aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

The way Australians, and I believe Americans, apply grammar to sport teams. The following sentence has me in a wee ragey:

Are! Carlton are!

I've heard that both the 'is' and 'are' in these situations are technically correct, but it just sounds so jarring it surely should be wrong.

I get where you're coming from but as you say either is technically correct and i'm sure using "are" sounds just as jarring to many Americans or Aussies.

It's not just sports teams, they do it any collective noun, such as bands. For some reason it actually sounds worse to me with bands.

Guest Gladstone
isn't it so on twitter, you can click the hashtag then it goes to all the other people who have used the hashtag too?

Twitter is clearly for losers.

FriendsReunited is where us cool kids hang out.

• Upvote 1

Are! Carlton are!

I've heard that both the 'is' and 'are' in these situations are technically correct, but it just sounds so jarring it surely should be wrong.

I think it's because you tend to see bands and sports teams as a group of recognizable individuals rather than a single identity.

Inversely, it would be downright weird referring to faceless companies with 'are', for example 'McDonalds are a massive supplier of awful food to fat people'.

The way Australians, and I believe Americans, apply grammar to sport teams. The following sentence has me in a wee ragey:

Are! Carlton are!

I don't think they are consistent when referring to other institutions. Would they say "NYPD is looking for clues", "McDonald's is bringing out a new range of health foods"? They may both be accurate but it doesn't mean you can't hate one of them.

Similarly I think they always name the away team first in a sporting fixture so would say "Saturday (missing out "on") it's Aberdeen at Kilmarnock" and would write the score "Aberdeen 0-2 Kilmarnock"

• Upvote 1

I think it's because you tend to see bands and sports teams as a group of recognizable individuals rather than a single identity.

Inversely, it would be downright weird referring to faceless companies with 'are', for example 'McDonalds are a massive supplier of awful food to fat people'.

Bizarre use of the same example at the same time. Pinky promise.

A thing which annoys me about the way sports results are mentioned over here is that if someone says a score they always say the home team's score first when we would usually say the score of the winning team first. So if I was to ask what the Aberdeen score was on saturday they'd say "nil - one".

Not that anyone here would use the word nil or know the aberdeen score.

Bizarre use of the same example at the same time. Pinky promise.

You two used the same example at the same time, but to back-up opposing points... I think.

Personally, I'd say "McDondald's are bringing out a new range of health foods", but I guess if that sounds jarring to others it just goes to prove that we'll hate whatever one we're nae used to.

You two used the same example at the same time, but to back-up opposing points... I think.

Personally, I'd say "McDondald's are bringing out a new range of health foods", but I guess if that sounds jarring to others it just goes to prove that we'll hate whatever one we're nae used to.

I reckon mine is 'logically' correct or whatever, but then logic isn't exactly the English language's strong point.

The idea that there can be a pure, correct version of the English language is a load of shite anyway. Grammar Nazis fuck off. You too, O'Leary.

Guest Gladstone

The whole "The Rangers" thing is fairly common amongst football teams. The real weegie Celtic fans call Celtic "The Celtic" or as it sounds "Rasellic", Arsenal fans call them "The Arsenal", and so on - I'm sure there are many others, but can't be arsed to think of any more examples.

The whole "The Rangers" thing is fairly common amongst football teams. The real weegie Celtic fans call Celtic "The Celtic" or as it sounds "Rasellic", Arsenal fans call them "The Arsenal", and so on - I'm sure there are many others, but can't be arsed to think of any more examples.

It does make sense, for teams with those sort of names anyway. I just don't like it, especially with Rangers :p

Bringing it back to Australian sport, they often pre-fix their football names with The, but only if it's the name of a place/city/suburb. ie. The Essendon Football Club, The Collingwood Football Club.

Sounds so pompous.

When pop/R&B stars headbang, play air guitar or do any other “rock star” style posturing during guitar interludes. I’m not boo hooing about these moves being appropriated by pop artists from “real music” or anything like that - I just think they look stupid, particularly that Nicole whatserface from the Pussy Cat Dolls. She’s a fucking moron if ever I saw one.

When pop/R&B stars headbang, play air guitar or do any other “rock star” style posturing during guitar interludes. I’m not boo hooing about these moves being appropriated by pop artists from “real music” or anything like that - I just think they look stupid, particularly that Nicole whatserface from the Pussy Cat Dolls. She’s a fucking moron if ever I saw one.

I believe its Nicole Schwerzingniviggerer.

• Upvote 1