aberdeen-music

Smoking Ban

Guest Ibid

The Musician's Union has been consulting its members about proposed smoking bans in pubs and clubs.

However, this issue does not just affect the pros. What is everyone's feelings on this subject?

Yes or no.

I must add, I have no particular axe to grind on this issue. Although I don't smoke myself, I suppose common sense indicates a ban would be a good thing. I'm not enitirely convinced that passive smoking is as bad as is made out.

Originally posted by Ibid:

The Musician's Union has been consulting its members about proposed smoking bans in pubs and clubs.

However, this issue does not just affect the pros. What is everyone's feelings on this subject?

Yes or no.

I must add, I have no particular axe to grind on this issue. Although I don't smoke myself, I suppose common sense indicates a ban would be a good thing. I'm not enitirely convinced that passive smoking is as bad as is made out.

Don't be so sure....I spent only a couple of months sharing a flat with people who smoked only in the evening...and it has seriously fucked up my throat.....they knew how bad I was coughing at the time, which I put down possibly to cold....its been 3 months since it started thought and isn't stopping anytime soon....

Bring back the bands like lifer, that go kicking booze and fags out the crowds hands :D:D:D

I wonder what all the musicians who smoke will think of that.

I think it will be hard to ban smoking in pubs and clubs. In resteraunts and public places yes, but have a look round any pub on a Firday night and see who is smoking. I bet it's a high percentage, especially if you compared it to the amount of people smoking on the street.

Plus, the government makes a lot of money from tobacco taxation...... Sinister.....

Not saying I'm for or against here, but I imagine a lot of people will be vehemently against banning smoking in clubs and pubs.

Craig

Smoking sucks (apart from cigars, which look cool), I hope they ban it in public places soon enough, it's not fair that people who have to work in pubs and clubs should be burdened with cancer and other ill effects of smoking.

Although what craig said is true, the government get minted from tobacco taxes every year so they probably want people to keep smoking.

Aye, but who is gonna wanna stand outside smoking?

a) it'll suck

b) the bouncers will notice how pished you are and not let you in again.

c) i) you'd end up with a big gang of pished up guys standing around outside and more than likely start causing trouble.

c) ii) That would make bouncers' jobs even more difficult, dealing with a gang of pished guys, plus alll the usual door hassles. And we all know bouncers are the most a) pacifist or b) reaosnable people, so someone is going to get a hiding.

Craig

Originally posted by craig deadenstereo:

And we all know bouncers are the most a) pacifist or b) reaosnable people, so someone is going to get a hiding.

Craig

Like Up-Front Security in Glasgow who dragged my mate into an area they new to be a cctv blackspot and hospitalised him?

I think it will be unwelcome not only from the point of smokers, but from publicans as well. A ban on smoking in a busy pub would be immensly hard to police, and many pubs may see themselves being disadvantaged by adopting a no smoking policy. How many smokers want to spend the night in a no smoking pub?

Deadloss went to Newcastle as part of their tour last year and played a community centre that was no-smoking throughout. It was surreal to see James and Craig unable to light up during the bits in Stars where they're not doing much. They looked so agitated.

I don't think it will work. People will be less likely to show up at a place where they can't smoke. To be honest, the only time it bothers me that people are smoking is if I'm eating. So fair enough, a restaurant ban might make a bit of sense, but a pub and club ban would just be ridiculous and unnecessary.

You know what I totally don't understand. People who only smoke on a night out. You're not hooked, you know it does horrendous things to you body - what's the point? It's almost like it a 'trying to impress people' thing, whether conciously or subconciously. I'm not directinh that at you, just social smokers in general.

I think the only sensible course of action is making it voluntary. Maybe a small incentive, I dunno slightly lower rates, for non-smoking pubs/clubs would encourage places to introduce a ban.

That should solve most problems, if you don't want to go to a smoky pub, go to a non-smoking one. If you enjoy a smoke with your pint, go to a smoking pub.

Originally posted by soundian:

I think the only sensible course of action is making it voluntary. Maybe a small incentive, I dunno slightly lower rates, for non-smoking pubs/clubs would encourage places to introduce a ban.

That should solve most problems, if you don't want to go to a smoky pub, go to a non-smoking one. If you enjoy a smoke with your pint, go to a smoking pub.

But the thing about that it, many non-smokers and smokers are friends and want to go to the same pubs and clubs, you don't want to have to not hang out with your friends just because they smoke and have to go to another bar to do so.

Originally posted by Skamikazee:

But the thing about that it, many non-smokers and smokers are friends and want to go to the same pubs and clubs, you don't want to have to not hang out with your friends just because they smoke and have to go to another bar to do so.

If cigarrettes are more important than your friends then you've got problems.

You don't have to stay in the same place all night either.

I really can't see it working...if I look around at a gig, a large percentage of the crowd and the musicians themselves are smoking, so don't think they would take too kindly to a ban.

I also see the point about it being hard for club managers to monitor and think it would be fairly unpractical.

I think Britain will still take few years yet to put a ban place, we always wait to see how it workes in other countrys. if they did have a ban it would never work. I've seen people smoke all sorts on public buses were it is banned, the staff of pubs and clubs will never be able to keep an eye on everyone. I think they should just leave it alone, or take it to the extreme of splitting clubs and pubs into smoking and non- smoking.

It's an excellent idea, infact, i think we should ban smokers from society as a whole, they can be like outcasts, a bit like in fahrenheit 451 where they banned books, we could ban smokers, and burn anyone who smokes, ehmm yeah see the connection?

Originally posted by Lawy Lawson:Attorney:

Yeah. I've met some people who go goddamn crazy if they can't smoke somewhere, so it could effect crowd numbers.

and

Originally posted by Scott 5FD:

it's a tad unfair on somkers, no?

it's discriminating them because of the fact they smoke.

have you SEEN that smoking advert, where smokers obviously live a reduced quality of life, the woman doesnt like the restaurant, the man cant afford the sofa and the father doesnt enjoy his quality family time, therefore the smokers are obvoiusly discriminating themselves...geez get a life...watch more TV

ps, its okay, im ill and dying and over dramatising

Originally posted by Sky:

Being in a smoky enviroment for a couple of hours a week isn't going to be the end of you

It could be... and some people who work in bars etc are often in very smoke-filled environments for much longer. To the smoker it's one or two cigarretes, to the staff it's 6 hours of inhaling. It also affects other people who work in these such environments such as bands, so I can see where the Musician's Union is coming from.

My Uncle was diagnosed with a serious lung condition a few years ago. The doctor recommended he stopped smoking immediately as this was doing the damage.

Funny thing is, he'd never smoked a day in his life, but had played in bands for over 20 years. Passive smoking is a serious issue, and the idea of a band in public places shouldn't be thrown out without consideration.

Originally posted by The_Tank:

I think they should just leave it alone, or take it to the extreme of splitting clubs and pubs into smoking and non- smoking.

That wouldn't make business sense.

Originally posted by melonpie:

It's an excellent idea, infact, i think we should ban smokers from society as a whole, they can be like outcasts, a bit like in fahrenheit 451 where they banned books, we could ban smokers, and burn anyone who smokes, ehmm yeah see the connection?

and

have you SEEN that smoking advert, where smokers obviously live a reduced quality of life, the woman doesnt like the restaurant, the man cant afford the sofa and the father doesnt enjoy his quality family time, therefore the smokers are obvoiusly discriminating themselves...geez get a life...watch more TV

ps, its okay, im ill and dying and over dramatising

Um, what?

So you really have never met someone who won't go to the cinema because they can't smoke there, because I have friends like that.

Originally posted by soundian:

If cigarrettes are more important than your friends then you've got problems.

Maybe your friends arnt friends at all if they will discriminate you for something you choose to do.

Personally i think people should stop whining about it, there was no problems before why is there one now??

I dont know though im not exactly sure where i stand