aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Promos for TV shows masquerading as news.  BBC Scotland are terrible for it.  Keep sneaking the odd item into their evening news and onto the website that seems suspiciously in depth or strangely out of kilter with the rest of the news output. Then surprise surprise at the end of the item they say "and you can see more of that 'story' on a special program tonight at 9pm".  

This is a prime example: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24430345

Detailed article on the BBC news site, in a prominent position and got a 5 minute segment on Reporting Scotland. It's not news! There's nothing new or newsworthy in it!

According to UK law it is racist. From the Crime And Disorder Act 1998; A racial group means a group of persons defined by reference to race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins. Link here; http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/racist_and_religious_crime/

Actually, the word "racist" is a bit of a pet hate of mine. Science has shown we're all the same species and that race as a concept is largely outmoded and outdated. By continuing to use that word we're helping to propagate the lie that your ethnic origins determine your value as a person. We need a new word to describe intolerant assholes, and reserve the word "racist" for people who actually do believe in the superiority of one "race" over others.

It's xenophobia as far as i'm concerned.

Then they'd probably need to be going on about crackers, honkeys or whiteys rather than just Poles.

But if they weren't. If they were talking about Poles in particular. Would that be racist?

How about if I talk shit about a Nigerian? Saying how I hate Nigerians because they have funny names and love colorful shirts. Is that racist? Ghanaians are cool though.

But if they weren't. If they were talking about Poles in particular. Would that be racist?

How about if I talk shit about a Nigerian? Saying how I hate Nigerians because they have funny names and love colorful shirts. Is that racist? Ghanaians are cool though.

No, it would be Xenophobic.

If you're talking shit about particular traits that a "race" has or their proclivity for funcy top-half garms then in the second statement you could be being Racist.

My understanding of Xenophobia was that it is an irrational fear/hatred of foreigners in general whereas Racism is actually based soley on ethnicity or ancestry.

Now if JB's broheim had been back-chatting on the Western Slavic appearance or said Poles we'd have a case of racism on our hands.

Xenophobia's a fear of those that are different, rather than simple hatred. Militant xenophobia, maybe. But then, how do legislate against a phobia when some phobias are related to mental health issues rather than the decision to perform intolerant and hateful actions?

The OED classifies Xenophobia as an irrational hatred of foreigners.

How do you legislate against Homophobia?

I don't see the problem with the band dj set thing, not in principle anyway. As long as it is clear on the poster that it is a dj set. There are many acts which may be equally know for dj sets as they are for live performances. Hot chip aren't one of them but as mentioned they do dj regularly and I don't see why they should have a different name when it's the same group of people. 

However if it's the case of a band not being associated with djing at all and the crucial info is written in a tiny font I can see the original point. 

THE BEATLES (DJ SET)

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Upvote 1

No, it would be Xenophobic.

If you're talking shit about particular traits that a "race" has or their proclivity for funcy top-half garms then in the second statement you could be being Racist.

My understanding of Xenophobia was that it is an irrational fear/hatred of foreigners in general whereas Racism is actually based soley on ethnicity or ancestry.

Now if JB's broheim had been back-chatting on the Western Slavic appearance or said Poles we'd have a case of racism on our hands.

Got it.

Regardless, I'm gonna go ahead and just presume that Jake's buddies, whilst exhibiting signs of being xenophobic as a dictionary would define it, are just plain good ol'fashioned racist. I'd also be bold and assume they wouldn't be too bothered about the semantic nuances that define the two words.

Got it.

Regardless, I'm gonna go ahead and just presume that Jake's buddies, whilst exhibiting signs of being xenophobic as a dictionary would define it, are just plain good ol'fashioned racist. I'd also be bold and assume they wouldn't be too bothered about the semantic nuances that define the two words.

Aye, they're just ignorant.

Guest Cool Thinker

I put young in my comment to CT because I knew someone would bung me in with all them. But I can't be. I only work one job.

You were born in 1991, I was also born in the 90's and so was young adolescent. We are the same.

• Upvote 2

Guest Cool Thinker

Big difference between 91 and 9....7?

1996 do not forget

I have a sister who is your age and 2 brothers that are older than you one who is 13 years older than you. You are in my class at college and no everyone Jake is just his nickname his real name is Ryan Bisset and he is camp.

Bruce Forsyth is putting it to someone who 31 years younger than him and she was young when he started.

Union Square is 4 year old this month does not seem that long and that is 1 year less than the age gap between you and me so no it is not that long is it.

Guest Cool Thinker

At least I'm in my twenties. Don't throw me in with those lot. They aren't 90s kids! They weren't there for the first run of Kenan & Kel!

Like I said my brothers and sisters are older than me so was I forced to watch Nickleodeon with CatDog, The Amanda Show, Kenan & Kel (He likes Orange Juice/soda).

I lost Nickleodeon in 2001/2002 R.I.P OnDigital.

I have an exceptional memory of me being really young and remember going to Pizza Express in the 90's when I was like 3. I was there for Panda Pop, I was there for the Juice man who came door to door.

"At least I'm in my twenties" really you are clinging onto that.

Edited by Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

'96. God I feel old realising that three posters on here were born between the times I was at secondary school.

There is actually more of us but they do not post here. Just look at Jakes friend list on here.