aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

ROFL caust!

Del = looking forward to the play offs? Be prepared to have you nerves ripped to pieces......

yeah looking forward to them, we went through it all last year only to lose at wembley. i still think its on the cards we'll meet histon in the final!

I was predicting a Barca/Arsenal, but after Manyoo scored 5 goals in one half, and played with the quality they are actually capable of, it's a tough one to call. Arsenal are going to be without Arshavin though, and Van Persie from the first leg. Adebayor was terrible against Boro at the weekend too. It's just down to whether or not United actually turn up tomorrow for the full 90 minutes.

How minging was Barca/Chelsea last night? I think Hiddink was spot-on as far as tactics go, but playing a ten man defence does not make for pretty football. Oh, and Drogba is still a massive cunt.

Was at St. James' on Monday night. Those useless bastard players do not deserve half of the magnificent support that they get on matchday. They got wired-in for the first time in months, but Michael Owen missed ANOTHER total sitter and our lack of passing and movement up front was absolutely revolting.

We're probably going down and it's nothing less than what we deserve. Just hope JFK doesn't end up coming back...

Alves is a cuntcuntcunt. Everytime he went down with an "injury" and the faux-screaming, he'd back on his feet sprinting around as soon as Barca got the ball back. Obviously an attacking fullback who doesn't like tracking back. Oh, and fucking bellend. Its a shame a player of his ability had to ruin most parts of the game last night. I thought alot of the Barca players really stepped up the theatrics, which was disappointing after the constant praise they've recieved this season. I actually wanted them to win last night. I just hope there's a way they can win the second leg and Alves can get shot in the face.

I can't see Barca scoring too many at Stamford Bridge. They seem to be completely against crossing the ball in, and instead want to fanny about outside the box, waiting for that perfect through ball. How is that going to slip past Chelsea's flat back 10? It was like watching Rangers in Europe. Chelsea made the Premier League look like Sunday League. Shameful.

I like Chelsea, but no one really wants an all English final. It'll just be like an FA Cup final in another country.

last night backed up my point about the prem league as far as i was concerned, you had barca trying their very best to play football and as you say you had chelsea playing a flat back 10 hoping they would get a break, this is ment to be one of the top teams in the world yet the only attacking they did was when barca made a pigs ear of it.

I would imagine the return game will be exactly the same, chelsea will sit and sit and sit and sit and then punt it long to drogba.

Only caught the last 25 mins or so of last nights game at work, looked pretty mince.

Some cracking commentary bias, Ballack jumps up after writhing around on the ground as soon as Barca are on the attack and he 'bravely battled on', Barcelona player (can't remember who now) does the same thing 5 mins later and it's 'typical theatrics'.

Words cannot express how much I'm looking forward to having a pint and watching the game tonight after heaps of missed games due to work/uni/work (unless Arsenal win, in which case I'm never watching football again).

2-1 Man Utd though.

last night backed up my point about the prem league as far as i was concerned, you had barca trying their very best to play football and as you say you had chelsea playing a flat back 10 hoping they would get a break, this is ment to be one of the top teams in the world yet the only attacking they did was when barca made a pigs ear of it.

I would imagine the return game will be exactly the same, chelsea will sit and sit and sit and sit and then punt it long to drogba.

The thing is though, and whilst I agree with you mostly, Chelsea still stopped Barca from playing their best football, and even when Chelsea didn't have everyone behind the ball, Barca were still unable to penetrate as well as everyone expected. Barca, whilst looking dangerously confident with possession, they need to take a few more options on board as waiting for a throughball to come is a risky tactic. English sides employ a much tighter offside trap that La Liga defenses it seems. They really just need to stop fannying about around the box and cross it in. Henry is lanky and Eto'o can leap. Cech gets rattled by crosses these days and Chelsea don't have height in abundence in the back four. Knock it in! If it's punched away, there's plenty of folk in the midfield who can welly it!

The Stamford Bridge playing surface is much narrower than the Nou Camp, and that could possibly affect Barca's playing style of knocking it from flank to flank across the face of the penalty box, and the overlapping of the wingers and fullbacks. Because of this, I don't see Chelsea sitting back. Hiddink was very defensively minded last night, but I don't think he'll do that again. It could well be a shitty game, but a flukey goal and a 1-0 win for Chelsea seems very possible. Alot like last year at Old Trafford. Ginger scored a belter, and an unfit Messi tried his best at getting through the team bus.

It seems to happen in Europe though. Playing styles cancelling each other out. Bayner Munich's back four committed themselves far too easily and far too early in the first leg. Premier League sides just don't seem to do that, and Barca really thrive on it.