aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

I haven't had a yorkshire pudding in years. I was telling someone about them a while back and after describing them they said 'oh, you mean like a popover?... you should go to this place, blah blah'. So i check out this place called 'Popover cafe' where these supposed American yorkshire puddings were served. Look at this monstrosity I was served:

9653233.jpg?615

The crust was about a half inch thick and crusty as hell. Served with strawberry cream cheese and butter.

Do people make their own or buy frozen? Ive attempted my own ones, but i can never get them quite right. 

Best meal accompaniment ever? I think so. 

The trick is to make sure everything retains its heat (oven, oil and baking tray).

So you have your baking tray with oil in the oven to heat, when you take it out to add the pudding mix, make sure you shut the oven door again until you're ready to put them in to cook, then leave them there until they're done (don't fanny about opening the door again, even to put other stuff in).

• Upvote 2

Frozen ones are horrid. They have a really weird texture, almost like a croissant, but less puffy. They're just not yorkshire puddings. They are pure evil.

Always make your own. They're so easy to do, and different ovens will always provide different results, which is interesting. Ovens will fluctuate in temperature at different rates. Some quite rapidly, and others are more stable, and it has an effect the baking of the yorkshire pudding, and not always in a negative way.

We were meant to have a roast on Sunday, but we were a bit too hungover. Tomorrow though, Wednesday roast. There's only two of us, but I'll probably still make a full tray of 12. Fuck the police.

Frozen ones are horrid. They have a really weird texture, almost like a croissant, but less puffy. They're just not yorkshire puddings. They are pure evil.

Always make your own. They're so easy to do, and different ovens will always provide different results, which is interesting. Ovens will fluctuate in temperature at different rates. Some quite rapidly, and others are more stable, and it has an effect the baking of the yorkshire pudding, and not always in a negative way.

We were meant to have a roast on Sunday, but we were a bit too hungover. Tomorrow though, Wednesday roast. There's only two of us, but I'll probably still make a full tray of 12. Fuck the police.

Mashed or roasted tatties? I make both, because i fucking love tatties, roasted especially. 

Not to blow my own trumpet, but i make banging roasters, its just a case of getting the boiling right, having the oven really hot, a good tray, and i stole a wee tip from Jamie Oliver. Half way through roasting, get your masher, and push down on the tatties to split shell if you will, gives you a really really crispy roaster whilst keeping the inside nice and soft. I also use butter when im roasting them along with goose fat if i can get it, if not just cooking oil.

Parsnips are great roasted, but i like carrots more, they are best served roasted or in soup i think.

Do people make their own or buy frozen? Ive attempted my own ones, but i can never get them quite right. 

Best meal accompaniment ever? I think so. 

Make your own it's a piece of piss.

The recipe is simple and the main trick is just to put the oil in the tray and then stick it in the oven for a few minutes first. Then add the batter to the tray.  Follow Adam's advice about keeping the door shut as well.

Leftover batter can also be used for pancakes.

Not to blow my own trumpet, but i make banging roasters, its just a case of getting the boiling right, having the oven really hot, a good tray, and i stole a wee tip from Jamie Oliver. Half way through roasting, get your masher, and push down on the tatties to split shell if you will, gives you a really really crispy roaster whilst keeping the inside nice and soft. I also use butter when im roasting them along with goose fat if i can get it, if not just cooking oil.

Parsnips are great roasted, but i like carrots more, they are best served roasted or in soup i think.

I forgot all about the masher tip. I did that once and they were indeed lovely.

Probably not a popular choice but butternut Squash is a great roasted veg. I'd place it above the parsnip for me. Not as part of a 'roast' of course but as a standalone roasted veg it's a treat.

A most wonderful article was published last week: The 20 best Sandwiches in Brooklyn.

http://www.bkmag.com/2013/10/01/the-20-best-sandwiches-in-20-brooklyn-neighborhoods/

Me and my other half are embarking on a mission to eat them all. First stop is tonight... MeltKraft in Park Slope to try their 'Melter Skelter'

"Raclette style cheese, Pickled green tomatoes, Jalapeno, BBQ potato chips, and Watercress"

I'll report back

• Upvote 2