aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Celtic were shite yesterday. Hartley and Crosas as a midfield pairing didn't work against Aberdeen, why would it work against Rangers? Unfortunately, McDonald didn't save us this time round.

Middlesbrough... if we lose against Newcastle then that really is it. I'd be totally devestated but the team's deserved nothing less. Shambolic, totally useless in front of goal, particularly. It's more frustrating because Boro have mostly been on the end of 1-0 defeats or 2-1s, or scrappy draws, which would've been won if the likes of Yakubu or Viduka were still around.

I really hope Middlesborough go down. Southgate has been punching above his weight and I'm glad he's finally been caught out, the smug cunt.

"Smug cunt"?

Really? I think he's actually one of the few managers in the league that seems like a decent bloke. Just a shame he's a totally shite manager...

It's a shame Boro find themselves in this mess; a decent club with a great chairman, but obviously I hope we kick their faces in tomorrow night. Somehow I think this one's got 0-0 written all over it, but I would absolutely love it if we managed to scrape a cheeky one-goal victory. After Boro we've got Fulham and Villa. Fulham I expect to dick all over us, but Villa seem to be pretty bloody useless themselves at the moment and their European place is already decided.

We'll see.

I would absolutely love it

keeganrant_450x300.jpg

I WILL LOVE IT IF WE BEAT THEM

(sorry, seemed appropriate)

Southgate's hardly a 'smug cunt', that's ridiculous! Not even biased, he's one of the only decent people in management, never gives excuses, puts his hands up when he's made mistakes or the team's played badly. I rate him as a person and if we avoid relegation now, I'll rate him very highly as a manager.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the consensus of Southgate praise. He (along with Zola) is my favourite PL manager. He takes responsibility on the chin and doesn't resort to blaming referees etc. Steve Bruce began his managerial career in a similar way, but has relinquished alot of dignity by jumping on the blame-game-gravy-train which is tiresome.

I love Zola. I love his personality and his optimism. Bored of seeing miserable, blank, boring managers in post-game interviews. He seems to be able to pick positives out of games, even if his side were trounced.

keeganrant_450x300.jpg

I WILL LOVE IT IF WE BEAT THEM

(sorry, seemed appropriate)

Southgate's hardly a 'smug cunt', that's ridiculous! Not even biased, he's one of the only decent people in management, never gives excuses, puts his hands up when he's made mistakes or the team's played badly. I rate him as a person and if we avoid relegation now, I'll rate him very highly as a manager.

Christ, I walked right into that one...

Looks like Martins is gonna be dropped and we're going with Viduka/Owen up front tonight. Not really sure how I feel about that, but at least it looks like Guthrie's back in the middle. He's about the only midfielder we have that knows how to recycle possession and bring the ball out of the middle of the park. If him and Jonas are starting we should have some much-needed drive from the middle of the park. Hopefully Stevie Taylor will be fit so we can put him in at CB and push Beye out to full-back to try and neutralise Downing. I'm just praying that Coloccini doesn't do his usual comedy act; the lad's being outplayed week-after-week by a bloke who cost us a grand total of 1.2m...

Heart says 1-0 us, head says 0-0.

No, no, no. Southgate is an idiot. Why on earth he thought he'd be suitable for Middlesborough, I do not know.

What annoyed me most about his attitude was when recently asked about relegation, he said inevitably the smaller people at the club would lose their jobs, somehow thinking he was invincible. One of the reasons the club are in a relegation battle is because he's a shite manager and he seems completely deluded.

Total knob.

I really really want to see Newcastle get relegated. Not because I have any strong feelings against them, I just love to kick people when they're down and see big teams getting fucked. The Newcastle score is the first one I look for on a Saturday afternoon these days.

Unfortunately, much as I'd love to see it I think they'll pick up 3 points tonight and end up scraping into 17th at the expense of Hull, who just can't even buy a point at the moment. Hull, Boro and WBA to go down.

No, no, no. Southgate is an idiot. Why on earth he thought he'd be suitable for Middlesborough, I do not know.

What annoyed me most about his attitude was when recently asked about relegation, he said inevitably the smaller people at the club would lose their jobs, somehow thinking he was invincible. One of the reasons the club are in a relegation battle is because he's a shite manager and he seems completely deluded.

Total knob.

Maybe he's confident on keeping his job because Steve Gibson is one of the most trusting chairmen in the country? He's stuck with Southgate through thick and thin, and I'd actually be quite surprised if they binned him for getting them relegated. Don't get me wrong, I don't rate him as a manager at all and maybe he should've been given the boot earlier, but just because he's a bit pish doesn't make him a dick.

I wish Gibson was our chairman, actually.

Friend of mine fancies going to the Aberdeen v. Hearts game this evening. As I haven't been to Pittodrie since we first moved here and my Dad took me on the weekends to get into the Merkland stand, will I be alright just getting tickets going in? I know week night games are generally quieter and all, but since it's one of those 'must win' games I thought I'd see.

Another Dutch dud checks in at Pittodrie....

Dons boss eyes Dutch defender | Scottish Premier League | Football News from TEAMtalk

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood has taken full-back Rene Bot, who is available on a free transfer, on trial from Dutch side De Graafschap.

The 30-year-old, who will train with the Dons squad until Friday, is out of contract at the end of the season.

He began his career with Feyenoord, but moved to De Graafschap in 1999, where he has been ever since.

Typical "Spirited comeback without quite the cutting edge to fully get back into the game after going down...." behaviour from United tonight, although we were excellent in the second half. Why did Levein start in a 4-5-1? If we'd gone 4-4-2 and taken it to them from the start we'd have had an excellent chance of winning the game. Oh well.

I'm really really growing to like Craig Levein as a manager. I think he's done a phenomenal job at United, creating an effective team with some classic wheeling and dealing in the bargain bins.

Enjoy him while you can, as I feel he could be a successful English Premiership manager very very soon. Or (hopefully) a fantastic Scotland manger in the next 5 years or so... :)

I'm starting to get a bit nervous about our game against Motherwell tomorrow. We haven't beaten them in about 6 games, but i've a funny feeling we'll be showing a lot more fight and bottle; what with Motherwell trying to keep their discipline record down in order to get into the backdoor for Europe. Really need Hamilton to pull a win out of the bag as well :(