aberdeen-music

Are concerts getting too expensive?

Lemonade

Who in their right mind would seriously pay 625 to see Barbra Streisand?!

That's just taking the biscuit.

But I think up to 100 is almost acceptable. It could be compared with a band only playing London... and if you're desperate to see them you'd pay for travel and accommodation.

People will always pay so in the end nothing will change.

bands don't make huge amounts of money from record sales these days due to internet and such, so bands tour endlessly and venues end up charging extortionate amounts of money to see them as bands make up the dephicit of record sales loss on tours. i knew internet was a bad idea

So long as people will pay any fucking price to see a band they want to see live, why would they charge less?

I have to agree with you. It's worse if you're buying just one ticket because the postage can't be split.

e.g. 18.50 from Biffy at the SECC... + the 2.25 booking fee + 4.25 postage = 25!

One of those things we'll just have to deal with though. It's not going to change.

If you bought the tickets from secctickets.com you would only have been charged 1.25 p&p

It always pays to check the SECC website for tickets first as they don't rip you off with P&P and you can select to pick them up.

• Upvote 1

If you bought the tickets from secctickets.com you would only have been charged 1.25 p&p

It always pays to check the SECC website for tickets first as they don't rip you off with P&P and you can select to pick them up.

I didn't know that! Thanks.

I think I just always go to Ticketmaster because it's a case of click click click as my details are stored. Just for easiness.

The gigs you're talking about are run by huge companies, not DIY promoters or anything. People are paying these prices so they continue to charge them, it's all your fault! It all really comes down to how much you think it's worth really, seeing Tom Waits for 100 might be more than worth it for some, a rip-off for others.

On the other hand of the spectrum though, it seems that small/local gigs haven't really increased in price that much, if at all, certainly not moving with inflation. They've been around the 3-5 range for as long as I can remember.

this is very true, but i suppose bands dont really want to attract only theyre die hard fans when they go on tour, coz i suppose only the really big fans would be willing to pay beyond the 100+ mark, thats why moshulu and club etc gigs are probably so good, coz its only 20 at the very most to see a band u only like a few songs of, and i dont think iv ever seen a moshulu gig for even that much. as for smaller diy gigs, the most id expect to pay there would be 8 tops and i dont think iv ever payed that much either.

so in conclusion, huge franchise companies are assholes.

- Acts that generally charge around 100 don't really have to worry about their fanbase, being that they're normally at the peak of their popularity (or on the way down...) - the aforementioned Tom Waits, Neil Young et al. They can do what the fuck they want, basically.

- Surely if you'll pay 20 for an act you "only like a few songs of," you'll shell out 40/50/even more for a band you REALLY like, without complaining?

- Where do you get the 8 figure from?

- huge franchise companies? We're not talking about McDonalds here! I'm pretty sure promoters aren't franchises. Really sure.

I've not followed this thread fully, but I'll wade in with:

"and how many lp's have you moaners downloaded for free recently?"

Is it not the case that bands are discovering that touring is a fairly easy way to make money, instead of relying on cd sales now...even if it is slim margins, no one can "virtually" attend a gig for free, now can they?

I'd only go to a +20 gig if it was really special, and +100 for tom waits is fine by me!

get thee to the tunnels or what have you to see some ace bands, put on by Interesting Music, Dizzy Storm etc for very reasonable prices....or are we only talking about "famous" bandzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

fudge have been charging three quid a gig for 9 years. the price certainly hasn't gone up in line with inflation, coz frankly i couldn't be bothered with the hastle. everyone would just complain. constantly.

(actually, plenty folk complain about paying three quid. for four bands. *WTF?*)

i think i always mentally compere gig ticket prices with football match prices... somehow it seems worse to pay 20 to see Aberdeen FC play every week than it does to attend a decent gig by a "name" band you like at around the same price......

For what it's worth, it seems to me that the increase has been down to fans paying crazy sums for tickets on ebay. Surely acts/promoters have got fed up seeing gigs instantly selling out, then tickets going for 3/4 times face value. They'll have just thought to themselves "If people are willing to pay that much, lets just charge it ourselves, cut out the touts' profits."

I find the ticket price for some gigs, particualrly the bigger gigs to be unreasonably expensive. Some of the medium sized gigs seem to be catching up also.

I also don't like the really big gigs as they tend to be unpleasant, people stand far too close together, push to front, throw stuff around, push people to be 'rock n roll' and generally are not very enjoyable from my experience. At least not the indoor ones.

The more established bands tend to have higher ticket prices as they can get away with it. The newer bands want to attract new fans so ticket price reflects this.

Personally I would like there to be more gigs, people to attend more gigs and the prices to be lower to encourage this. If live music is in fashion, this is good for bands of all styles.

• Upvote 1

Personally I would like there to be more gigs, people to attend more gigs and the prices to be lower to encourage this. If live music is in fashion, this is good for bands of all styles.

It's good? How? Think about how much goes into a performance by a huge act - and you want them to double the amount of performances for the same pay? Come on...who's going to sign up for twice the work for the same pay?

It's good? How? Think about how much goes into a performance by a huge act - and you want them to double the amount of performances for the same pay? Come on...who's going to sign up for twice the work for the same pay?

bands who love playing, and not just some idiots who play music to make money.

• Upvote 1

bands who love playing, and not just some idiots who play music to make money.

Certainly, because putting twice as much effort in for the same amount of money is something that all music lovers do, when offered the opportunity.

Would artists at the very top of the tree even be capable of doubling their performances without a reduction of quality? Doubt it...

Personally, I'd rather pay twice the price and see a performer at his very finest than watch a tired out performance from a band who are having to play twice as much to make the same amount of money.

Where does he say that people should be doubling the amount of performances they play? He just said more gigs in general, with more people going to them.

• Upvote 1

Certainly, because putting twice as much effort in for the same amount of money is something that all music lovers do.

Would artists at the very top of the tree even be capable of doubling their performances without a reduction of quality? Doubt it...

what are you on about?

of course people play free gigs all the time, coldplay have played, and "sold out" numerous arenas in america for free.

so are you saying that musicians who love to play music shouldn't play 2 nights in a row because one night will be better than the other?

you are a moron, bands tour and a lot of the time, they play every night in another city. so they travel to a city, set up their set, instruments etc, play gig, pack down stuff, travel to next city and do it all again. If they were playing 2 nights in a row in the same venue, they generally wouldn't need to do that would they?

• Upvote 1