aberdeen-music

indoor pets...cat or rabbit?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

rabbit:

easy to look after. lives in a hutch, but needs out to run around at least once a day. can be trained to use a litter tray. chews everything within site once out cage. probably smells a bit of pee, need to clean hutch regularly, shit doesn't smell.

cat:

bit more of a handful. lives wherever it pleases. instinctively uses a litter tray. claws things? smells like nothing in particular. no hutch to clean. shit smells like it was fired out by satan himself.

it's pet time for PT's girlfriend. which is a better idea for a flat?

Cat.

My girfriend had to really fight to convince me that getting one was anything other than a shockingly bad idea, but as soon as we got him, I was hooked. Also, he doesn't claw things, he always pisses in the litter tray and he refuses to go outside.

Basically, he's the ideal house cat.

n593955225_3614175_8901.jpg

My Cat is like Jon's. It likes lots of bass and gets good vibes when it sits on top of the speakers.

I highly recommend a cat - mine is called Radio 4 so you can guess that I had three previously.

As I live in the country it can come and go as it pleases. The only problem is when you are lying stretched out on the settee and it leaps on your stomach and presents you with a live baby rabbit. This should not be a problem with a house cat.

Get a 2-3 months old kitten and watch it grow up. It will soon train you!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Get a rat. They're highly intelligent, you can train them to do stuff. Nice and clean and easy to look after. I used to have one that just had the run of the house, I just left his cage open and he'd come when I called his name. He'd sit on my lap watching tv, then run into his cage for a piss and come back out again. Brilliant pets.

Rabbits are difficult pets for experienced pet owners only apparently and the reputation they have for being a child's ideal first pet is quite ludicrous. Vet fees are also a lot higher. Cats on the other hand can be mastered OK and are much better for the average person but do live for a very long time. If however you do an older cat a favour and adopt it you wont get your house wrecked by a bastard kitten.

Have a look at Something Awful's Pet Island forum for more information than you could ever want or need to make a choice, I sometimes lurk in there for a laugh and to see the pet crazy Americans reaction when a British person admits to letting their cat outside. :)

Get a rat. They're highly intelligent, you can train them to do stuff. Nice and clean and easy to look after. I used to have one that just had the run of the house, I just left his cage open and he'd come when I called his name. He'd sit on my lap watching tv, then run into his cage for a piss and come back out again. Brilliant pets.

My brother had a couple of rats. The first time we visited after he got the first one, my dad was handling it, and got a hand covered in rat piss... Needless to say, it was popular with me!

Unfortunately, one of his rats came to a "sticky end" under the sofa. :down: