aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

Looks mega. What do all them nozzles do?

All the twizzly ones are for volume - the one closest to the neck is a master and the other two are minions. The clicky one nearest the neck is a 3 way pickup selector and the other is a 3 way tone toggle. Works really well for quickly selecting a syrupy fuzz-tone when venturing up the forbidden end of the neck, then snapping back to full-treble for fuzz Armaggedon on the low end.

My mates dad was clearing out stuff so he can move house, got a hoard of weird shit.

285326_10151312092399480_1232866594_n.jp

The jazz acoustic, is it playable/are you looking to get rid of? - you mentioned a lot of the guitar being left to rot.

Just being nosey really! But I like the guitar!

PS I think your inbox is full         

The jazz acoustic, is it playable/are you looking to get rid of? - you mentioned a lot of the guitar being left to rot.

Just being nosey really! But I like the guitar!

PS I think your inbox is full         

Thanks for the heads up, cleared my inbox, no new messages received yet....

the jazz guitar is in a sorry state to be honest, it never came with a bridge so trying to determine whether the rest of the guitar is ok is difficult.

would be good if someone had the time and skills to get this thing in working order.

Guest Young Adolesent

guitars; Vintage VH51FR van halen copy,  stagg goldtop with alchamest p90's,   fender t bucket 300ce,  Guvnor GA300NL

(all my decent electrics were traded :'( )

amps; carlsbro 90 lead from 70's i belive amazing amp,  i use a speaker system my mate built 400watt really clear sounding running it through some shity karaoke audio amplifier lol, and a H/H super sixty

pedals; i have none 

keyboards; got an old technics ax7 

guitars; Vintage VH51FR van halen copy,  stagg goldtop with alchamest p90's,   fender t bucket 300ce,  Guvnor GA300NL

(all my decent electrics were traded :'( )

amps; carlsbro 90 lead from 70's i belive amazing amp,  i use a speaker system my mate built 400watt really clear sounding running it through some shity karaoke audio amplifier lol, and a H/H super sixty

pedals; i have none 

keyboards; got an old technics ax7 

Without pics, you're making it all up ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Some new bits and pieces.  Been buying parts for a Strat build over the last year, and just finished it last week.  Jan and Matt (neepheid) were kind enough to put it together for me, I was too scared!! Matt's reet guid with a dremel though (neck pocket was a little tight), plays beautifully and I think looks great.  MJT custom finished swamp-ash body in surf green, nitrocellulose finish and nice and lightweight.  Japanese Squier neck; this was on my old Strat and I was keen to keep it.  Blue, silver and red Lace Sensor pick ups.

IMG_1387_zpsb783dbb8.jpg

IMG_1388_zps82b81f02.jpg

IMG_1389_zpsaffa58f9.jpg

And treated myself to a Kurt Cobain Mustang with my work bonus.  Really delighted with the build quality (made in Japan) and love the stripe.  The bucker is probably going to have to go, as it's not really my thing, looking to get another single coil, or perhaps a P90.  Neck plate has a Fender doodle found in one of Kurt's journals.

IMG_1390_zps50a55c4c.jpg

IMG_1392_zps4f9d70ad.jpg

• Upvote 4

Some new bits and pieces.  Been buying parts for a Strat build over the last year, and just finished it last week.  Jan and Matt (neepheid) were kind enough to put it together for me, I was too scared!! Matt's reet guid with a dremel though (neck pocket was a little tight), plays beautifully and I think looks great.  MJT custom finished swamp-ash body in surf green, nitrocellulose finish and nice and lightweight.  Japanese Squier neck; this was on my old Strat and I was keen to keep it.  Blue, silver and red Lace Sensor pick ups.

IMG_1387_zpsb783dbb8.jpg

IMG_1388_zps82b81f02.jpg

IMG_1389_zpsaffa58f9.jpg

And treated myself to a Kurt Cobain Mustang with my work bonus.  Really delighted with the build quality (made in Japan) and love the stripe.  The bucker is probably going to have to go, as it's not really my thing, looking to get another single coil, or perhaps a P90.  Neck plate has a Fender doodle found in one of Kurt's journals.

IMG_1390_zps50a55c4c.jpg

IMG_1392_zps4f9d70ad.jpg

where did you source the neck from?

I've always been keen to build a partscaster but always worried it would have the feel of a westfield strat.

did it take lots of tweaking to suit your playing style of did it play spot on straight away?

I'd bee keen to ad some chunky switches where your tone pots would be for some phunky phase switching 

Edited by fatboy

The neck was on the last partscaster I played which was composed of a Fender Japan body and a Squier Japan neck.  Jan preferred the Fender neck but liked the body on the Squier, and I preferred the exact opposite, so we switched the body and neck.  I kept the neck for this build, as I really liked it.  You get what you pay for really. The body was expensive and took a long time to be finished, but was definitely worth it.  I got the trem for my birthday this year, it's Fender.  The action took a bit of adjusting, but that was about it.  It plays much the same as my last guitar as I've kept the neck, but I'm much happier with the body which is a lot lighter and I love the finish.  Because it's the same neck, it's basically like having a new old guitar, so it suited my playing style right away.  I guess it'll only play like a Westfield if you put a Westfield neck on it, or use cheaper parts.

Edited by girl anachronism

The neck was on the last partscaster I played which was composed of a Fender Japan body and a Squier Japan neck.  Jan preferred the Fender neck but liked the body on the Squier, and I preferred the exact opposite, so we switched the body and neck.  I kept the neck for this build, as I really liked it.  You get what you pay for really. The body was expensive and took a long time to be finished, but was definitely worth it.  I got the trem for my birthday this year, it's Fender.  The action took a bit of adjusting, but that was about it.  It plays much the same as my last guitar as I've kept the neck, but I'm much happier with the body which is a lot lighter and I love the finish.  Because it's the same neck, it's basically like having a new old guitar, so it suited my playing style right away.  I guess it'll only play like a Westfield if you put a Westfield neck on it, or use cheaper parts.

The body on the strat looks bloody lovely! I'm a sucker for surf green strats. Out of intrest how was the process with MJT? The end result looks incredible but import tax, dealing with people on the other side of the world and not being to actually see it before you get it kinda puts me off using them.

I've caught mod fever again. I think I'm going to spend a lot of time in my shed this summer...

The body on the strat looks bloody lovely! I'm a sucker for surf green strats. Out of intrest how was the process with MJT? The end result looks incredible but import tax, dealing with people on the other side of the world and not being to actually see it before you get it kinda puts me off using them.

I've caught mod fever again. I think I'm going to spend a lot of time in my shed this summer...

I couldn't recommend MJT highly enough, they also made Jan's Jazzmaster kit. 

They're a small family-run business and it does take a while, but both Matt and Mark Jenny were great to deal with.  They're transparent with figures right from the start, including postage,  use really good quality parts and they finish to a high standard.   There's a lot of examples of previous work on their website, but they'll consider most requests.  They're really thorough when it comes to details such as neck size and cut, what sort of bridge you'll be using etc to make sure that the body's correctly routed and drilled (the neck pocket on mine did fit, but it was pretty tight and I was a little scared of it, so called in others for help!).  There's a huge list of options, aging and relicing aren't for everyone so they have closet clean finishes too.  You choose where you want any aging, the grade of aging the sort of finish you want, the colour and wood.  They do necks too.  I didn't need one on this occasion because I already had one I really liked, but Jan got one and it's every bit as good as the neck on any of his Fenders. 

They stayed in touch all the way through the process and emailed pictures as they went along so I could see how it was coming together and so I could let them know about any changes I wanted made.  When I was happy with it they mailed it. 

http://mjtagedfinishes.com/index.htm

Also, FAO Bigsby- I was trying to message you, but it would appear your inbox is full.

Edited by girl anachronism
  • Upvote 1

I couldn't recommend MJT highly enough, they also made Jan's Jazzmaster kit. 

They're a small family-run business and it does take a while, but both Matt and Mark Jenny were great to deal with.  They're transparent with figures right from the start, including postage,  use really good quality parts and they finish to a high standard.   There's a lot of examples of previous work on their website, but they'll consider most requests.  They're really thorough when it comes to details such as neck size and cut, what sort of bridge you'll be using etc to make sure that the body's correctly routed and drilled (the neck pocket on mine did fit, but it was pretty tight and I was a little scared of it, so called in others for help!).  There's a huge list of options, aging and relicing aren't for everyone so they have closet clean finishes too.  You choose where you want any aging, the grade of aging the sort of finish you want, the colour and wood.  They do necks too.  I didn't need one on this occasion because I already had one I really liked, but Jan got one and it's every bit as good as the neck on any of his Fenders. 

They stayed in touch all the way through the process and emailed pictures as they went along so I could see how it was coming together and so I could let them know about any changes I wanted made.  When I was happy with it they mailed it. 

http://mjtagedfinishes.com/index.htm

Also, FAO Bigsby- I was trying to message you, but it would appear your inbox is full.

Thanks for the reply, guess my bank balance is going to take a bit of a hit in the next wee while. Their necks are actually quite reasonable considering they are custom made and come with aged hardware. The MJT website should have really been marked NSFW though as I've wasted a good hour drooling over guitars!

Guest Young Adolesent

finally uploading photos

2013-04-17174431_zps9ff7433d.jpg

2001 Chinese squier strat upgraded with tonerider pure vintage pups next is a stagg les paul upgraded with alchamest p90's

2013-04-17174441_zps805749b9.jpg

line 6 spider 2 small amp but it does good below is a carlsbro 90 lead it doesnt work but i cant be arsed bending down every time to change the settings on the line six so for now its a stand

2013-04-17174750_zpsd219cc40.jpg

my vintage van halen copy (got it free from my neighbour) love it to bits but hate the floyd rose

2013-04-17174509_zpsc2c07799.jpg

my pedals are simply shit just now ive got a daphon volume pedal berghringer acoustic moddler chord distortion and a berghringer flanger 

2013-04-17174616_zps78575c7f.jpg

my fender t bucket 300ce first decent guitar i owned would never have the heart to throw it out

2013-03-31213956_zps8c0875da.jpg

my keyboard for sale (for sale)  technics ax7 its not a expensive keyboard but it meens well

2013-03-31214035_zpsc405a4fe.jpg

last but not least the speakers i use to run vocals and i run keyboard through it sounds nice (these are also for sale) this is my little studio not bad for my age eh?  bit messy taken on the day i got it all working but its tidy now changed around a bit too