition from even the home audiences. i know we don't need recognition from these people but if it means that instead of going to the cinema joe bloggs and his girlfriend might come to a gig by an aberdeen band who've written a set of their own songs that they believe passionately in and want people to hear them then that's a good thing. even if they decide they're shite.

i don't mind if you think there's nothing of any worth in aberdeen, you're free to think what you want but you can't stop people from trying. some people actually care about the music scene in aberdeen because at it's best it's a community, a valued part of peoples lives and it's something that people feel really belongs to them. at it's worst it's a place full of hipsters and assholes.

see i don't really understand what the argument is here, are you saying that your main problem with all this is just that it makes us look uncool and unrock and roll? if it's not that then what is your point? there's nothing to lose in this. the scene will not self destruct if the p and j or evening express start covering it more. it will have no bad effect on any band covered. how could it? so they might spell someones name wrong or be a bit condascending, fuck it. what harm's it done?

i don't mind if you think there's nothing of any worth in aberdeen

see i don't really understand what the argument is here' date=' are you saying that your main problem with all this is just that it makes us look uncool and unrock and roll?

[/quote']

I can see where you are coming from in most of your post (not the same place as me, but probably on the same continent) but ill clarify the main differences

theres plenty of worth in aberdeen imo - at least, seven spectacularly good bands that I know of (but probably more) with a shit load of potential, and theres a disproportionate amount of cool venues - but theres also a lot of shite. The shite has proliferated over the good stuff for some time now in the local gig listings, although things are slowly improving imo..........but aberdeen is not the centre of the universe as a hell of a lot of local music scenesters like to think (usually cos they have no experience of other 'scenes')....and that insularness pisses a lot of people off when the wee fuckers publically suck each others egos...its laughable and they get very angry when people laugh at them (like the red neck hillbilly retards in a chainsaw movie)

and the un-cool, un rock n roll thing regards lobbying the local poo rag.......well yeh it does seem that way to me....but thats only an opinion....but the factual point i made is that its also a waste of time and effort for an underground band looking to alert an undergound audience

for someone who alledgedly is soooooo anti local scene I sometimes end up putting quite a bit of effort (at leat 5 minutes a day)in trying to get it (the music scene), to get its shit together

wierd

I can see where you are coming from in most of your post (not the same place as me' date=' but probably on the same continent) but ill clarify the main differences

theres plenty of worth in aberdeen imo - at least, seven spectacularly good bands that I know of (but probably more) with a shit load of potential, and theres a disproportionate amount of cool venues - but theres also a lot of shite. The shite has proliferated over the good stuff for some time now in the local gig listings, although things are slowly improving imo..........but aberdeen is not the centre of the universe as a hell of a lot of local music scenesters like to think (usually cos they have no experience of other 'scenes')....and that insularness pisses a lot of people off when the wee fuckers publically suck each others egos...its laughable and they get very angry when people laugh at them (like the red neck hillbilly retards in a chainsaw movie)

and the un-cool, un rock n roll thing regards lobbying the local poo rag.......well yeh it does seem that way to me....but thats only an opinion....but the factual point i made is that its also a waste of time and effort for an underground band looking to alert an undergound audience

for someone who alledgedly is soooooo anti local scene I sometimes end up putting quite a bit of effort (at leat 5 minutes a day)in trying to get it (the music scene), to get its shit together

wierd[/quote']

see that's better, i can see where you're coming from now. a bit. :)

i don't think this was about being insular, it was just about trying to gain a bigger audience and maybe persuade some folks who wouldn't normally come to gigs to give it a go. admittedly it was centred on aberdeen but only cause it was the p and j and the evening express we were talking about. by all means everyone should be pestering venues, e-zines, fanzines and the like all over the country anyway but they should also be pestering the local press. i don't think it's a waste of time and on that we'll probably never agree.

with regards to being anti scene it's probably more to do with the fact that you antagonise people rather than try and discuss things(from what i've seen, i don't spend a lot of time round these parts) when posting. so i guess folks just think you're trying to make trouble and poo poo all their ideas. maybe more helfpul suggestions rather than just rubbishing something would be good. not that you'll want or take my ideas about this cause i'm sure(and this isn't a dig) you don't mind what people on here think about you.

the venues are great and there is a growing number of great bands too, i just think that if everyone looks out for everyone else then things could really take it off. hey, i ain't saying any band that makes it(to whatever degree that is) should be helping other bands up the ladder or anything but if we try and keep aberdeen as a good strong place to play gigs and ahve fun then hopefully those that don't end up making a career out of this will still be able to gig and have fun 20 years from now in a community similar to what we have now. just bigger, and with more great bands! i'm an idealist really, but it could happen and it could be a great laugh in the process.

agree

yup

a sort of shared vision from different angles :up:

but ill still contest that 'different' opinions do not equal 'negative' opinions

it just means different-ness (?)

nor is there a design to fuck up the majority

if anyone gets upset about me or anyone saying something different, they really should see a doctor

blah blah etc

*checks out P&J for latest hip happenings and chip shop opening times*

Guest The Reverend Z. Munch

Even if you did get any form of media coverage at your gigs, you would never get any constructive criticism from any of their hacks anyway.

Every single gig i have seen reviewed in the EE and the P+J has always said "it was an absolutely great gig, the crowd were fantastic and the band/artist didn't put a foot wrong" and you name it, from Elton John's gig at Pittodrie to a performance by the Billy Shears Band, i haven't read one review that said "Travis played an awful gig last night at the Aberdeen Exhibition & Conference Centre" or "Radiohead had no charisma at all and their entire performance was so soporific that it sent most of the Aberdonian audience into a coma"...are you trying to tell me every single concert or gig thats come to Aberdeen has been excellent???

I think you need to earn your newsworthiness rather than expecting it, there hasn't been many bands here that have done anything that deserves media attention.

The majority of the people in Aberdeen would rather see a band or artist they know about than a local band they know sweet F.A about, sure some form of media coverage might help with that but how are we to know exactly how effective Del Franklin's Thursday column in the EE helps with gigs?

Does it attract droves and hordes of people to the gigs he writes about in his column?, i am sure Del would help in answering that question and Del's show also gave some exposure to the local scene but it didn't exactly help in increasing attendance figures at gigs either.

Your reputation, talent and performances can only help to increase your status and the strength of your band's name in the scene, hard work and consistency are the main factors that will help your band not some two paragraph article that is likely to be stuck on page 13 - a page not likely to be read by the majority of EE and P+J readers.

If your band is good enough to gain any kind of media coverage then it will, its as simple as that.

And, another thing...

Why are most of you slagging off covers bands when most of you are practically tribute bands anyway?

Reading through some of the prissy posts on this thread just tells me one thing -

The scene ain't changed one damn bit.

Every single gig i have seen reviewed in the EE and the P+J has always said "it was an absolutely great gig' date=' the crowd were fantastic and the band/artist didn't put a foot wrong" and you name it, from Elton John's gig at Pittodrie to a performance by the Billy Shears Band, i haven't read one review that said "Travis played an awful gig last night at the Aberdeen Exhibition & Conference Centre" or "Radiohead had no charisma at all and their entire performance was so soporific that it sent most of the Aberdonian audience into a coma"...are you trying to tell me every single concert or gig thats come to Aberdeen has been excellent???

[/quote']

Wrong. Turbonegro got a bad review in the Evening Express. I think it said they were "disappointing".

Wrong. Turbonegro got a bad review in the Evening Express. I think it said they were "disappointing".

Wow, what a coup.

That must be like one bad review in the many hundreds they do every year!

But even if bands here were to get reviewed by the EE, i wonder how many of the egotistical wannabe rockstars who are part of the pissclub could actually take their band being called "disappointing" without going into a tears-and-tantrum fit about it...

You see it's all about being canny, playing a better game than your opponents involves creating the illusion you aren't playing.

You need an example? How to promote bands using subliminal use of colour... no, of course I'm not going to tell you exactly how, but here's a clue - look back at this thread.

Oh, and if you want to get in your local rag, you have to remember that the everage local hack is a semi-literate lazy half-wit who would like nothing better than to do no work at all and at the same time seem learned, erudite and sexually alluring. Write a decent press release and they will print it word for word. When I say decent though, also bear in mind that 98% of press releases, those from record companies and professional PR folks included, are bowel-churningly tedious.

I rest my case, and I rest my feet on my case. There is a broken jar inside it and marmalade leaks from the cracks.

Guest Stripey

You think you say everything, yet you say nothing.

If these bands don't know how to promote themselves, then they don't know how to promote themselves. If their material isn't attention grabbing, then it isn't attention grabbing. I don't think anyone should expect a helping hand, and if they do, then they are destined to fail anyway. The worst thing is seeing them whing about it.

You see it's all about being canny' date=' playing a better game than your opponents involves creating the illusion you aren't playing.

You need an example? How to promote bands using subliminal use of colour... no, of course I'm not going to tell you exactly how, but here's a clue - look back at this thread.

Oh, and if you want to get in your local rag, you have to remember that the everage local hack is a semi-literate lazy half-wit who would like nothing better than to do no work at all and at the same time seem learned, erudite and sexually alluring. Write a decent press release and they will print it word for word. When I say decent though, also bear in mind that 98% of press releases, those from record companies and professional PR folks included, are bowel-churningly tedious.

I rest my case, and I rest my feet on my case. There is a broken jar inside it and marmalade leaks from the cracks.[/quote']

Woof!!!!!

It has oc-'cur'-red to me you may be right (or else you're barking mad!). You have made me terrier-stricken, but I fear you may be hounded by other forum members, you wag, you! You won't winalot of friends with your observations, 'Pal', but I still think you're top-dog, apart from one!!.....I'll say Shaun F (alsatianF).

Kitchen Cynics.........................................OK, I'll get my collar!...............................

I reckon local bands should act more football club-like and get themselves sponsors to help them with funding better gigs and recording time.

Imagine the posters outside Drakes...

TONIGHT - DEDALUS sponsored by Dee Carpets ON STAGE AT 10PM, with support from 10 EASY WISHES sponsored by Dobbies Garden Centre AND RADIO LUCIFER sponsored by The Torry Fish Bar

Plus they'd have to wear special t-shirts promoting both their name and the business who helped pay for the t-shirt...

Rudi Betamax onstage wearing his trademark black sunshades and sporting a black cotton t-shirt with Real Shocks written in neon pink piped writing and underneath it, emblazoned in fiery neon orange piping....

"SPONSORED BY THE ABERDEEN INDOOR BOWLING CLUB"

Corporate rock n roll folks!!!, thats the only way to go!

If you do that shit then those P+J motherfuckers might write something about you.

For all the complaints the EE had 2 articles about Aberdeen musicians on Thursday' date=' so it really is about how you market yourself to them...

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Fucking right, i think if you were to send a press release saying something like...

"Alyssa's Wish, sponsored by Thrifty Van Rental and Doonies Rare Breed Farm, wish to invite the Press & Journal to review their gig which will take place at The Moorings this Friday.

Support will come from Deadloss Superstar sponsored by Abdul Haircutters and Pets Pantry, King Liar & The Brutes sponsored by Trojan Crates Ltd and The Tastie Tattie and Electric Tibet sponsored by The Torry Heel N Key Bar and Stonehaven Caravan Park

Cheers, we hope you can be there to write a one sentence review of the entire gig and we look forward to reading the aforementioned review on page 16 of the Press + Journal sometime"

then maybe, just maybe they might take more of an interest..

COME ON PEOPLE!!! ITS ALL ABOUT KEEPING THE SCEEEEEEEEEEEEENE ALLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest RockMonkey

psydoll: it was me and a Fat Hippy release. I don't know about their story but they seemed to just make a lot of mine up (i am not chasing a record deal and hoping my new album will land me a huge record deal, I just want to sell enough to build a studio) and put a cheesy pic in of me holding my guitar. in case anyone wasn't sure what i did from reading the story.

Rudi Betamax onstage wearing his trademark black sunshades and sporting a black cotton t-shirt with Real Shocks written in neon pink piped writing and underneath it' date=' emblazoned in fiery neon orange piping....

"SPONSORED BY THE ABERDEEN INDOOR BOWLING CLUB"

Corporate rock n roll folks!!!, thats the only way to go!

[/quote']

I' ll be the last one in town to sell out to those community centre media whores!!!

Soul Sucking Radge Cunts using bands like some Hoop La attraction at the Newtonhill summer Fete. Tsh. Really.

You'll never see me wearing a T shirt advertising anything - EVER!

*notices raggy Planet Boo 13 shirt on self*

actually, I spotted some cover band driving round in their van with ''sponsored by'' stuff painted all over it the other day. Various local retail outlets including a music shop or two. But mostly stuff like Bakers Oven and Tasty Tattie I think. There was a fat bastard driving it anyway so that makes sense.

SO THE NIGHTMARE IS HERE ALREADY.

And why do they need sponsorship?

I assumed all cover bands got payed absolutely kerzillions for their often horrible reworkings of songs that were often horrible at best in the first instance. etc*

*- Excludes The Clashed, Sixteen Again, T Rextasy, Driveblind and any other good covers Band.