aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Surely the piss artists of the '70s were worse? They actually had talent to waste.

i always find it amusing when you see old footage of dressing rooms from the 60's and 70's and most of the players are having a post match fag!

Serves the stupid little shithawks right. McGregor's nothing more than an average goalkeeper at best and our midfield will be infinitely more dynamic without Barry the Crab clogging things up. I'm very glad that the SFA have shown some backbone and stood up to these overpaid wastes of oxygen.

Braindead Rangers players aside, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Newcastle/Chelsea game with way more optimism than I should. Drogba's out which should hopefully stop Coloccini from his usual "oops lol" moment against strong opponents and the atmosphere should be absolutely electrifying. I fancy a draw. One all. Maybe Little Michael will remember how to play football and knock in a cheeky equaliser now that his old pal's in charge...

teams with a new manager usually do well unless it newcastle! didnt it take keegan something like 9 games to get his first win second time around? and how many games before JFK got a victory? and did chris hughton actually win any games? (possibly west brom away i dunno).

teams with a new manager usually do well unless it newcastle! didnt it take keegan something like 9 games to get his first win second time around? and how many games before JFK got a victory? and did chris hughton actually win any games? (possibly west brom away i dunno).

The last decent run of form we had when a new manager came in was back when The Roedent took over, I believe. He took us up from something like 14th to 7th and into the UEFA... with Shearer as his assistant, I must add :up:.

I dunno. This goes against every single shred of logic I have as a football fan but I can't help but feel Alan's going to do a decent job. He's here for the club and not for himself, and that's the first time I've been able to say that about a Newcastle manager since Sir Bobby (I don't want to discount Keegan totally but given his sharp exit it's hard to tell what his motives were). Kinda glad he's got Dowie to help him out too; he came across very well in the press conference and will no doubt take away some of the more mundane tasks and they seem to have good chemistry.

To be honest, I don't know why I get excited about stuff like this anymore. With this club it's always a prelude to a fall.

Serves the stupid little shithawks right. McGregor's nothing more than an average goalkeeper at best and our midfield will be infinitely more dynamic without Barry the Crab clogging things up. I'm very glad that the SFA have shown some backbone and stood up to these overpaid wastes of oxygen.

You do realise both will be playing black and white stripes next season (if SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER keeps them up)?

i agree i dunno why but i think shearer might turn things around. he lives and breathes the club and the under performing over paid prima donnas might just react to his appointment...

however here's an interesting viewpoint of the whole shearer appointment lifted from the cambridge united messageboard (yep there was a thread about it on there!)...

"I hope he fails miserably - not because I dislike NUFC but because of his attitude to becoming a manager. He's just parked his arse on the MOTD sofa waiting for NUFC to come calling - knowing they would at some point. Alternatively he could have gone to a lower league club to start to learn his trade, with an escape clause allowing him to leave as soon as Ashley whistled. What a lazy b*stard."

i kinda like that viewpoint have to admit!

i agree i dunno why but i think shearer might turn things around. he lives and breathes the club and the under performing over paid prima donnas might just react to his appointment...

however here's an interesting viewpoint of the whole shearer appointment lifted from the cambridge united messageboard (yep there was a thread about it on there!)...

"I hope he fails miserably - not because I dislike NUFC but because of his attitude to becoming a manager. He's just parked his arse on the MOTD sofa waiting for NUFC to come calling - knowing they would at some point. Alternatively he could have gone to a lower league club to start to learn his trade, with an escape clause allowing him to leave as soon as Ashley whistled. What a lazy b*stard."

i kinda like that viewpoint have to admit!

Ha. It takes more than just a "lazy bastard" to even begin thinking about taking on this gargantuan mess of a club in the first place...

I'm not really sure I get the arguement, to be honest. I'm pretty certain that the only reason he wasn't approached when Keegan left was because he was very vocal with his criticism on the structure of the club, not because he was being lazy. I'm pretty certain it wasn't a coincidence that Dennis Wise was punted on the day Al was appointed (in fact I'd bet a sizeable wedge that some restructuring was a condition of him taking the job in the first place).

i think you have a fair point as well, maybe shearer feels the time is right and he has nothing to lose. i take it he's got his UEFA coaching badges? he always did say he wanted to go into management at some point. young managers who had a glittering playing career can work, i mean kenny dalglish was very successful as liverpool player/manager, then again john barnes was a complete disaster at celtic!

wise leaving deffo paved the way, i got the impression he was bad news around the club (never liked the little twat anyways). still be it'll be interesting to see how it pans out and good to see the whole newcastle circus rolling on and on and on....

tbh i think they were almost certainties to be relegated with hughton in charge, are him and calderwood still at the club?

Logic triumphed over romantic fandom for me today. 2-0. Coloccini is an absolute abomination. Seriously. How can a central defender who's played so many times for one of the finest national sides in the world consistantly play so god-fucking-awful? He's cost us at least 7 or 8 goals alone this season.

Nevermind. Bass should be back for the Stoke game next week which now becomes an absolute must-win. Means we can get Beye back to RB and have Bassong back in the middle. On recent form I'd be tempted to punt Colo for Stevie Taylor, but Tayls is such a liability at times. Guthrie needs to come into the middle as Nolan/Butt is far too static a combination.