aberdeen-music

How many of you are students?

The_Fifer

Archies: Cheap

The Moorings: Cheap

Aberdeen Union: Cheap (especially mid-week)

Justice Mill: Cheap

Tripple Kirks/Exodus: Cheap

RGU Union: Cheap

Priory: CHeap Midweek

Hogs Head: Reasonable

Tilted Wig: Reasonable

Prince Of Wales: Reasonable

Blackfriers: Reasonable

Wild Boar: Reasonable

Siberia: Reasonable

Snafu: Depends on the night

Enigma: Depends on the night

Liquid: Depends on the night

Tiger: Expensive

Pearl Lounge: Expensive

Paramount: Expensive

Espionage: Expensive

That about covers the places I've been recently. It's not just a price list, but an overall price / quality / atmosphere / clientele rating.

Not a student, but I know the student market pretty well.

You'll be lucky to find a "regular" pub with pints at less than the 2 mark. There are a few places on Belmont Street that do student offers, Triple Kirks being the most student-friendly of the lot (four pint pitcher of Carling/Tennents at 5.95with a Scream Yellow Card, many other deals on individual nights). The Moorings does a student discount as well, although it is a bit off the beaten track (this isn't a bad thing, though, the people who make the effort to go there are worth meeting, and the quality of drinks on offer is excellent). The Bassment has good deals on cocktails, and their prices in general are pretty reasonable. The music and clientele are always good as well.

Of course, you could always go down the tried-and-tested student route of going to meat markets like Liquid, Tiger Tiger, Espionage and Priory. They have pretty cheap drinks sometimes during the week, but they're not exactly keyed towards the discerning punter. I have yet to spend more than five minutes in any of them without trying to psychically conjure up a harpoon gun. The vibes are not good.

Pfft i try the same thing every time i'm in exodus too, there are almost as many arseholes.

im at aberdeen uni, most aberdeen uni students drink in the bobbin (scream pub) because its close and cheap cheap cheap. a few lagers are less than 2 a pint but taste pish, then again you get what you pay for. In town itself cheapness usually depends on what day of the week. Paramount (which isn't really my cup of tea) does vodka/mixer for 1 on a wednesday which is nice. Pearl Lounge which attracts the same crowd as paramount is also very cheap on a wednesday. Liquid is buy one get one free fridays i believe. Triple Kirks/Exodus is also a scream place so cheap as you like. Tiger Tiger is cheap on a Monday....i think you get my point! Be warned Tiger Tiger, Liquid, Pearl Lounge attract a large percentage of cunts.:up: Basement is awesome at all times. please excuse my erratic use of capital letters.

The food from the Bassment is a fair whack better and still fairly cheap.

Have they changed their menu recently? I went in for food last week for the first time in about 6 months and didn't really see anything worth mentioning.

Ma Camerons is my favourite place for pub food. Slains is a close second.

Ma's is good (big portions, lots of meat in the pies), but I eat there too often. I'm getting fed up of the standard belhaven menu.

Illicit Still does good grub as well, although last time I was there I was disappointed to learn the giant yorkshire pudding filled with sausages and mash was no longer on the menu.

Illicit Still does good grub as well, although last time I was there I was disappointed to learn the giant yorkshire pudding filled with sausages and mash was no longer on the menu.

It's been terrible the past 3 times i've been in there.

The cooked breakfast was soggy, the chicken fajitas swimming with grease and the salad all brown. The service was appaling and it wasn't just my meal that was rubbish on each occasion.

Suffice to say I won't be back there for a LONG time.

It's been terrible the past 3 times i've been in there.

The cooked breakfast was soggy, the chicken fajitas swimming with grease and the salad all brown. The service was appaling and it wasn't just my meal that was rubbish on each occasion.

Suffice to say I won't be back there for a LONG time.

Hmm that's nae so good. I was there a couple of weeks ago and had a pretty decent chilli bowl, but it was a monday night and it was dead so maybe they weren't under pressure so it was easier to get right.

Hmm that's nae so good. I was there a couple of weeks ago and had a pretty decent chilli bowl, but it was a monday night and it was dead so maybe they weren't under pressure so it was easier to get right.

Aye, I seem to remember the chilli bowl being good, but again, when I had it it was a quiet afternoon.

You'd think the chef(s) would manage to cope with it being busy though. Ah well, i'll maybe go back in a few months time.

I'm looking for new places to go for food though, so it's maybe not a bad thing.