aberdeen-music

5 best guitarists ever?

ChildofBodom

fair point. but becker is still composing great music today, despite his condition. i would say i like friedmans use of scales better though, there are very few guitarists who play like him, so id say friedman was more unique. as far as technical guitar playing though, becker was more innovative. there isnt 1 'shred' guitarist today that hasnt learned from beckers playing.

Both were amazing in their own right, and they made one of the best Guitar duos ever. Cacophony anyone?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is this thread -> http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8455 for the sadder guitarist out there who wants to look at lists of guitarists made by other guitarists. I'm including myself there.

My current top 5 favourite guitarists (at this moment in time) are:

1. Thurston Moore/Ree Ranaldo

2. Kevin Shields

3. Billy Corgan

4. Joey Santiago

5. Tom Verlaine

...not that they have really influenced my guitar playing really, I'm just a 3rd rate B0lly/Cobain impersonator.

1. Hendrix

2. Ira Kaplan

3. Neil Young

4. Bert Jansch

5. John Dietrich

Favourable mentions to Stuart Briathwaite, Jonny Greenwood, Frank Black, Tom Verlaine, Kevin Shields, Jeff Tweedy, Lou Reed, Peter Green...

I don't think it's even worth pointing out why these guitarists are so great. The playing speaks for itself.

Django Reinhardt

Jimi Hendrix

Ry Cooder

Nick Drake

John Martyn

There are so many others I'd love to include, and I really love that Chet Atkins video. I don't understand why finger acrobatics allegedly make great guitarists though. No accounting for taste, eh?

Guest Gregor Ascension
I don't think it's even worth pointing out why these guitarists are so great. The playing speaks for itself.

Django Reinhardt

Jimi Hendrix

Ry Cooder

Nick Drake

John Martyn

There are so many others I'd love to include, and I really love that Chet Atkins video. I don't understand why finger acrobatics allegedly make great guitarists though. No accounting for taste, eh?

i kinda agree with your last point, but its seems that the most popular stance around is that 'finger acrobatics' actually makes you a bad guitarist. some people like that sort of music.

i kinda agree with your last point, but its seems that the most popular stance around is that 'finger acrobatics' actually makes you a bad guitarist. some people like that sort of music.

I hear that, but you also get the people on the other end of the scale who base their oppinions of a guitar parts quality on how easy it is to play.

"best" is impossible to determine. My favourite's however are (for 'lead' playing):

Marty Friedman (Megadeth)

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)

Michael Romeo (Symphony X)

John Petrucci (Dream Theater)

Michael Ammott (Carcass/Arch Enemy)

All of them wrote brilliant solos as well as being able to play really well, and have influenced me greatly.

I'm not particularly interested in whose 'best', but my five favourite guitarists are probably

1 Robert Johnston

2 T Bone Walker

3 Buddy Guy

4 John Martyn

5 Nick Drake

But I guess Muddy Waters, Son House, Blind Blake, Lightnin' Hopkins, Elmore James, BB King, Albert King, Freddie King, Hubert Sumlin, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Willie MacTell, Rev Gary Davis, Albert Collins, Clapton, Robert Cray, Peter Green and Kelly Joe Phelps are up there for me too!!

Guest DustyDeviada
paul simon (not for his skill but the song writing)

I almost put Paul Simon down as one of my top five. He is an amazing acoustic player.

Try playing something like "Kathy's Song", very tricky.

Guitarists who have influenced me and who also happen to be awesome:

Dimebag Darrell

James Hetfield

Kelly Joe Phelps

Stephen Carpenter

Tom Morello

Honourable shout outs to Marty Friedman, Dave Mustaine, Klaus Eichstadt, Kim Thayil, Dave Gilmor, Tony Iommi and Jimi Hendrix.

Yup. I bet most "shredders" wouldn't be able to play something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NdC3nD9870

I wish you'd been in Musa last night for Martin Stephenson. There was some amazing pickin' going on...

He's got the 'Atkins diet' down pretty well, he often separates the 'left hand piano part' from the 'right hand part', then puts them back together. Great stuff.

Guest Bob Double Jack

In no particular order:

Slash - just awesome

Steve vai - not everyone's cup of tea but a great player

Joe Satriani - better songwriter than Vai

Alex Lifeson - tremendous and vastly underrated

Randy Rhoads - my personal hero

my favs you'll probably all think are shit, but I dont really care....

to my knowledge, i have never heard anything by any of those bands. is such music widely available? i've got a feeling it'll not be my cup of tea but i'd be keen to try it out (and if you making me a cd/fancy swapping compilations, give me a holler!)

/x

to my knowledge, i have never heard anything by any of those bands. is such music widely available? i've got a feeling it'll not be my cup of tea but i'd be keen to try it out (and if you making me a cd/fancy swapping compilations, give me a holler!)

/x

Im willing to do a CD of all sorts of weird techy grind stuff.

Or I could put up a few myspace links just noo min, but that doesnt mean I get to show off why I love their guitar playing, cos they might not have the songs up.

I forgot to say RIP in Mieszko's name, he died in the tsunami two years ago while on holiday with his girlfriend, and Nasum, of course, split up.

Discordance Axis (listen to Castration Rite): http://www.myspace.com/discordanceaxiss

PsyOpus (listen to Death, I... or The Long Road to the 4th...): http://www.myspace.com/psyopus

Pig Destroyer(unfortunately Hyperviolet isnt on ehre, but thats a song with a hell fo a guitar line): http://www.myspace.com/pigdestroyerband

Nasum(RIP): http://www.myspace.com/nasumband

Narcosis: http://www.myspace.com/narcosisgrind

It's so tough. But,

Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)

Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)

Tom Morello (RATM)

Malcom Young (AC/DC)

Matt Bellamy (Muse)

All float my boat.

Hounarable mentions to

Joey Santiago (Pixies)

Alex Lifeson (Rush)