aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

I'm a 1/4 engurlish, I have engurlish friends and my "wifeburd" is a Manc. I still find it hard not to hate the English football and rugby teams though; I get pretty het-up about it actually. Otherwise I have no problems at all. People wiser than me blame the movie Braveheart for my generations anti-english sentiments, which makes a bit of sense (I've never seen it).

Another thing that annoys me is people being unable to distinguish between The United Kingdom and Great Britain, not because it matters to me, just because people from the countries concerned should know.

The whole anti-English sentiment in this country pisses me off entirely. It's just childish and idiotic. Friendly rivarly, fair enough, but to dismiss an entire country with stupid statements like "I fucking hate the English", that shit just be straight-up ig'nant, dawg.

Still, at least we're not as bad as the Irish with the sporting thing, at least our idiots just moan about it. I remember when Eddie Irvine (of Northern Ireland) finished second at the Argentinian Grand Prix and the race organisers accidentally raised the Irish Tricolor instead of the Union Jack. Eddie got death threats and his parents got threatening phone calls. Maybe a little too far?

My memory is that he had the Irish and UK flags at alternate races, maybe I'm wrong.

Moose is adamant that his mate who works in the Feughside Inn hears the aul mannies refer to 'Struin'. We argued about this in person over the weekend. I think we need to send someone undercover to the Feughie to get a definitive answer.

it's mental though. everyone i know who lives in strachan or banchory calls it straw'n or straaan. i think the folk in the feughside are fuckin with him.

As I understood it, he had a UK birth certificate, but he'd got his racing licence in Ireland, and FIA rules dictate that you race for the country of your birth, thus he was always representing Britain - I certainly always remember there being a Union Flag when he was on the podium, except for that once.

Nationality

By virtue of being born in Northern Ireland, a constituent country of the United Kingdom, Irvine was a British citizen throughout his career. He also held a racing license issued by the National Sporting Authority of the Republic of Ireland.[11] (Drivers are not compelled to obtain their license from their home country.) The FIA's International Sporting Regulations state that drivers competing in FIA World Championships shall compete under the nationality of their passport, rather than that of the National Sporting Authority that issued their racing license, as is the case in other racing series.[12]

This situation created some confusion as to Irvine's nationality when he appeared at podium ceremonies in the Formula One World Championship. At his first podium, a third place for Jordan at the 1995 Canadian Grand Prix, the British Union Flag was flown. However, at his third podium, a second place for Ferrari at the 1997 Argentine Grand Prix, an Irish Tricolour was mistakenly flown by the race organisers.[13] This led to his family receiving threatening phone calls. Irvine then requested that at subsequent races, a politically neutral shamrock flag be flown, and the non-sectarian Londonderry Air be played to mark a victory.[11] An FIA spokesman said:

As far as we understand, Irvine has a British passport so the Union Jack should be raised. ... I understand he has a special flag, but our regulations do not allow this.

FIA spokesman Francesco Longanesi.[13]

Irvine has self-identified as being Irish:

But at the end of the day, Im Irish. I mean, Ive got a British passport, but if youre from Ireland, north or south, youre Irish. And British is. . . such a nondescript thing, isnt it?

I'll stop when he sucks my balls.

Or alternatively when he provides a link to a reasonably convincing online source to back up his argument.

You mean other than the quote from Wikipedia that I posted above?

Eddie Irvine, a Formula One driver from Conlig in Northern Ireland, asked for a white flag with a shamrock to be used if he secured a podium finish.[10] There had been controversy when an Irish tricolour had been used for him in 1997.[10] The FIA insisted the Union Flag be used in conformance with its regulations.[10]

Whereas the fansite you linked to which looks like a primary school project circa-1996 is much more reliable? The FAQ features the questions "Is he as good looking in real life?", "What type of sunglasses did he wear?" and "Im a bit kinky and I would love to buy a pair of Eddies sweaty race underpants."

polls_tie_score_5742_339627_poll_xlarge.jpeg

Though I could swear Eddie Irvine actually is a Nepalese hermaphrodite....

OK, just to put this one to bed, I've just watched the podium ceremonies from each of Eddie Irvine's race wins and I can confirm that God Save the Queen was played on each occasion.

On the plus side, I found this site where you can watch loads of complete classic races with English commentary. :)

1999 Round 15 - Malaysia Grand Prix - ?? - ???? - ????

People making comments about Wikipedia being unreliable is a pet hate of mine.

Fair enough, but there's been plenty of times when I've been on there reading about stuff I actually know about and the wiki article contains errors.

Duane Eddy's wife is actually a member of the Gretsch Pages and when she went on to correct all the information on Duane's wiki page someone else came along and changed it back. :down:

Does Wikipedia matter to anyone, anymore?: Miscellaneous Rumbles: The Gretsch Discussion Pages — since 1995: The Gretsch Pages