aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Im currently watching Death Race, a simple premiss, take a prison, a race, lots of violence, Jason Statham, the black guy from The Fast and Furious 2 and your onto a winner really, as my flat mate said "has phil seen this film, if not he has to". Added to the collection.

Good to see Gill looking out for me!

Your mistaken, there are varying levels of shit, from absolutely terrible to so shit its brilliant. Death Race is not quite on the far right extreme, but its close. High School Musical is just shit, nothing good about it, Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus is so shit its brilliant, you need to learn the difference i think.

Damn right I'll back you up Milner. Jake, you've never seen smokey and the bandit and you come on here to voice your opinions on films? Milners film choices have served us well. You fucking loved Big trouble in little china. In fact your avatar reflects that! We watched The Expendables the other day. Solid film. What have you been watching? Pish that's what!

• Upvote 1

Beaches - Yes, the Bette Midler one that's got a big gay following. My girlfriend chose it. It was actually OK. Really cheesy in places and tried too hard to be the kind of film that makes you cry sad sad tears, and also Bette Midler is a shitty actress, but it was watchable. I didn't cry.

Cabin In The Woods - Amazing! I highly recommend it to everyone but my advice, go in blind. Don't look it up, avoid all spoilers. I did and honestly don't think I would have enjoyed it a fraction as much if I had known what to expect. Although, I'm going to argue with myself here, I think with repeated viewings this movie could be even better.

So yeah, go in knowing nothing to enjoy it more then watch it again with the knowledge of what's happening and enjoy it even more.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense.

Anyway, go see it!!

• 2 weeks later...
Cabin In The Woods - Amazing! I highly recommend it to everyone but my advice, go in blind. Don't look it up, avoid all spoilers. I did and honestly don't think I would have enjoyed it a fraction as much if I had known what to expect. Although, I'm going to argue with myself here, I think with repeated viewings this movie could be even better.

So yeah, go in knowing nothing to enjoy it more then watch it again with the knowledge of what's happening and enjoy it even more.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense.

Anyway, go see it!!

Saw it last night too. Loved it. Well worth a watch, especially the last half hour or so.

Quite a clever film and pretty funny in places too.

Go see!

Haywire

I had low expectation for this Bourne-esque action movie, but was was pleasantly surprised. Gina Carano is great in the role and Soderberg cleverly doesn't saddle her with too much dialogue. The stunts are great (she's clearly doing almost all of them herself) and even the Kung-Fu (my generic term for extraneous hand-to-hand combat in movies) is credible. A big supporting cast helps, with Michael Fassbender, Michael Douglas, Bill Paxton (looking quite gaunt), Ewan McGregor, Antonio Banderas....and Channing Tatum, who is quite possibly the worst actor in the business. 7.5/10 (loses half a click for having Tatum in it).

A Dangerous Method

The inverse of that was this psychological character study of the relationship between Jung, Freud and a young female patient. I was really looking forward to this, but was bitterly disappointed. Kiera Knightley is just awful as the patient. A real missed opportunity. 3/10

First Do No Harm

With nowt else to watch, we stuck on this free-with-the-Sunday Post DVD about parents, played by the always dependable Meryl Streep and Fred Ward, who struggle to cope when their 4-year-old son develops epilepsy. When the kid doesn't respond to conventional medicine and the side effects prove to be as bad as the affliction, they turn to an extreme high-fat diet that was developed in the 1920's. I only mention this based-on-fact movie for two reasons...

1) during the end credits, the producers reveal that the actors who play some of the hospital staff and patients were all real people who successfully responded to the diet.

...and...

2) the astonishing performance of the kid who played the patient. He had to fake grande mal seizures and had me convinced. Kiera Knightley should have watched this movie before filming A Dangerous Method. 7/10

50/50

I'd heard of this film before but didn't pay it much attention when it was released for some reason. Anyhoo, i watched it last night with the bird and genuinely enjoyed it. Seth Rogen actually plays a decent character for once and there wasn't a huge amount of the 40 Year Old Virgin "you know how i know you're gay" improv humour in it. No boobs unfortunately which loses points under my scoring system but definitely worth a watch. 8/10

Mall Rats

I've been meaning to watch this film for years and im glad i did - much better than Clerks i thought. One thing that annoyed me was Brodie's constant shouting and screaming - it got a bit tiresome after a while. This movie had some boobies in it so earned some brownie points. 7/10.

Fast and Furious 5 - A simple wee jot back with our friends Vin Deisel and Paul Walker, some very realistic scenes like when they nose dive a £250k car off a cliff and just jump out mid air into the water, the simplicity is amazing. Plus there is not another film that will let you see Vin, Paul Walker and The Rock in the same scene, worth my £15 and a take away pizza. BUT, its no Tokyo Drift.

• Upvote 1