aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

Guest Young Adolesent

buying one of these on friday

download_zps154bc255.jpg

cant wait for it, its got even got a looper and a drum machine, the wah wah dosent just go up and down.... it goes left to right 

Edited by Young Adolesent

buying one of these on friday

cant wait for it, its got even got a looper and a drum machine, the wah wah dosent just go up and down.... it goes left to right 

Whats the chances of a post in the Equipment section on Saturday morning "brand new multifx for sale"......

• Upvote 5

Call me old fashioned but I prefer individual pedals.

From my experience I've found a stand alone effect pedal sounds better than a similar effect from a multi FX unit. This is all in my opinion of course.

Rearranging your signal chain and seeing what results you get is a pretty fun process and obviously you can't do this with a multi fx unit. I feel you have more control of the sounds you are creating with individual pedals as well. Sometimes I use an awful lot of pedals at once, something most multi fx units are unable to do. For instance, last night I was recording some Flights material and at one point I had a Phaser, Big muff, Flanger, digital delay, analog delay, tremolo and a looper all running at once whilst fiddling with the controls on them. 

• Upvote 1

I had a Boss Multi FX unit long ago. It was good at what it did, especially as I was a beginner at the time, but I didn't quite take to it once I started getting other pedals. I dunno how advanced the Zoom gizmo is, but the Boss one didn't give you much to tweak. You got some standard tones, and you could mix 2 or 3 together. It was alright. The fun with pedals is often pushing the boundaries a little, getting something a little OTT and blown out. Ridiculous delay that feeds back forever and whatnot, and as you say, different orders having differing results.

Besides, individual boxes look so much cooler. And there's a collector-ism factor in it. Building up your board, selling and trading. Knocking it all down and starting again. Good times.

The thing with pedal boards is that nobodies pedal board is ever complete. Nobody looks at it and goes "yep, that's everything I need. No more pedals". There's always something you want NEED

• Upvote 2

I think there's some merit to Multi FX's - if you're playing covers or a fairly generic sound then they're definitely a way to go - cheap, light, and usually as bunch of presets that will get you close enough to band x's tone. 

BUT - no one manufacturer does everything well so you're always compromising on at least one effect.

Which is why I buy all the pedals and spend hours changing the order of them. And why I have reverb and delay before as well as after my Overdrive and Distortion boxes.......

Guest Young Adolesent

Call me old fashioned but I prefer individual pedals.

From my experience I've found a stand alone effect pedal sounds better than a similar effect from a multi FX unit. This is all in my opinion of course.

Rearranging your signal chain and seeing what results you get is a pretty fun process and obviously you can't do this with a multi fx unit. I feel you have more control of the sounds you are creating with individual pedals as well. Sometimes I use an awful lot of pedals at once, something most multi fx units are unable to do. For instance, last night I was recording some Flights material and at one point I had a Phaser, Big muff, Flanger, digital delay, analog delay, tremolo and a looper all running at once whilst fiddling with the controls on them. 

i think if you have a good multi fx it does the job. on this i choose my effect i can mod it to what i like and save it, ive got everything i need on one thing, if i ever want extra pedals i can buy them and plug them into this one, i really cant afford single pedals and dont know much about them so i prefer multi fx, lighter cheaper and a ,lot less hastle its also a usb interface so i can use it for recording, i dont gig much either so it would be for home use or recording i just need the expression pedal phaser looper and drum machine for some acoustic work. i can also run vocals through it i believe which is brilliant

look it up here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYia--FOnBw

I had a Boss Multi FX unit long ago. It was good at what it did, especially as I was a beginner at the time, but I didn't quite take to it once I started getting other pedals. I dunno how advanced the Zoom gizmo is, but the Boss one didn't give you much to tweak. You got some standard tones, and you could mix 2 or 3 together. It was alright. The fun with pedals is often pushing the boundaries a little, getting something a little OTT and blown out. Ridiculous delay that feeds back forever and whatnot, and as you say, different orders having differing results.

Besides, individual boxes look so much cooler. And there's a collector-ism factor in it. Building up your board, selling and trading. Knocking it all down and starting again. Good times.

The thing with pedal boards is that nobodies pedal board is ever complete. Nobody looks at it and goes "yep, that's everything I need. No more pedals". There's always something you want NEED

i get what you meen about tweaking but at this stage the zoom is all i need, i can tweak every effect i use and its even got a tube booster in it. indivisual pedals look a lot better but they are WAY too expensive for my liking the zoom is all i want in a pedal it will be fun to play around with looping through vocal and guitar maybe even some other instruments then i love the expression pedal on it, after this im saving up for another decent acoustic i've got three options robkevertsons tanglewood tw55 f4ce, or epiphone ej200 ce or a vintage v1700 jumbo 12 string. then im planning on buying a roland synth the gr55 maybe seems a lot of fun but im fine with electrics. i rarely use my telecaster

Guest Young Adolesent

I think there's some merit to Multi FX's - if you're playing covers or a fairly generic sound then they're definitely a way to go - cheap, light, and usually as bunch of presets that will get you close enough to band x's tone. 

BUT - no one manufacturer does everything well so you're always compromising on at least one effect.

Which is why I buy all the pedals and spend hours changing the order of them. And why I have reverb and delay before as well as after my Overdrive and Distortion boxes.......

couldnt agree more. i guess ill have to see when i get this multi fx

About 10 years ago I had the holy grail of tone, the Berhinger V-Amp. It had all the effects and even had an expression pedal made out of the toughest substance known to man. Cheap plastic. You could use a mind boggling two effects at once. One overdrive/distortion and one modulation effect. Not two overdrives or two modulations one of each. It kinda let me hear what kinda racket I could make but I always found myself wanting more. 

Guest Young Adolesent

About 10 years ago I had the holy grail of tone, the Berhinger V-Amp. It had all the effects and even had an expression pedal made out of the toughest substance known to man. Cheap plastic. You could use a mind boggling two effects at once. One overdrive/distortion and one modulation effect. Not two overdrives or two modulations one of each. It kinda let me hear what kinda racket I could make but I always found myself wanting more. 

thats the thing, ive got a berghringer fx100 sinlge pedal, whats the point in having a multi fx pedal when you can only use one at a time, with pedals you pay for what you get, berghringer make cheap basic effects for people on budgets i quite liked their acoustic simulator though might buy another, boss make more expensive pedals but yet sometimes theres better cheaper alternatives, ive used a biyang reverb and a boss reverb in all honesty i loved the biyang had great tone to it lovely pedal all round but then the boss compared to it was bollocks it was the rv-5 i tried digital reverb. single pedals are too much effort for me. p.s if anyone has a biyang reverb please let me know i want another

No one here use rack multi fx's? Obviously I'd love an axe fx to use for its effects (which are amazing!) but considering a Digitech GSP1101 instead. My friend has one and some really nice modulation effects on it. You can also load cab sims to it too and use it for recording which I like the idea of, or of course you can use it live straight to PA.

Oh, I should be buying the Grunthell tomorrow. Here's hoping it really does grunt like hell.

Guest Young Adolesent

No one here use rack multi fx's? Obviously I'd love an axe fx to use for its effects (which are amazing!) but considering a Digitech GSP1101 instead. My friend has one and some really nice modulation effects on it. You can also load cab sims to it too and use it for recording which I like the idea of, or of course you can use it live straight to PA.

Oh, I should be buying the Grunthell tomorrow. Here's hoping it really does grunt like hell.

i know a guy who does but he only uses them for delay and reverb since his main rack is a zoom of some sort loaded with charlie halls echoes of the past sounds lovely, his other rack is the same zoom but just standard and a rack tuner and a wireless system  through his limited edition marshall and his custom shop fender, hes got expensive taste

I use a multi effects pedal 

ax30002.jpg

Basically because I can't fund the effects pedal GAS bug that most people get, I confined my self to using this.

It's good for what I use it for, there are two mode that you can run this thing in. PRESET mode is similar to what colin mentioned; save different banks for individual songs/tones. I use the PEDALBOARD mode without the any speaker emulation running or amp modelling in my effects loop, this allows me to use the modulation/delay effects independently and the on-board tuner. The down side it I'm stuck to the sounds in this box,. I can't play about with pedal placement in my signal chain, it's limiting. I am a believer the less things to mess about with the better, my signal chain is simple I can pin point faults straight away, downside is, it the whole unit fails I'm fucked, If one pedal in a pedal board it can be bypassed/swapped out/replaced. 

I'm curious to get a pedal board going soon though, start small. 

to compliment my wah I would be looking to get, a nice delay perhaps a MXR carbon copy, an octave pedal and a ds-1