aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

He's still obviously saying he'd prefer to play for England, and we're a reliabe second-best, I just don't think a player like that should be allowed to play for Scotland. He clearly doesn't even think of himself as Scottish.

Anyway this guy plays for Petersborough in League One, is he really any better than the players we have?

do you honestly think any player in that situation would choose scotland over england? Sulivan and them would have easily played for england first and us second however they were not good enough to get into the england team so they chose second best, same as this boy. Petersbourgh are in the championship now and he was in the running for league two player of the year and was petersbourgh player of the year, he is a fine talent, maybe a slightly late developing player but still very very good. The fact they are saying a few prem clubs are getting ready with 5million bids for him says enough to me.

Plus he is loved my two Fergusons!!!

Then I would rather have another Championship or SPL standard player who actually is Scottish and feels Scottish in the team. The SPL is full of guys who can't get a game for Scotland, I would rather see 11 Scots getting beat in every match than have a team of "bloodline Scots" being succesful. Any day of the week.

do you honestly think any player in that situation would choose scotland over england? Sulivan and them would have easily played for england first and us second however they were not good enough to get into the england team so they chose second best, same as this boy. Petersbourgh are in the championship now and he was in the running for league two player of the year and was petersbourgh player of the year, he is a fine talent, maybe a slightly late developing player but still very very good. The fact they are saying a few prem clubs are getting ready with 5million bids for him says enough to me.

Plus he is loved my two Fergusons!!!

That's just tabloid talk, made up stories about the latest hot topic to sell more papers. Quotes from "a source at the club" etc. I'll believe it when I see it... No doubt he'll be linked with Rangers and Celtic in the Scottish gutter press as well. The majority of Scottish tabloid readers are Celtic and Rangers fans, so the tabloids make up stories linking players with Celtic and Rangers, and thus the fans buy the papers... seemples.

That's just tabloid talk, made up stories about the latest hot topic to sell more papers. Quotes from "a source at the club" etc. I'll believe it when I see it... No doubt he'll be linked with Rangers and Celtic in the Scottish gutter press as well. The majority of Scottish tabloid readers are Celtic and Rangers fans, so the tabloids make up stories linking players with Celtic and Rangers, and thus the fans buy the papers... seemples.

yes a story about a petersbourgh player moving to blackburn or fulham really sells those papers.....

most likely the sun as its the only paper we get at work, i also heard it on skysports news the day they got promoted, there was also an interview with Fergie about his sons achievements and he was talking about how good a player Boyd was, and how his son had pulled off a great stroke managing to keep him and that he thought he would prob end up having to fight off bids from prem clubs in the summer.

Well when it happens I'll be the first in line to eat humble pie, but so far I've heard "The Sun", which is a source of non-information, Sky Sports News, which were probably reporting it because it was in the Sun, an interview with Fergie saying "he'll probably have to fight off bids from the Premiership" which is not evidence that anyone is interested in him, and "he's been linked with Rangers and Celtic" - where? In the papers?

Anyway, I'm getting off topic, I never said anywhere that he isn't a good player, I've never even seen him play, I just said that I don't think he should be playing for Scotland, regardless of how good he is.

I would also suggest that if he thinks there's a move to the Premiership on the horizon, he would probably see that as an opportunity to get into the England set-up. That's just speculation on my behalf, but if he's playing in the Prem and does well then he's in with a shout, so he wouldn't be saying things like "England seems a bit far fetched".

Well when it happens I'll be the first in line to eat humble pie, but so far I've heard "The Sun", which is a source of non-information, Sky Sports News, which were probably reporting it because it was in the Sun, an interview with Fergie saying "he'll probably have to fight off bids from the Premiership" which is not evidence that anyone is interested in him, and "he's been linked with Rangers and Celtic" - where? In the papers?

Anyway, I'm getting off topic, I never said anywhere that he isn't a good player, I've never even seen him play, I just said that I don't think he should be playing for Scotland, regardless of how good he is.

I would also suggest that if he thinks there's a move to the Premiership on the horizon, he would probably see that as an opportunity to get into the England set-up. That's just speculation on my behalf, but if he's playing in the Prem and does well then he's in with a shout, so he wouldn't be saying things like "England seems a bit far fetched".

You did question if he was any better than what we have at the moment. Dont discount something just because its in the sun and im sure sky sports have more sources than just what the scottish sun says.

Just playing in the prem league doesnt mean you will get near the national team, look how many english strikers there are in the prem who never get near the national team. At the moment he is a league two player away to play in the championship so his statement is warrented, the last player to get into the england team from outside the top division was Nugent and he only got the one game ane the one before that god knows, kinda proves its basically impossible to get a game for the english national team unless you play for a prem league team or a top team in another country.

that was beautiful, nothing better than seeing a boring english team shafted out of a final like that. Barca were by far the better of the two footballing teams over the two legs and im delighted that chealski's boring flat back 10 didnt get them into another final. Although saying all of that they did get a raw deal with the ref. Still serves them right for hardly attacking over the two legs.

Best part was hearing everyone cry on skysports news after, claiming all this pish about fifa being against english football and how there was a consipricy to stop there being two english teams in the final for the second year in a row. Actually no, the best part was seeing a picture of Cashley Coles face just after barca scored, carlsberg dont do pictures but if they did..........

I am very glad Barca won, because I didn't want some kind of International FA Cup final, nor a repeat of last years CL final - But, were you watching the same game as everyone else last night? I agree that Chelsea sat back at the Nou Camp (Because you just can't play Barca at their own game, or you get turned over, like the El Classico) but they sure as hell didn't last night. Look how many times they had the ball infront of goal. Look at how many times they caught Barcalona out at the back, and pretty much should have scored, but didn't, because Drogba was having one of those days where he infuriates everyone but the fans of the other team. Regardless, they were still much much more of an attacking threat last night. Barca saw the lions share of posession, but what did they do with it? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Not even close to creating a chance in normal time, just like against Man Utd last season. They had one chance on goal for 97 minutes, and their goal wasn't even a clear cut chance (and more of a defensive error from the unlikliest of players) but was executed superbly because Iniesta is just sublime. The flat-back-10 comment in relation to last night is just way way wide of the mark, and they kept on attacking even with a slim 1-0 lead

I'm very pleased Barca are through and the utter disappointment of prize jebends like Drogba, Terry and Cole is muchly enjoyable, but to say Barca fully deserved to go through last night is just all kinds of wrong.

Barca will struggle in the final though. If Manyoo break, they are going to score everytime against a jigsaw of 3rd choice defenders due to suspensions.

I am very glad Barca won, because I didn't want some kind of International FA Cup final, nor a repeat of last years CL final - But, were you watching the same game as everyone else last night? I agree that Chelsea sat back at the Nou Camp (Because you just can't play Barca at their own game, or you get turned over, like the El Classico) but they sure as hell didn't last night. Look how many times they had the ball infront of goal. Look at how many times they caught Barcalona out at the back, and pretty much should have scored, but didn't, because Drogba was having one of those days where he infuriates everyone but the fans of the other team. Regardless, they were still much much more of an attacking threat last night. Barca saw the lions share of posession, but what did they do with it? Nothing, just like against Man Utd last season. They had one chance on goal for 97 minutes, and their goal wasn't even a clear cut chance but was executed superbly because Iniesta is just sublime. The flat-back-10 comment in relation to last night is just way way wide of the mark, and they kept on attacking even with a 1-0.

I'm very pleased Barca are through and the utter disappointment of prize jebends like Drogba, Terry and Cole is muchly enjoyable, but to say Barca fully deserved to go through last night is just all kinds of wrong.

Barca will struggle in the final though. If Manyoo break, they are going to score everytime against a jigsaw of 3rd choice defenders due to suspensions.

i see what your saying, but still for a home team i expected chelsea to press more, worst thing that happened to them was to score so early in the game. Your right tho barca barely did enough to get through due to their apparent lack of ideas on how to break chelsea down but really an away team having 70% possesion, kinda backs up my point a bit.

Still was good to see them get beat, glad we dont have to deal with liverpool or chelsea in the final, that would be too much to take this season.

True, but 70% or 30% possesion, it really is what you do with it and Barca rarely ever came close to threatening. Barca were out of their element though and it was evident. The Nou Camp playing surface is like a golf course, and Stamford Bridge must have felt like a phone box to them. Every cross Alves put in was blooning towards the corner flag. Every through ball was ridiculously over-hit because of the the shift in demision they are used to, but it also helped that Premier League defenses operate very differently to on the continent. La Liga defenders especially, they commit far too soon and get sucked out of their position. They really lack discipline, which is why the El Classico was such a goal fest. Cringeworthy defending, and I think that has really flattered Barca's attack this season. Whilst it still is one of the strongest in the world, they are going to have it tough against United's back four who won't shift out of position as easily.

At least we can all look forward to Drogba getting fined or suspended or banned from football for life. Fingers crossed. Unlucky for Hiddink though. He seems like a top man, and he's really got them playing in the past few months.

Iniesta though... What a man. Him and Essien are just exceptional. It was really a shame to see the latter make such a torrid mistake. Great goals all round though, and it will probably be a great final, instead of essential a PL game in another country.

true it is what you do with the ball that counts, but i guess at the end of the day the best team is in the final so we can both be happy about that. Your right about the defense's tho over in spain, they are shocking at times, chirst even Forlan can score for fun over there!! haha

Man utd will prob be too strong especially in the defense area, and as you say barca dont have a great defense.

Iniesta and Xavi for me are the most important players in barca, yes messi and co up front are all amazing players, but the two in midfield really make the team tick, they make it all look so easy and effortless, essien is different but still awesome, he must cover everyblade of grass every game you see him.

even Forlan can score for fun over there!! haha

Haha!

He's been impressive this season, but he flopped so hard at United. I think he would have been quite a mainstay if he'd have joined a midtable PL club. United had way too high standards for an unproven player. Idiots.

The final will be great. Barca are so so great with the ball but are due to be very weak defensively, and it's a final, so sitting back is going to do nothing. Hopefully Rafael will play instead of O'Shea and United will at least attempt to play them at their own game. They are probably the only team who could really have a go at doing so.

I'm very glad Dani Alves is out of the final. He is very good, but fucking hell, he is one of few players who rivals Drogba at taking the absolute-fucking-prick stakes.

Can't wait til the end of May. It just has to be good.

i think it will be a most enteraining final, really not sure which way it will go and it might even go to pens. kinda glad drogba and his ned mates aren't there if i was bothered about the champions (and 2nd, 3rd and 4th) league which i'm not!