aberdeen-music

EMO - Emotionaly charged DUMP!

Originally posted by thesultanofswing86:

One thing that IS emo, is 3/4 length shorts. Sorry guys, but when i see those shorts i really want someone to beat my head into the ground with a baseball bat.

Rory, that's full of shit. You're talking about fashion now. If someone posted in the 'all music discusison' forum saying that your corduroy jacket was shit, you would point out to them that that has sweet fuck all to do with the music.

And more importantly, Anthony Kiedis wore 3/4 length trousers in the video for 'Californication', and that wasn't emo. (Someone please correct me if the RHCP are now somehow emo as well)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't care. One thing which confuses me how people call "emo" a genre, but the amount of music i hear that gets labelled emo is crazy. Im guessing emo isn't a genre as a result. It seems to me that anything people don't like gets called emo. Emo is almost just the "in" word. Its a phase and will end just like the 80s did. Fortunately i will be able to honestly tell my children that i stayed well clear of the emo path.

PS One thing that IS emo, is 3/4 length shorts. Sorry guys, but when i see those shorts i really want someone to beat my head into the ground with a baseball bat.

Emo to an extent started in the eighties...

and 3/4 length shorts certainly isn`t emo...

Next

Originally posted by less_than_stu:

Haha! The Sultanofswing's rant about 3/4 shorts is [partly] because of myself wearing a baggy pair of skate-shorts which he doesn't like.

So basically he can edit his post to say:

Stu .... I don`t like your trousers!

Is he like Serge in Beverly Hills Cop movies...

bhcop3.jpg

"Heh Axel....I really think that these 3/4 lenths don`t suit you.... you need a full length........and.... in blue....yes.... it`s soo... you....It justs says... Hi.... My name`s Axel and i`m a cop......although you are an undercover cop.... so maybe camoflauge blue!"

Maybe he should open a boutique

Originally posted by psydoll:

Then beat the hell outta him with a baseball bat - I believe he requested said action earlier in the thread :p

Pretty Rubbish customer service though....

I mean.. you go in... Get told your trousers are too short and thus buy a new pair.. then get beaten up with a basebal bat....

I`m thinking return custom will be deminished.

Has that 3/4 shorts gone to ppl's hearts? there was supposed to be an element of humour behind it

But i do dislike 3/4 shorts a lot. Just something about them i don't get...

Thus there was an element of humour in the reply.....

However.. the thing that you don`t get....

Is it that you usually see them in skate videos and also worn by kids in very hot urban places...... and that a fair few of the people don`t skate nor do they live in a hot place... or have I been living in the wrong part of Aberdeen for too long and missed something....

Hmm... bet these non skating people with skate trousers will drive 4x4s in 20 years with not a spec of mud on them.....

Just a thought....

It's nothing to do with the people in them - i just think they look silly. They are actually quite funny. I generally don't like shorts. But 3/4 shorts top it off for me though.

How did emo come out of the 80s though? I thought the 80s only created shoulder pads and post-traumatic 80s stress syndrome (AKA Early 90s syndrome). I.e. MC Hammer, Milly Vanilly (that what they were called?)

Most of you, with maybe the exception of Ross, Bee ('cos she's my "bird" and I know she likes some varied, intresting and quality stuff) and a couple of others need to stop learning everything you know about music from Scuzz TV, because your lack of understanding and attack of a "genre" (you can't even identify properly in most cases) is laughable at best and depressing at worst.

I'll lend you a fiver if you promise to buy yourself a clue.

On a lot of American message boards, you'll find emo classed as bands ranging from Weezer to DC through to Fugazi and Death Cab for Cutie. In the UK, we seem to take it to mean H*R, FFAF, Finch. I'd say I'm an emo fan, hopefully not one of the asymetric haircut krew (who can be kinda annoying, but they'll go away like keychains and dreadlocks did), but I appreciate a lot of the bands that fall under this catagory that most of emo's detractors in this message board are to ignorant or too lazy to know about (they don't have any videos on TV, you see!) even though I don't care for bands like Taking Back Sunday.

Don't hate 'em, but I've come to realise I really don't care about 'em. What a lot of you seem to be doing is drawing conclusions from a small (and mediocre) sample size:

"Taking back Sunday or BrandNew don't have as many acne scars/lightning solos as Metallica, therefore all emo sucks'

Good 'een, guys. Next time I see a HIM video, I'll conclude all metal sucks and throw away all my Fear Factory, Therapy and Ministry CD's?

Think about it. You know, if you have the patience or mental dexterity too.

Thanks.

It's nothing to do with the people in them - i just think they look silly. They are actually quite funny. I generally don't like shorts. But 3/4 shorts top it off for me though.

How did emo come out of the 80s though? I thought the 80s only created shoulder pads and post-traumatic 80s stress syndrome (AKA Early 90s syndrome). I.e. MC Hammer, Milly Vanilly (that what they were called?)

Bands like Rites of Spring and Embrace, who wanted to challenge that braindead, aggressive mentality of hardcore appeared growing out of bands that were actully part of the hardcore movement.

They tried to shake things up a bit both musically and thematically.

Originally posted by Ross:

Hmm... bet these non skating people with skate trousers will drive 4x4s in 20 years with not a spec of mud on them.....

I like that :)

Only thing is, I fall into that category. Although I used to skate, so I can justify my ownership of silly shorts, as they are loose so as not to restrict movement, and so as to appear 'fly' :dunce:

Originally posted by less_than_stu:

I like that :)

Only thing is, I fall into that category. Although I used to skate, so I can justify my ownership of silly shorts, as they are loose so as not to restrict movement, and so as to appear 'fly' :dunce:

It`s cos I am usually about once a month.. after drinking a shit load of coffee ... blatantly funny as fuck......sadly it only happens once a month or so....

I`d be a great stand up comedian aslong as I didn`t have to stand up!

You can quote me on that.

Originally posted by Stephen:

Well whilst on topic of Sigur Ros they have a lot more to do with "emo", and sound far closer to emo, than Funeral For A Friend and Finch.

Yes... and a secondary Yes... from the backbench Mp for South Wales