aberdeen-music

What music magazine do you read?

bryn

I was in the school library alot last week as my INT2 Hospitality class (!!!!) had finished, so I stuck to the huge rack of NMEs. Its a really shit magazine - ever ready to promote this whole NME post hardcore (?) image:

ciggarrettes - most likely Malboro

greasy-but-loveable hair

emoish clothes

You know the kind?

also, almost every band featured is called 'the....'

The datsuns

the libertines

the darkness

the von bondies

the strokes

the white stripes

cant think of any more at present but u get the drift

I blame the state of music partly to magazines like Kerrang and NME who seem to push image rather than music and generally speak shit.

What magazine do you read??

Originally posted by bryn:

I was in the school library alot last week as my INT2 Hospitality class (!!!!) had finished, so I stuck to the huge rack of NMEs. Its a really shit magazine - ever ready to promote this whole NME post hardcore (?) image:

ciggarrettes - most likely Malboro

greasy-but-loveable hair

emoish clothes

You know the kind?

well thats the biggest pile of shite ive read in a while and it doesnt get much better after that

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Fuck the mainstream music press, all too ready to first suck your cock and then fuck you up the arse when the 15 minutes of fame are up. I recommend Maximum Rock n' Roll.

Haha stephen does that mean you read NME? hahaha

honestly man, I mustve read 20 this week - the idea was that it promotes a certain amount of image those were examples to back up the case....

rock sound, NME, kerrang, metal hammer are all guilty of cashing in on image

Guest stuartmaxwell

is this music? which is not that great, full of twee music ,small enclosed area got a mention and there was a needles interview, review, gig review (with deadalus and hail ceaser)

i have finally stoppped buying the nme, after whinging every week for about 4 years i stoppped

melody maker was pretty good mind you

Guest Scott 5FD
Originally posted by Jimmygoodein:

i bought the total guitar bass special a few weeks back. thats it really

where did you get it from, been looking for it for ages.

i generally read Big Cheese?, Alternative Press when i can rememebr about it and sometimes Maximum Rock And Roll.

i might occasionally read Kerrang! at work to check up on CD release and tour dates.

None at all other than Guitarist which is well...a guitar mag...though they do albumn reviews so I read those. I buy Total Guitar for the lessons and tabs...the gear reviews are too small and there's never enough but that's where guitarist makes up...buying both gets the best scope though I could live without total guitar...seems to be aimed at 14year olds these days.

I have bought metal hammer before when there was a Metallica special. I have an issue of Q because it had a large article on radiohead. I can't read NME because the way they write reviews gets on my tits and usually leaves me pondering what they meant rather than wether or not I should check an album out...on the other side is Kerrang...I like my reviews in plain English but there's something very dim about the Kerrang's I have read...

You can't read The Face anymore. Which makes me sad. So one day this week I read about 500 of them while hunting for an article about kidnapping for sexual kicks. Hot shit. Come get me.

The only music articles I like these days are in Vice. Because they're real and about a variety of bands/artists. I am so elite it hurts.

Image in modern day music is more important than the music...

The music industry is now very much a business.

The underground is now overgrowd and the wombles ain`t free.

The NME and Kerrang and all music press are just trying to sell issues....

Remember a massive spread on the biggest thing in music that week will draw a shit load of readers. Page 24 special on the best new underground band to hit that week does not... However one pays for the other...

If you don`t like the magazines then don`t buy them or start up your own.....Remember fanzines with bands nobody has ever heard of sell shit loads cos they`re cool...