aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

I'm disappointed because the collared, two tone one we had a few years ago was brilliant but it's been a downward spiral since.

Don't think we really get a great deal with this prosport thing to be honest.

That was the last one I bought, that was an ACE strip. Though I ended up giving it away.

Doesn't Maguire just look like a total little ned? He's the kind of wee bastard you'd expect to see wearing a tracksuit tucked into his socks and a gold chain, drinking outside a shopping centre in Glasgow.

• Upvote 1

no i;ve never seen him play before, i am so wrong.

seriously though, I've never been wholly impressed with him or nani. I don't know why, but neither of them float my boat as players. yes he may be only be 21, but thats not much different from messi, rooney, and they are far more effective players - possibly an unfair comparison with these 2, as they are truly gifted players. he may well have been played in the wrong position, but thats just my opinion.

fletcher was sorely missed last night, and man utd's midfield rendered pretty much ineffective by some great possession football. ronaldo was a huge diappointment.

Nani, I agree with. Infuriating player. The lad can shoot as well as anyone in the United squad just about, and every one of his goals has been incredible (albeit only about 4 or 5) but he gets into great crossing positions and instead of delivering, he keeps twisting and turning, trying to cut inside, and then back and thus worsening his position, delivering to a defence which has had a few extra valuable seconds to regroup. He has the ability to be great, but he needs to mature his decision making. Right now, he's just not up to the level.

Anderson is superb though. He had a patchy season last season, but this year he's been fantastic. Last night he made one mistake, where he swung for the ball and missed it. It was a very fast pitch, but a mistake non the less. Apart from that, he was pinging between the two penalty areas, winning the ball, out muscling bigger players than him and creating space, only for Ronaldo to try and prove some kind of point; failing miserably. He plays alot like Iniesta, being able to shift the ball accurately in pressurising situations, and just having an enormous midfield presence. UNited just don't have enough players like him for it to work effectively as a team.

No one in a United shirt was any good last night because they were just outplayed and were made to look silly, so judging him on that is a bit unfair. Look back at the second leg against Porto as a leading example. He was brilliant and has been in nearly every game he's played this year.

i agree, anderson will go on to become one of the best midfielf players in the world in the next two seasons i think he has all the right attributes, he just needs fergie to mature him a bit more and develope his defensive side a bit better. As was said tho this guy hadnt really played centre mid before man utd, mostly wing back and winger for brazil and if he was in the centre he played as a "meias" so the role he has at man utd has been very different.

I think for Owen Coyle Celtic might not be a bad move. He could stay with Burnley, get relegated and lose his job all in a year. If he goes to Celtic, a few good seasons and he'll be in with a good shout of moving to a good premiership club.

I would like to see him in the Premiership next season though.

i agree, anderson will go on to become one of the best midfielf players in the world in the next two seasons i think he has all the right attributes, he just needs fergie to mature him a bit more and develope his defensive side a bit better. As was said tho this guy hadnt really played centre mid before man utd, mostly wing back and winger for brazil and if he was in the centre he played as a "meias" so the role he has at man utd has been very different.

You reckon? I think his defensive side of the game is amazing. I love the way he barges in from behind and takes the ball with very minimal contact. Just putting his body between player and ball. I think if anything, the kid needs to learn how to shoot. He's a very selfless player, offloading the ball when he has a chance to shoot himself, but his rare attempts on goal have been complete banana shots most of the time. He's very composed infront of goal when it just needs sliding past the keeper, but his base-position isn't going to have him in situations like that too often.

He wasn't great at all last night, but he's been mostly utilised against inferior teams and in the Carling Cup and often coming off as a substitute, so he's struggled to find any kind of momentum. I think next season, he'll really come alive if Ferguson tones down the rotation a bit and cements a reliable midfield.

You read that blog on the BBC.co.uk/football page as well :up:

Horrible tie for the Jags though! Full draw:

NORTH/EAST DRAW

Ross County v- Alloa Athletic

Peterhead v- Cowdenbeath

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v- Montrose

East Fife v- Forfar Athletic

Elgin City v- Brechin City

Stirling Albion v- Raith Rovers

Dunfermline Athletic v- Arbroath

BYE: Dundee

SOUTH/WEST DRAW