aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I watched Death Wish 3 the other night and loved every minute of it (probably for all the wrong reasons).

It's so bad it's good, ropey acting, badly staged action sequences, Bronson running around like a 19 year old, hundreds of bullets flying and every one misses Charlie but every time Charlie shoots, he hits his target every time.

A 'Switch off brain and sit back and enjoy' movie. I miss cheesy 80's action movies.

Burke and Hare - great fun and loads of cameos, a real spot the actor! Even legendary effects man Ray Harryhausen makes an appearance! Really enjoyed it.

Another Year - More brilliance from Mike Leigh, despite being quite slow throughout and running at just over 2 hours - utterly absorbing and super performances from everyone.

Youth In Revolt - INB4 name that Michael Cera film etc. I thought this film was brilliant. Lots of small parts for Actors that are pretty big, which was good. I could go "oh I know him! and him!". Cera played the parts of Nick Twisp and Francois Dillinger brilliantly. I think the only thing about it is is the fact that it's Cera playing a bad ass. He does it brilliantly and very funnily, but just because all his parts have been George Michael Blooth-esque, it's quite strange to see him play a different role. But never have I laughed so much as when a half naked Cera stomps on a French matrons feet to get a dog. Brilliant.

Paul

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost play sci-fi geeks on a road trip to visit various sites of extraterrestrial significance who chance upon a real alien called Paul (voiced by Seth Rogen) and assist him in his efforts to escape shady government types. Kristen Wiig also stars as a creationist Christian converted by knowledge imparted by Paul, turning her into a crap-swearing born again ladette.

I've been a big fan of Pegg/Frost since 'Spaced' and although Pegg has appeared in some ropey mainstream efforts, I thought this was great, very funny and lots of film references for the movie geeks. I spotted a fair few from 'Repo Man' to 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' and natch 'Star Wars' but I'm sure there will be many I missed. Ace small appearances from Jeffrey Tambor as well.

10/10

Paul

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost play sci-fi geeks on a road trip to visit various sites of extraterrestrial significance who chance upon a real alien called Paul (voiced by Seth Rogen) and assist him in his efforts to escape shady government types. Kristen Wiig also stars as a creationist Christian converted by knowledge imparted by Paul, turning her into a crap-swearing born again ladette.

I've been a big fan of Pegg/Frost since 'Spaced' and although Pegg has appeared in some ropey mainstream efforts, I thought this was great, very funny and lots of film references for the movie geeks. I spotted a fair few from 'Repo Man' to 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' and natch 'Star Wars' but I'm sure there will be many I missed. Ace small appearances from Jeffrey Tambor as well.

10/10

I loved this film. I don't think i couldn't picked a better cast. And the cameo at the end is probably one of the best I've seen in a long time. And she's still looking like she's worth one.

The Expendables

Fucking ridiculous yet I watched the whole thing with a massive grin on my face and laughed my ass off throughout. Surprisingly most of those laughs were with the film rather than at it.

I was a wee bit disappointed by that film, I was expecting stupid but ace and it just wasn't as ace as I thought it was going to be. I think I want to try it again though, sometimes repeat viewing with lesser expectations proves more fruitful. Although I did really like the bit after Stallone had a big punch up and when someone asked him what happened to him he replied "I got my ass kicked".

Allegedly Stallone is talking to Bruce Willis about a bigger part in a sequel. That would be ace-ic.

I just recently watched 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They?' and absolutely loved it.

It's so intense, in a very negative way, almost uncomfortable. Weird plot/storyline, but still enjoyable. Jane Fonda looked absolutely amazing in that movie.

I re-watched the Futurama movie "Bender's Big Score" last night, which I was pretty scathing about last time I watched it.

Futurama - Bender's Big Score. As a huge Futurama fan I had high hopes for this but I was very disappointed. You know how when you watch a new episode of the Simpsons, the animation all looks flashy and shiny, but the 'jokes' completely fall flat? It's like, although it's a cartoon, it actually used to have a sense of realism to it, and it used to be quite grounded, characters could only do things that real human beings could do, and would only behave in ways that would fit in with their characters. But now it's actually like a cartoon, all zany antics, and ridiculous things happening, eg. Bart getting drunk on Jack Daniels in the movie - this would never have happened in the earlier series because it just doesn't fit in with Bart's character. Well, the same has happened with Futurama, it's just become zany and stupid, whereas the jokes used to actually be quite clever and were usually character driven. Stuff like Fry's stupidity and Bender's obnoxiousness were the humour of the earlier series, but they've taken out the character based humour and replaced it with pratfalls and ridiculous things like Hermes having his head chopped off and still being able to talk. This whole film was just a massive fail, I laughed about three times in the entire movie. It's also just full of in-jokes and thinly veiled swipes at Fox for cancelling the program. Matt Groening, has completely lost his touch, and if this manure is what the new series of Futurama is going to be like, I wish it had just stayed cancelled.

*1/2

I liked it a lot more this time, yeah they're a lot of the wackiness that ruined the Simpsons, and it's got very few laugh out loud moments, but it does have a lot of what Futurama became in the latter half of series 3 and series 4 - a solid sci-fi plot, sentiment, and characters which actually have depth. It's less funny than the earlier series, but way more mature and with a lot more substance. I actually really like it this time. Opinion changed. Sorry Matt. :kiss: