aberdeen-music

EMO - Emotionaly charged DUMP!

Guest allsystemsfail
Originally posted by Alkaline:

What a waste of thread space.

Emo doesn't exist- it's a figment of record execs minds. Anyone remember grunge? That didn't exist either.

Get a collective life, let people listen to what they want to without reproach. You're all narrow minded.

Emo was not a term coined by a record exec, but was a quite valid and important punk/hardcore sub-genre - a community that did indeed exist. It became big news only when the mainstream music media leapt upon it, thinking it the next big thing.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest highroller

What a waste of thread space.

Emo doesn't exist- it's a figment of record execs minds. Anyone remember grunge? That didn't exist either.

Get a collective life, let people listen to what they want to without reproach. You're all narrow minded.

You are a god!!!

Ive always said that Grunge doesnt exist...it totally doesnt!!

I hate it when people say "yeah they were kinda grungy"....WHAT THE FUCK??

Alice and chains and nirvana....did they sound the same....nope...both called grunge...

so say Aberdeen exploded its bands onto the world scene....black atom and driveblind would get called the same thing.....??

Originally posted by allsystemsfail:

Emo was not a term coined by a record exec, but was a quite valid and important punk/hardcore sub-genre - a community that did indeed exist. It became big news only when the mainstream music media leapt upon it, thinking it the next big thing.

I think you could split hairs about all the sub genres of post- hardcore/punk/metalcore/hardcore/jazzcore forever. But the fact that it has now been coined to term any band these days- i mean Snow Patrol must be emo coz they are emotional rock? means that it has become invalid, like grunge.

Therefore i think you'll find it's a null and void genre, thus in genre terms it doesn't really exist.:down:

Guest allsystemsfail

I think you could split hairs about all the sub genres of post- hardcore/punk/metalcore/hardcore/jazzcore forever. But the fact that it has now been coined to term any band these days- i mean Snow Patrol must be emo coz they are emotional rock? means that it has become invalid, like grunge.

Therefore i think you'll find it's a null and void genre, thus in genre terms it doesn't really exist.:down:

A null and void genre? Emo was a part of a thriving DIY punk/hardcore community. I'm sorry, but this is fact. Folks here linking it with jazz and metal is simply nonsense. It sprang from the DC hardcore community.

Although i disagree on the emo thing i do agree on the grunge statement. I used to think of grunge as a genre but its rather stupid to me now. I mean just because your chord went down a semi tone and was rather slow and heavy meant you were grunge which is rather silly.

EDIT: One thing I hate about how people put emo as a genre is that emo is about the lyrics they maek which I think I disagree with as i class emo depending on their structure,scales used and riffs aswell as lyrics.

Genre's are hilarious.

I think we've been slotted into like 6 different genre's which I find highly amusing... all of which sound made up.

"Electro Punk" is that a genre?

Originally posted by allsystemsfail:

A null and void genre? Emo was a part of a thriving DIY punk/hardcore community. I'm sorry, but this is fact. Folks here linking it with jazz and metal is simply nonsense. It sprang from the DC hardcore community.

You give it up here with your own wording, use of the word "was" implies past tense- that's my point- it doesn't exist anymore. I'm not trying to take any thing away from the DIY punk/hardcore scene and their offshoots , i think you're misinterpreting my point. Can you truthfully say that everything tarred with the "emo" brush is indicative of the sound- the genre 'no longer' exists.

Guest allsystemsfail

You give it up here with your own wording, use of the word "was" implies past tense- that's my point- it doesn't exist anymore. I'm not trying to take any thing away from the DIY punk/hardcore scene and their offshoots , i think you're misinterpreting my point. Can you truthfully say that everything tarred with the "emo" brush is indicative of the sound- the genre 'no longer' exists.

Yes, it is true that the term (because of its misuse) is now meaningless. That said, this should not diminish the input of those outfits who were indeed emo.

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

It's not kids who are into metal that piss me off - naturally, being a total metaller myself - I think that's a good thing!

You dont' get awards for being "the most into metal"

I really do understand where non-metal lovers come from when they say how narrow-minded a lot of the metal kids are.

Yeah it sucks ass either way ah well all music aslong as the musicians are honest and the music comes from the heart then its got my respect.

Let the music do the talking and not the way they dress or who they are

I hate emo because its pretty much the best rock music thats available in this day and age. The image is quite frankly feminine, emphasising the lack of muscle in rock. hehe

Its just weak, plain and simple. To think that musicians in the past 'tried' to make good music.

Nowadays there is no thought, no passion, just over-polished product and nancy boys getting all the hoes!

However I think the tide is turning, I see the music industry as almost errupting into revolution which come about through peoples own boredom with lacklustre music and of course the internet that should hopefully kill off the 'industry' - The idea that it will be a lot harder to be succesful may inspire musicians to use their brains.

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

You are a god!!!

Ive always said that Grunge doesnt exist...it totally doesnt!!

I hate it when people say "yeah they were kinda grungy"....WHAT THE FUCK??

Alice and chains and nirvana....did they sound the same....nope...both called grunge...

so say Aberdeen exploded its bands onto the world scene....black atom and driveblind would get called the same thing.....??

That's a really good analogy. I like it.

• 3 months later...

"Oooh i like metal.....emo sucks"

"oooh i like emo.....metal sucks"

Man how many threads are going to go on like this??

If you dont like it fine, personaly i dont mind "new wave emo" (does that make more sense since people have a problem with TBS ect being called emo) i like some of the vocals and melodies. Also some of the guitar riffs FFAF are metal anyway but of course they cant be because then that would mean all these metal heads might like something about it. (fuck imagine that)

Get over it guys if you dont like it leave it.

who started the emo revolution? Emo music is so bad' date=' i want to start a campaign against emo! Its the worst genre ever. Bands like Funeral For A Friend and Finch are the worst bands on the planet, and how can people be inspired by this rubbish!! ARGGHHHHH :swearing:[/quote']

Yeah that pish really sucks

Guest allsystemsfail
is the word "emo" not a shortened version of the word "emocore" that was first used by jounalists to describe the style of the music comming out of washington d.c in the "revolution summer" as it was known of the mid 1980's?

EMOtion.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah that pish really sucks

My god, an attempt at constructive criticism (note no SARCASM).

True emo no longer exists, only emo influenced bands. The original emo scene took place around "revolution summer" through to Sunny Day Real Estate an Texas Is The Reason taking the emo structure and adding pop sensibilities. The so-called emo scene now is really post-hardcore, with the misconception that emo is about whining about girlfriends. Emo actually stood for more personal lyrics,combining political beliefs with matters that music fans on the scene could relate to, instead of the typical hardcore lyrical approach of "smashing peoples skulls for doing drugs" etc. Emo came along and brought a breath of fresh air to the hardcore scene, and paved away for some of the best hardcore/post-hardore bands ever Refused/At The Drive-In etc. If you don't like Emo/Screamo/Post-hardcore/xXx etc just listen to something else. And for the record, I don't just listen to emo/post-hardcore/hardcore, but this is the kind of music I generaly relate to.