aberdeen-music

best concert/gig ever

withoutaspine

alright. here we go. if this has already been a thread, my sincere appologies.

tell us who, when, why and how.

let me start it off....

a perfect circle.

best fucking gig i've been to in a long time.

why? because of the atmosphere, because of the venue, because of maynard.

to make it better, i met them afterwards. but that's straying off the subject here.

followed closely by a perfect circle, it would have to be.....

a) queens of the stone age

b) opeth

c) fear factory/korn/static-x ( i got to be in the ff film clip! woot)

1) Manics, December 4th 2002 at the SECC - fucking incredible as far as emotional rollercoasters go..I think the entire day was an event, from meeting loads of people in the queue to randomness all round, ending on the absolute high that was A Design For Life with the entire crowd singing along. I was tempted to say V2002 instead, but no, the SECC grabs it. Sadly, it's probably the last time that they actually mattered anymore - but what a great memory to end it all on.

2) The X-Certs, 2nd January 2004 - simply because there was something electric in the air, and how often do you get to experience that, especially locally?

3) My own promoted gig - simply because it was more of an event for 50/60 friends from the halls that i stayed in, everyone really enjoyed themselves and it was worth all the trauma that it took for the thing to take place. It wasn't the most professional of set ups, wasn't the best of organisation..but watching some people who had never played in front of an audience before really step up and do themselves proud was possibly again one of those life changing events. A friend of mine was utterly nervous as fuck about doing a solo acoustic set, especially after he was drawn to go on after all the other acoustic spots - he had never performed before in front of an audience that wasn't just a few friends, and he managed to really make something special happen.

this thread has been done before, but It's a good un...

too many "best gigs" to mention, but, here's my faves (I can remember!).

mr bungle : astoria : 2001

fudge tunnel : pellican 1994 (?)

tool : garage (glasgow) 1995 (?) - the undertow tour...fucking cracking, they played "no quarter"...ooh...

jesus lizard (and stanford prison experiment supporting) : garage (1995)

soundgarden : barrowlands (1994)

young gods : garage (1995)

low : lemontree (2003)

oh, too many..I'd bore everyone.(or have I already ?....hehe)

napalm death at kef, 2001

jesus jones at cambridge corn exchange, 1991

stetsasonic at cambridge corn exchange, 1988

buzzcocks at lemon tree, 2003

charlatans at brixton academy, 1995

JJ 72 at t in the park, 2001

morrissey at capitol theatre, 1991

morrissey at brixton academy, 1995

julian cope at shepherds bush empire, 1995

maple at the lemon tree, 2003

Deftones @ Barrowlands 2003 -

so. so. so. good. after hearing reports that they weren't exactly hot shit at braehead, i was dubious...although the crowd anticipation in the queue (where i was at the front) was high...i'd already stood mere inches from my hero as he signed my copy of 'around the fur' and i could barely contain my excitement...the doors opened and we rushed upstairs. The first band on, Revolution Smile, i don't rate too highly on record but they pummled out some decent tunes live and the drummer, Jeremy is a top bloke. Then after their set, about a half hour later, the lights dimmed....i'd been praying for it all day and good god were they answered...a small wail from the guitar and i already knew what they were opening with....each member joined the rest onstage as they crashed head first into 'be quiet and drive'...and i've never smiled wider, i acutally cried tears of pure joy. They were fantastic. highlights - 'hexagram', 'headup', 'bloody cape' and...well....everything...

Biffy Clyro - King Tuts TITP warm-up show, July 2003. There was no support so a couple of hours was spent sitting around waiting. When the time came, the "toys" sound from tvob album played on the speakers before they broke into toys,toys,toys,choke,toys,toys,toys. absolutely stunning. They even played hope for an angel, which was very very special. And ended with Simon on top of the crowd and James screaming into the mic. A very special night indeed.

Franz Ferdinand - Kef, November 2003. Im not sure I would like to see them too much anymore, but rarely have I felt the urge to dance so much at a gig before. I'll never see them in a venue this size again, and I'm not surprised after their performance.

Public Enemy - Music Hall, April 2003 - 2.5 hours set was just amazing. a true spectacle

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Leeds 2003, Barrowlands April 2004 - both amazing, singalongs a plenty

Placebo/The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster @ Caird Hall, Dundee

Ladytron @ The Lemon Tree

HIM @ Barrowlands

Muse/Soulwax @ Lava

Deftones/Taproot/Linkin Park @ Barrowlands

Incubus @ S.E.C.C :D

Guns 'n' Roses @ Leeds festival

Placebo/Six By Seven @ Music Hall

Idlewild @ Gig on the Green

I'm sure there's mair but I'll stop :D

Hmmm

Let's see:

Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell 2 Tour, Aberdeen AECC - 94

Marillion - Brave Tour, Glasgow Barrowlands - 94

Fish - Misplaced Childhood night, Enschede Musiccentrum, 02

Marillion and Jo McCafferty, Sheffield Hallam - 02

Fish and Jo McCafferty, The Venue, Edinburgh - 03

The H-Band and Jo McCafferty, Hellendoorn, Holland - 02

Brian May Band, Edinburgh Playhouse - 93

SAS Band and Roger Taylor and Brian May - Ocean, London, 02

Def Leppard, Glasgow Barrowlands - 03

The Eagles, Hampden, 01

Ray Wilson, Maddogs, Edinburgh - 01

All great gigs for different reasons

Cheers

Stuart

The Who...Parkhead 76(?)

Led Zeppelin...Earls Court 75

Roy Harper...Edinburgh 75

Davy Graham...London late 70s

Pixies....Aberdeen 89

Sonic Youth.... Glasgow 89

Velvet Underground...Edinburgh early 90s

Slim Gaillard...Glasgow....early 90s

Townes Van Zandt...Lemon Tree 94

Love...Lemon Tree..... 2001..?...(the 1st one)