aberdeen-music

Explain Your band name please

psydoll

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stuartmaxwell

its about this really deep well near the old fountain, people used throw stones down it, unfortunately there was a guy stuck at the bottom called "or", he later died from consqequent head injuries

its a tribute to him

the main character in james joyce's portrait of an artist as a young man is called steven dedalus. as is our singer. who read the book at school in northern ireland.

nothing to do with greek mythology, so would people please stop spelling it that way!*frowns in the direction of the lemon tree*

Nope, well... heres my theory. Element 106 means "heaviest metal in the periodic table". Spike, well thats grindcore/noise, I dont like to compare the 2 bands because they have very separate entities. For "Heavy metal" I think element is pretty heavy, for "grind" I think Spike is pretty heavy. It is like comparing the DTB to Strapping Young Lad though min. Of course Element is not as chaotic as Spike but we certainly seem to be getting a bit heavier as of late

Originally posted by Bob:

Point of Origin: A book. I'd love to hear "The No Pints" excuse. I mean, explanation.

yes it is more of an excuse than an explanation. my original name for the band "...And so it burns" didn't really fit the kind of music we ended up doing...so while still thinking of a name Sharon had offered us our first gig and for tickets, needed to know our name asap...I asked guitarist Andy and he said "The No Pints" with a grin on his face...supposedly some kind of pun which he explained about No points...hmm...I didnt get it but at least it didnt sound like the whole usual turd emo band names that are constantly rephrased and re-used and couldn't really bothered thinking of anything else and so despite the fact none of us are straight edge we were stuck with the name...hmm...at least it beats the name of my old indie band..."The Abyss"

Guest Scott 5FD

there's two Five Finger Discount 'how we got our name' stories. neither are very good:

1. Ruari will tell you that we got the name after our friend Ewan wrote a solo for one of our songs and we stole it, effectively a 'five finger discount'.

2. i think we got the name because we started off by doing covers and so were getting a 'five finger discount' on other people's songs.

and Snake also says 'cool, five finger discount' in The Simpsons, he's a big fan.

Originally posted by Scott 5FD:

and Snake also says 'cool, five finger discount' in The Simpsons, he's a big fan.

No he doesn't... It's actually 'four finger discount', and isn't it Jimbo who says it?

Originally posted by Soundian:

I'm afraid those clever boffins have made at least 5 other elements since then.

But to be fair Element 106 (Seaborgium) is still the heaviest element to be officially tested and confirmed...

*awaits smack upside head*

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

No he doesn't... It's actually 'four finger discount', and isn't it Jimbo who says it?

But to be fair Element 106 (Seaborgium) is still the heaviest element to be officially tested and confirmed...

*awaits smack upside head*

Where do you get your info from? A quick search and 112 was the heaviest confirmed with up to 118 reported, and this is 2001 info.

*smacks*

Originally posted by kirkt:

yes it is more of an excuse than an explanation. my original name for the band "...And so it burns" didn't really fit the kind of music we ended up doing...so while still thinking of a name Sharon had offered us our first gig and for tickets, needed to know our name asap...I asked guitarist Andy and he said "The No Pints" with a grin on his face...supposedly some kind of pun which he explained about No points...hmm...I didnt get it but at least it didnt sound like the whole usual turd emo band names that are constantly rephrased and re-used and couldn't really bothered thinking of anything else and so despite the fact none of us are straight edge we were stuck with the name...hmm...at least it beats the name of my old indie band..."The Abyss"

It's a better story than a band name to be fair. It sounds kind of emo to me as well. But then, NOFX is a shitty name for a band. And PoO is poo.