aberdeen-music

What music magazine do you read?

bryn

I think that Uncut has gone downhill a bit recently, but I can't quite put my finger on what is wrong with it..

I'm not liking the fact they have cut the movie section way down, I preferred the mixture...I subscribe to it but I am thinking of cancelling, I think they have recycled the same stock of bands far too much now...I've actually been finding Mojo has been quite good the past few issues. I don't buy The Word often but the ones I have bought I thought were OK, may try that for a while as well.

Berni has spoken!

Indeed I have. Nah, I mean, I really only look at guitar stuff. I did buy total guitar, but it's a fiver a month I can't currently afford... YES i'm that skint. Ultimate-guitar.com does tell you quite alot, I guess. Metal Hammer is okay, sometimes.... sometimes.

I think I bought Kerrang! once for a CD that was on it, I never bothered actually reading the words or looking at the pictures.

Thus my magazine buying story begins and also ends.

Used to go to drownedinsound.com a lot but that faded out for no particular reason a couple of years ago. Maybe I'll go back there some time.

I think I bought Kerrang! once for a CD that was on it, I never bothered actually reading the words or looking at the pictures.

Thus my magazine buying story begins and also ends.

Used to go to drownedinsound.com a lot but that faded out for no particular reason a couple of years ago. Maybe I'll go back there some time.

I think you should go back to DiS, because they have great writers, like me, arf!

The Quietus and Line of Best Fit are good British websites also.

None, nowadays, I get Guitarist. Guitar Buyer and Sound On Sound, but the UK music press is dead, and thus a waste of cash, the quality of writing is appalling, fuckin Beano in '78 was higher brow. Guardian Film & Music section on Friday is a)Sufficient b) I would have bought it anyway. I wish The Face still existed, it was proper funny, or the NME had journalists instead of morons that struggle to fill a tweet, let alone a 5 page socio-political whatever.

Seriously, find some Music Press from any period between'75-'95, read it, then read some contemporary pish, then despair, honestly, a fuckin Kerrang from '86 looks like Dostoyevsky next to todays anything.

GAH!!

I wish The Face still existed, it was proper funny

Yes! I full endorse this statement :up:

I do still buy NME maybe once every second week or so. It boils my fucking blood sometimes, but I enjoy having a music magazine that's weekly as opposed to a months worth of music news/reviews crammed into one 4 magazine. Even though 2 thirds of the writers at NME are ballsacks, there are a handful who I really enjoy reading.

I picked up an Uncut the other day, mainly because it had two long and very good features on Joanna Newsom and Orange Juice (the latter was a brilliant read) but I thought 4.50 was pretty steep.

I read the odd music website i.e Pitchfork, DrownedInSound etc but the problem with internet stuff is that the internet is for nerds. And its run by nerds. And its rubbish. (removes tongue from cheek).

Yes! I full endorse this statement :up:

I do still buy NME maybe once every second week or so. It boils my fucking blood sometimes, but I enjoy having a music magazine that's weekly as opposed to a months worth of music news/reviews crammed into one 4 magazine. Even though 2 thirds of the writers at NME are ballsacks, there are a handful who I really enjoy reading.

I picked up an Uncut the other day, mainly because it had two long and very good features on Joanna Newsom and Orange Juice (the latter was a brilliant read) but I thought 4.50 was pretty steep.

I read the odd music website i.e Pitchfork, DrownedInSound etc but the problem with internet stuff is that the internet is for nerds. And its run by nerds. And its rubbish. (removes tongue from cheek).

Having read NME a few times recently I'd say it has improved a bit. Some of the longer reviews are well written and there's greater breadth in their coverage now, although it feels a little like they're just playing catch-up with Pitchfork, DiS et al. It's certainly improved since Conor McNicholas left anyway, although you seriously wonder how anybody could write an article hailing Mumford and Sons as revolutionary and also think the fact that one member plays banjo is worthy of a "(!)".

Having read NME a few times recently I'd say it has improved a bit. Some of the longer reviews are well written and there's greater breadth in their coverage now, although it feels a little like they're just playing catch-up with Pitchfork, DiS et al. It's certainly improved since Conor McNicholas left anyway, although you seriously wonder how anybody could write an article hailing Mumford and Sons as revolutionary and also think the fact that one member plays banjo is worthy of a "(!)".

Agreed, I'm delighted the horrible lad-rock regime of McNicholas has now been ended by the far superior Krissi Murison. It's such a breath of fresh air hearing an editor enthusing about genuinely fresh and exciting bands like Titus Andronicus and The Joy Formidable for example (as she was recently) instead of hearing McNicholas with his unbuttoned shirt and gold earring talking about the fucking Twang.

There's clearly some hangover of the whole 'naughty boys at the back of the class' vibe that's been at NME for years as I recently read an article about 'How Mephedrone and other legal highs could change the face of music'. I cringed so much I briefly time travelled.